Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Went out to shop this morning early before the rest of the guys arrived. Dumped the oil back in the 37 all eight quarts of it. Fired it up , let it warm up everything looked great :D. After that pulled Steve's blown sbc off the run stand and helped him install it in his 49 Olds. Sat around and bench raced with the guys before hopping in the 37 and driving it home, Street tire's are a joke with the new engine:cool: Good day in my book...

stillrunners, swade41, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  2. Kinda makes it look like a 58 ford car grill?

3. mopar362000

mopar362000

Made motor mounts trans mount for 53 ford ht.Started to remove straight from 50 ad pu to install mustang ii front end gave it to 21 year old granddaughter

4. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I've decided that I'm going to fix one thing every day. Today I set the timing on the Avanti the fast idle straightened up the gas pedal linkage I mowed all the weeds around the garage got an old pair of pajama bottoms wrapped up in the mower and fixed that. Went to the deli for coffee the girl flashed me ,nothing to fix there. All my cars are pretty well done but little annoying things need to be taken care of. I tell my customers and friends try to work one hour a day on your car you be surprised how much your accomplish in a short time

Algoma56 and lumpy 63 like this.
  5. Pulled the original seats out of Blackie.....and tore off crap to the springs.....a job fer sure.....going from the sbc/39 top loader set up that was - back to a flattie fer sure - and maybe 3 on the tree ? Had an old Don's Speed Shop decal....with a TE-440 ? IMG_20190820_195046_310.jpg 20190816_192251.jpg IMG_20190820_195046_310.jpg 20190816_192251.jpg IMG_20190820_195046_310.jpg 20190816_192251.jpg

6. sorry about that........

Lil32 likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Slept and watched some of the drags..

8. Another day of nursing a bad back here, sucks, yesterday I went out to mount the new lower shock bolts and shocks on the 57 p/u, made it as far as the bolts before I abandoned ship....maybe tomorrow
    FB_IMG_1567400194167.jpg

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to install the junkyard rotors on the o/t truck since I will need to use the truck today.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swade41 I got to tell you man I can hardly see whats in your posts with your profile pic/avatar!

11. Took my 34 roadster for a drive today celebrating my 86th birthday. Might have to take a nap now. Get ready for the lobster tails my bride is putting on the b 34 roadster top down.jpg arbie.

12. Happy Birthday !

WB69 and Lil32 like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Swade ,I sure like the fact that you are reconditioning the stock front suspension on your truck! So many guys just rip out the original and put in some car suspension! To me they are doing all that work and putting a weaker suspension in! Maybe the thing to do on some trucks...... but those models of Chevy trucks drove like a dream, back in the day. We had the same year Fords on the ranch and my friend had a 58 model Chevy, 1/2 ton, short wheelbase,283 4 speed. Upon occasion I drove his truck and was amazed at the difference! And I’m a dyed in the wool Ford guy!

Bones

swade41 likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

OldWolf, again we cross paths! Early in my career I worked for the City of Muskogee, Summers, between school and they put me on a 424 International with a side mount sicklebar mower. I loved that thing! All our sicklebar mowers on the ranch were mounted behind the tractor. While I loved mowing grass/hay with them , I always had to look behind me to watch the grass fall. I alway wanted one of those side mounts for my 504 International so I could look forward, but could never find one. And here you’ve got one on your JD!

We have to be cousins!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

-- Happy Birthday - looks like you celebrated it the right way

Lil32 likes this.
  16. If not cousins Kindred spirits any how. I bought the JD government surplus. $750 with a stuck engine. Turned out the engine wasn't stuck. The water pump bearing was frozen and the starter burned up. I repaired it with stuff from my hoard. only cost was a bit of time. I also had in the hoard a set of new teeth. I had to buy some rivets and some bolts to hold the guards to the bar. I still have several NOS guards if needed. Yep Its hard on this old man to be constantly looking back. The mower lifts hyd. and a second hyd cyl lifts the bar. and I can lift the bar completely vertical. The power steering is great and it has a half cab to help keep the sun off me. So I can now mow hay and then rake with the tractor without having to remove the mower. Real good rubber on the rear. and Remington wide brute tires on the front that have been recapped as a three rib front tractor tire. Only negative is its a industrial tractor and don't have a PTO or 3 point hitch.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yours must be hydraulic drive then? My 424 was pto drive and could also mow vertically. I originally had a five ft bar I wanted to replace it with a nine ft bar, but they only let me replace it with a seven ft bar. Once they found out I could mow vertically, by me showing them how I could clear alleys with it for garbage trucks, that became my main job for the next two Summers!

