Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Joe Hunt HEI magneto look-a-like

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Frames

Frames

Who has had a problem with one????? My 1st one [Dodge Hemi] would not start right out of the box. They replaced the module. It crapped out at 165 miles. They replaced the module. It crapped out at FOUR miles. I installed a Mallory. I had also installed a Joe Hunt in a 312 Ford. It smoked when I tried to start it. They fixed it and told me the bill was $200.00. I talked them down to $100.00. I sold it for $450.00. [ $400.00 LOSS] Buyer said he was going to send it to Bubba for an up grade fix.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My pal in Bakersfield bought a deuce 3W "streetrod" that came with one of them in it (sbc), one of his first outings it crapped out on him. Had a local shop look at it and he said it had a loose internal connection. Got it running, apparently he put the problem in the next owners lap, he sold the car.

3. Apparently fake magnetos are known to be genuinely problematic.

4. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

My friend has one for his Jimmy, had a problem. Bubba in Indy has a shop and will make them run well, forget Joe Hunt for repair. Bubba is a Jalopy Journal member

Kan Kustom and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A search will turn up that those fake mags are nothing but trouble, and that if you plan on using bubba to not be in anything resembling a hurry.

Lots of threads on both

jimmy six, 5window and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. 7,500 miles and trouble free.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  7. You are one of the lucky ones. I know of four guys that have had them and had nothing but trouble.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. 32Stoker

32Stoker

I heard from Hunt directly that these distributors will only work with carbon core spark plug wire. Also I know you MUST run an external coil with them. How are you guys with the failures running them?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Kan Kustom likes this.
  9. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

They have made a couple versions, one uses a pertronixs style module and the other uses a magnetic trigger much like the mallory . Both use the same ignition coil with a metal screw put inside a carbon plug wire for a coil lead. This is a problem as the screw will allow arcing and the arc burns up the wire as time goes on....The best fix i have have found is to run a external wire for a external ignition coil. ( can mount anywhere) This requires a modification to the distributor cap ( another cheap copy) for a external secondary lead . Leave the coil in the mag and just cut the output lead off .....dont take the mag apart as the rotor index will be off. Has to be adjusted with a distributor machine. But man do they look good ??!! rbg :>)

10. I have the version with the Pertronx module. The Joe Hunt cap started cross arching before we got the car out of the garage the first time. I have no idea why this happened, but a Vertex cap was a quick fix. I also had to totally dis assemble the distributor to shorten the advance curve. When i set the timing at 9 degrees of initial advance, the total was around 45 degrees. The easiest fix was to weld the slots in the advance plate to cut the movement in half. A Sun distributor machine would have been nice to test the advance befor reinstalling, but I managed without.

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Man am I glad we have Bubba ! He is one of those rare treasures in our hobby.

warbird1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. 5window

5window

Ah, what price beauty?

13. Fakes are never as good as the real thing.

427 sleeper likes this.
  14. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Which style is better...the Pertronix or the Mallory?

Couldn’t the ignition coil metal screw be changed for one that doesn’t arc?

Where is the best place to run the external wire for the external ignition coil? From the cap stud/secondary lead to where on the engine (for example)?

15. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Actually the mallory (magnetic trigger) would be the best one.. The coil wire (and coil) cant be fixed as the carbon wire is damaged when the screw is put into the wire busting up the carbon lead wire . Use a terminal and black cap (vertex) along with a new Vertex distributor cap , remove the spring (under the cap) and drill thru the contact area under the cap . The use a connector (crimp style) to connect the coil lead to the remote coil ( not really noticed anyway with te other eight)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Any chance you could post a picture of this mod? I have one for a Nailhead and would rather fix it before it's a problem. Glad to have you guys and this site available

17. @GMC BUBBA hasn't been here for the last few weeks.

18. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Mallory type that I removed from my 53 Merc......no issues but went with a SBC dizzy.
    It's available if wanted ;)

19. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Which defeats the whole purpose of a magneto!

mad mikey likes this.
  20. Old thread. Anyway, I and many others have heard nothing but bad news and horrible reviews on this Joe Hunt fake Mag crap.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.