Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Champion Cast Iron Ford Flathead V8 Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29Roadie, Sep 1, 2019.

1. 29Roadie

29Roadie

I'm trying to find out more information on Champion cast iron cylinder heads.
    Were these made by the same company who makes the Champion spark plugs?
    I know now these days Champion Spark Plugs falls under the Federal Mogul umbrella. Was this also the case in the early 50s too? I know they were earlier than the 50s but those copper Federal Mogul heads were about the coolest looking heads made in my opinion. Is there any connection?

I've searched all the old threads here but rather than resurrecting a nearly 10 year old thread in the search for new info I thought this deserved a new one.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rare-flathead-heads-let´s-see-some.445039/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...out-early-champion-heads-for-flathead.474225/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...termarket-cast-iron-heads.86306/#post-1038796

I remember seeing a picture years ago of a 1932 pickup Ryan had (does he still have it?) and I'm pretty sure he had Champion heads on it.

I've scoured the web for info and pictures. I've just found a handful of pictures but that's it. I did find a great source for some old catalog info http://vintagewheelcatalogs.com and the owner was very helpful. He sent me scans of the 1953 Fenton catalog I was looking for that showed the Champion heads. It didn't really give me anymore info on the company that made them but it's still good info I didn't have. I also have a pair of the Kogel Rocket Racer heads on the same page. So that was cool to see.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
    001.jpg 002.jpg

2. v8flat44

v8flat44

Guys on The Ford Barn & The Early Ford V8 club may have info you are looking for too.

3. alchemy

alchemy

So do you have a pair? I’ve heard they crack frequently. Are yours good shape?

4. 29Roadie

29Roadie

Yes, I do have a pair. They have been magnaflux tested and they check out with no flaws. They show very little if any use.

V8flat44 I'll check out the Ford barn and maybe the Early Ford V8 club too but the HAMB is my go to first. Cheers,

Spooky likes this.

5. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Back in the 1950's Federal Mogul, Champion, and Kogel would have all been separate and different companies. Through racing at the California dry lakes they more than likely all knew one another. There is a good possibility that the Champion heads could have been cast by Albert Champion himself; the founder of Champion spark plugs that bears his name.

6. 29Roadie

29Roadie

When I first started trying to find info on them I looked to see if I could find any connection to Albert Champion, Champion spark plugs and even the AC spark plug company but found none. Albert Champion died in the late 20's and he had left the Champion company and started the AC company years before that.

I'd like to know where the Champion heads and Kogel heads for that matter fit into that amateur racer market. Any info really. I think the Kogel heads with their 25% larger water capacity and really cool chamber design were pushing innovation a bit more. But I'm just coming to that conclusion on my own.

The knowledge base is quickly disappearing and these not so common odd ball parts aren't referenced a lot of places. I have a few different small ads for the Kogel heads but I've only seen the Champion heads listed in the Fenton catalog at this point.

7. 1C5E3A2B-4271-4B48-9DCC-235DDF66278F.jpeg There was also another cast iron head for flatheads that the name ALLSTATE was cast in capital letters across the head.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Now that we are naming other cast iron aftermarket heads, we can include Thickstun.

9. 29Roadie

29Roadie

I've seen a couple of pictures of Allstate heads in the past but I didn't realize they were cast iron. I'm guessing that was something sold through Sears. One day I'd like to see Don Garlits collection of stuff. There's a couple of cool videos of him and some of his flatheads.
    The Thickstun cast iron heads are pretty cool and an interesting part of history.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/thickstun-heads-cast-iron-and-aluminum.626165/

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Shawn,
    Changed your handle I see.....more well suited to be sure!
    Where did you pick these heads at? You have too much cool old stuff!

29Roadie likes this.
  11. 29Roadie

29Roadie

Haha ya. Hey I like your pic!
    I've had an Alliance membership for years but I just wanted to see if anyone would talk to a new guy.
    I just stumbled onto the Champion heads recently. An old collector of speed parts down south.
    Maybe you can up your sand casting game a few degrees and make me some bronze heads?
    I'll be selling some old hot rod stuff at the White Post on Sept 21st. If you don't mind dodging the TV cameras you should stop by.

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about brass heads? I have a big bucket of old firehose couplings that might make good heads.

BlueHeart and 29Roadie like this.
  13. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i had a set of CHAMPION heads, i was told years ago that they were sold by SEARS

14. 29Roadie

29Roadie

Oh really, interesting. That one I should be able to verify pretty easily by checking out an old catalog.
    Thanks.

15. Cndhotrod

Cndhotrod

Just saw this thread as I'm not here often. A friend of mine has a single NOS Champion cast iron head for a 49/53 ford flathead. He's looking for another for a pair. I'm sorry but I don't know which side he has. but I can find out. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you.