Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I keep burning up alternators..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FloridaMan57, Sep 1, 2019.

1. FloridaMan57

FloridaMan57

So I’m keep going through alternators. 2nd one in a week. I think it’s delco cs130. The “L” wire is running back to the ignition I think, but I haven’t traced the wire. Otherwise, it just has the one wire running to the battery. I pulled the wire to the battery and my voltmeter is only showing about one volt of output....just crappy starters from O’reillys, or am I doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Read the battery voltage with the engine off, then do it again with the engine running. If the voltage is the same, the alternator isn't charging. The voltage should be about 12.6v engine off on a charged battery. At idle if the alternator is working you should see over 13v but some of those single wire alternators don't charge much until the engine revs come up.

Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  3. Whats the part# that you are using?

Have you tried to raise the RPM and see if voltage comes up?

4. Also that being a CS style alternator do you have FULL 12v going to the L plug
    If so you will fry it every time

5. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

6. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, you need to connect the S wire to the battery also

Also never disconnect an alternator output wire, and run the engine...they don't like that.

7. FloridaMan57

FloridaMan57

Thanks guys, guess I need to find the right adapter plug