Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 to flathead pressure plate questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Sep 1, 2019.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

Been reading the tech threads, and probably too much on line references, and getting myself confused.

I have an 8BA with the truck adapter, and the Speedway/Offy type adapter to the s-10 t5.
    The 10" pressure plate with weights, states it needs "clearancing" to fit, but the 10.5" without weights does not.
    How much are we talking here? hit it with a grinder, or put it in a lathe kind of clearance?

The 10.5' plate is on backorder for a month from Speedway. Is there a cross reference part number to use for a different brand 10.5 plate? Who makes these for Speedway?

2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The counterweights on a 10" long pressure plate will contact the inside of the adapter. It's pretty common to cut the weights off to fix the problem, but I'm not so sure that's the best solution. I'm wondering if the 10.5" pressure plate doesn't even have counterweights?

I would skip the stock long pressure plate all together, and put on a 10.5" GM diaphragm pressure plate. Literally just grab an over-the-counter LUK replacement at the parts store. You're leg will greatly appreciate the lower efforts!

This will require you to redrill the flywheel though......

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

thanks Cory
    The 10.5 does not have the weights.

I see the GM style pressure plates, but do they require a different throwout bearing too?

4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've ran them with either the Ford large diameter throwout bearing, or the smaller GM style throwout bearing (modified to fit the early Ford bearing carrier). I found no benefit with the latter, so I would just go with the stock Ford stuff.

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

That looks just like the LUK pressure plate I bought at Mazza Auto Parts by my house, so it should work. The curved fingers are a match too.

7. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

For what it's worth, I think I paid that much for a clutch kit that included a disk and a throwout bearing - and I got it that day. I went for the unanimous 1970 Camaro with a 350 to get the 10.5" clutch with a 26 spline disk.

millersgarage likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Try Rock Auto for a clutch kit. A few months ago I got a LUK kit for my ‘37 Chevy for $90, diaphragm style, bought an S-10 disc to substitute for $30 or so. If the Camaro kit has the correct disc already in it, that’s even better.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  9. uncle buck

uncle buck

I think Cory has the correct answer with going to a diaphragm pressure plate . Gearheadbill just went through doing all this work and the pedal is extremely stiff. If you don’t want to redrill your flywheel, call Fort Wayne Clutch and tell them what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  10. millersgarage

millersgarage

i've seen a few references to a NAPA ca30, but it's an old part number.

anyone got the new part number?

11. millersgarage

millersgarage

also a 360030 pp