Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1948 SCTA Hot Rod Exposition Marketing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyBob, Aug 30, 2019.

1. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Been going thru a collection of photos and misc from the Jim Lindsley family for future art/history projects. Jim was a founding member of the Gear Grinders, helped the SCTA get of the ground with his wife Phyllis' help, multi dry lakes and Bonneville record holder, etc, etc.... More to come on this in the future.

So I find this marketing foldout promoting the first SCTA Automotive Equipment Display and Hot Rod Exposition from 1948. This is the Expo where they built and gave away a roadster that went on to race the dry lakes, promoted building a drag race track from proceeds (didn't happen), and had the clubs displaying many now iconic cars. Has anyone ever seen this before - couldn't find anything on this piece, just the program. Check it out. Posting then taking the 39 on a run, so will respond later...

When unfolded, this is what it looks like...about 20x20 inches 20190829_123614.jpg

On the other side are these incredibly cool pages you can read when folded up.
    p 1 small.jpg p 2 small.jpg p 3 small.jpg p 4 small.jpg
    Enjoy....and let me know anything you got about this Expo and/or cool flyer.

Anderson, loudbang, stanlow69 and 6 others like this.
  2. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

That is a great and interesting piece of history. Thanks for taking he time to share it. I hope you will have more to come.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes thanks. I love reading the history , especially at the start.

Stogy likes this.
  4. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Hoping a few of you got to read the mission statement of the event. Maybe it's just me, but I think this is amazingly cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Bob, like you I love the early history of the hobby. I don't have anything from the 1948 show per se, but I do have a small b&w SCTA pamphlet thanking those that helped with the first show and announcing the second (1949) show.

I also have the program from the 1949 show. This is a 30 page program and includes a Speed Directory & Hot Rod Handbook. The 49 show was held Jan. 21-30, at the Nat'l Guard Armory.

Mick img417.jpg img419.jpg img418.jpg img420.jpg

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great stuff guys. Love it!
    I'm guessing the 1948 promo was sent out to prospective exhibitors (speed equipment Co.'s, local Custom shops, etc) in an effort to sell out the 76 booths. I'd imagine most of them were round filed rather quickly.
    It's an awesome piece. Very well done and maybe quite spendy to produce so maybe only a few hundred were sent out. You may have the only surviving copy!

39ChevyBob, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool piece of History...really paints a picture not unlike the fight today for understanding Hotrod build styles and being intertwined with regular modern Automobile mechanical standards.

They were fighting and organizing for rights and understanding as well.

It was the infancy of organized drag racing off the street...the landscape of Hotrod/Custom/Race was at some of its Peak Creativity...safety was also evolving as the Speeds were increasing but it sure was still Wild Times...Thanks for sharing that @39ChevyBob...

39ChevyBob likes this.
  8. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

If it's not the only one left, it's never been shared before that I can find. Jim Lindsley would have had this as he helped promote the show along with Wally Parks. I handed it back to Gary Lindsley (current owner) this morning, and told him to please frame and preserve as it seems no one has seen it before.

9. MGOpt

MGOpt
    from Dayton, OH

That is an amazing fold out of the inside of the exhibition - like others, I have never seen this before. I think this show is interesting because it still sets the tone for hot rodding. I have programs from the first and second show - I believe they used to belong to SCTA member Bert Letner - along with some CT News that mention the shows (and also mention Veda Orr's Lake Pictorial). Unfortunately, my kids have little interest (I feel I've failed on some level, lol) - one day I will have to find a suitable home for it all... so much of this stuff looks insignificant unless you understand the history you are looking at.

Thanks for sharing that fold out!

sodbuster likes this.
  10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

VERY Cool!!

Chris Nelson
    Kansas