Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Adjustable reamers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Aug 31, 2019.

1. bct

bct

Could I do my own ford car kingpins with these? Anybody have first hand experience? Critchley blue point is the brand. Considering a longish drive to buy them 20190831_123101.jpg

Thanks

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If the sizing is correct, then that's the set to have and if the price is right---go for it, just remember to take lite cuts and sneak up on it

3. bct

bct

What's the drawback between an adjustable to fixed other than operator error?
    Thanks

4. King pins should be done with a piloted reamer to ensure that the upper and lower bushings are reamed in alignment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64, loudbang, Deuces and 4 others like this.

5. Joe H

Joe H

I used a set like that on my '37 Chevrolet, spindle bushings fit without reaming, axle size needed opened up for oversized pins due to wear. Had no problems, light cuts, check often.

Deuces likes this.
  6. If you keep an eye on e bay ford type reamers pop up from time to time.They ream one hole while being guided by the other.If you try doing one side at time with a non guided reamer the two holes wont line up enough for the pin to go through both.

Deuces and RMR&C like this.
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you use the adjustable reamer, only turn the adjustment screw about 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time and sneak up on it. It'll take some time, but you can get a perfect, very light push fit or as the old German machinist taught me how to ream 50-years ago used to say, "Loose, mit no shake".
    I've done dozens of KP fittings over the years for friends with no problems.

8. So how do you get those straight reamers to work with split kingpin bushings? I've never been able to. They hang up on the seam.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Those are piloted reamers. That's what the tapered thing is for. Never used then for king pins. But have used them on airplane parts several times. Worked fine. Just do what everybody says. Take small cuts

Deuces and bct like this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was disappointed in the slack when I paid 'professionals' to do my Ford kingpins in 1968 so I bought an adjustable reamer and did the next one myself. I was still disappointed in the free play so now I cut'em close and use brake hones to finish

11. I was taught that you never turn a reamer backwards. Does that rule still apply and what about any kind of lubrication?

akoutlaw, Deuces, bct and 1 other person like this.
  12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

If your not carefull you can cut a taper with adjustable reamers. Set them up with a mic or good vernier. Fixed Would need to be hand reamers, not machine reamers. You’d have to buy the exact size in fixed , probably only good for someone doing that size all the time.

13. Correct! Never turn a reamer backwards. No lubrication, and never take more than a quarter turn when going larger. After you get the fit like you want it on the first spindle, back off the reamer 1 turn and then do the second spindle. Just don’t go more that 1/4 turn when enlarging the reamer. This is exactly how I learned to ream kingpins with 22 years ago. Make sure to use the pilot on the opposite end when reaming. It might help to use a helper to hold the pilot while you are getting the hang of it. Use an actual bushing driver to install your bushings into the spindle and wrap a hose clamp around the bushing at the top to keep the bushing from spreading out while driving it into the spindle. I’ve done hundreds of spindles like this over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, akoutlaw, '51 Norm and 3 others like this.
  14. The hose clamp is a time proven tip. To expand on that, I was also taught to put a clamp on all 4 bushings, snug them down flush to one end and put them in the Freezer over night. You take them out one at a time picking them up by the clamp only with screw driver in hand giving the screw a little extra turn. Heck, they will almost drop in the hole, a couple light bumps till the clamp touches the part and remove it and finish setting it in. Some bushings come pre drilled for the grease fittings so be sure to line things up accordingly.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

One of these is the ticket, glad to have it in my tool collection! :p

reamer.jpg

DDDenny likes this.
  16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

2X for what Rich Fox stated. I have a set just like that. The conical piece with the knurling on it is used to center the reamer, on the opposite side of the cut. I lubricate mine with WD 40. Work slow, if you take out too much material it's over.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I have a set of them and they work well. One thing you may have to get is a pilot extension, which is used when the bushings you are sizing are too far apart for just the basic reamer. The pilot extension threads into the reamer and makes it longer. The set the OP is looking at may have them, can't tell by the photo.

DDDenny likes this.
  18. bct

bct

I'm going to get them . Price is decent. Thanks for the wisdom everyone.

loudbang likes this.
  19. I have an adjustable reamer, and even though I don't use it much any more, it is an excellent tool for finishing king pins or for doing pistons. As the posters have stated above, use a mic to set the reamer, take small cuts to gradually approach the final fitting.
    I have an old hot plate that I used to fit the pins into the pistons without forcing them. It works great. I have upgraded to one of those portable ovens that you can find at Goodwill or any other second hand store. It doesn't take up much room to store it when you are not using it, and can also be used to heat welding rods.
    You could use your wife's oven, but stealth is involved.

Bob

Truck64, bct and Truckdoctor Andy like this.