Next time I’m in Arkansas, I may stop by and visit.......cousin!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Went to the Labor day auto swap and show at Qualcom stadium. I usually never find what I am searching for, But today I scored 2 15x8.5 slot mags to go with the 15x4s that I just got for my 37:cool: Scored em both for 70 bucks:D. Then I headed over to the Lug nut guy and bought a full set of lugs + center caps...Hung out with the guys then headed back to my place to move the ot 65 mus%&#* over to my buds shop so he can plumb the turbo and intercooler for the ot chevy engine thats in it. Good day in my book;)

stillrunners likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It's Labor Day. I didn't do anything. :)

stillrunners and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. flatford39

flatford39

Did the pie cut to my split Model A radius rods on the front end of my AV8. Turned out really nice. dropping off the inner F1 steering column at a local hot rod shop tomorrow so they can shorten it.
    I have it all measured and marked for them. Shouldn't take anymore than an hour to weld.

I can weld a little but am a little intimidated about trying to weld a hollow shaft steering column. I would blow holes in it and never get it it true.

Sometimes it's best to leave some things to the pros.

Hopefully I have a fully steerable chassis in the next few weeks.

stillrunners, GordonC and swade41 like this.
  21. Ok we would have a good visit. my 301 tractor has a mid mount gear drive pto there is a good sized crankshaft driven pump at the front of the tractor making it live hyds. lots of volume and pressure the lift on the mower and sickle bar is very touchy and super fast. It has more than enuf hyd to operate a front end loader. I could build a three point lift that uses a external cyl. they made some that had a rear PTO. If I get this tractor set up like I want I will likely sell part of my Farmall collection. Gonna sell the 350 gas row crop any way. I don't like it its nuthin but a glorified H in a fancy dress. I just posted a few pictures over in the Antiquated forum who has tractors thread.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  22. Im not certain but I think a 424 international has internal Hyd? I simply do not like internal hyds. My JD has all external Hyd. and a dry clutch with a dual stick 8 speed std trans.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You are right, it does have internal hydraulics. Back in the late sixties, when I was hired to operate it, it was like 2/3 years old.... and had shinny paint! That was something new for me, it had a four speed/ 2 speed. I operated on city streets and was in high gear a lot, I got to where I could shift it on the go like a car! The only thing it lacked was power steering and it was heavy on the wheel!
    I went to a farm auction some years later, and that farmer had purchased it from the City, but it when for more than I had at the time!
    We have a 1934 WC that has a mid mount sicklebar, but it has a pitman arm and no live power and only a five foot bar. Wouldn’t be fun to operate!
    I used to cut hay with my 504 with a 1300 International nine foot sickle bar! Man that was fun, I loved doing that!

We don’t cut hay anymore, so I reckon I’ll never get a midmount sicklebar! But that’s OK. I’ve got my cars and lawn mowers , now to play with!

Bones

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    osage orange likes this.
  24. Cleat

Cleat
    from Gifford WA

Pulled the fenders on my shed find. 20190829_070148.jpeg 20190829_070209.jpeg 20190901_180711.jpeg 20190901_180646.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners, 40two and Lil32 like this.
  25. Cleaned my little garage, then moved on to the shop, got sort of organized, mounted the drivers seat in the Fargo then decided what then hell. Took it for a quick drive down the highway. Made it a couple miles with no trouble, another first for me and the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

32SEDAN and stillrunners like this.
  26. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I put new LED tail lights I got at Louisville on the 3 window. No one will miss those.

27. mopacltd

mopacltd

Needing a shifter for my front engine dragster build. Found one on Craigslist , called the guy, he informed me it was for a powerglide and we made a deal. Drove 2 hours to pick it up only to find out it was for a 3 speed. Gate is welded in so I am unable to make it work. Of course on the way home I was informed that I was buying the wife dinner at Outback. Yep, you got it.....the money for the shifter went directly to pay for dinner! What a day*#/!

stillrunners, lumpy 63 and rudestude like this.
  28. rudestude

rudestude

I wish I still had my old front engine rail, all I have left from it is the shifter..actually just the lever from the 2 spd. Lenco manual air pump, it was a pre reverse required car, the shift button was mounted on top of the rear end housing right above the nut sack...and on the housing was a sticker that read "Bullit Proof" almost...had a 392+ Hemi with Hillborn Injection setup for alcohol it also had a complete 2nd Hemi with injection setup for gas...it was cool, first kid on the block with a real dragster...tried to hide it from my parents but it was to long and I couldn't get the garage door closed... 1567588601832~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. mopacltd

mopacltd

That looks just like my brake handle from my previous Enderle injected Hemi FED.

30. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Charles if you would hone your cooking skills , you wouldn't have these issues...+ more money for hot rod parts...

osage orange likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.