Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Firewall Mounted Electric Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard Reed, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

30` Model A using original fuel tank. I want to mount an electric fuel pump on the firewall, then the fuel pressure regulator/with pressure gauge, then to the 2 port fuel block to run 2 Stromburg 97s. If I mount the fuel pump on the frame, it means running 2 lines(which is not a problem) but it will be close to the exhaust system. I do not think the gravity system will work reliably as the fuel gets lower and when going up hills. My question is, will the firewall setup work and if not, what would be the most serious problem(if there is any) to contend with? For extra info, I have a fuel filter in the tank and the one in the sediment bowl. I would come off the sediment bowl with a 90 degree elbow to the fuel pump and you know the rest of the story.

2. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

This is my setup on my 29, no regulator. Only just put it together so have no real world experience with it yet.

20190902_170721.jpg

3. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Very nice. I never considered putting the system inside. Great idea. Thank you.

4. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

P.S. I forgot to ask you about your engine and carburators?

5. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Stock banger with header and intake, has a single 94 on it but I have a 97 I'll try on it.

6. sedantudor

sedantudor

From my experience electric fuel pumps work best when they push fuel compared to pulling fuel. If you can mount the pump as low as possible and gravity feed the pump, then have the pump push the fuel to the carb, that should work best. I have run numerous electric pumps on my ford and they kept burning up after a couple of months. These pumps were everything from the NAPA special, to expensive Holley pumps. Although I did have success for quite a while with the Holley Mighty Might pump. I finally went with an in the tank pump and no problems for years. Another recommendation would be a fuel pump relay. Summit makes a nice kit for this and it is relatively inexpensive.

7. I not too crazy about having the pump inside. Could you mount it on the outside right toe board?

I would suggest a ball valve shutoff inside.
    Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  8. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

86A61ACC-8D97-4537-BCD1-FF3560B2F4A2.jpeg A3EFF236-A1EB-491F-8536-F402E1AB71B0.jpeg I got rid of the manual valve and installed a in line 12v shut off inside ,,I also wasn’t keen on the pump inside so mounted it on the bell housing ,,in between i used a filter ,,it’s not pretty but it works,,

Attached Files: