Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tools/ Things found on the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Aug 28, 2019.

1. stinger40

stinger40

Found a hi-lift jack on highway 94 in east San Diego county in great shape just missing the pipe handle. A couple years ago driving through a busy intersection in Chula Vista saw some shiny things laying in the road, told my wife I think those are tools! Pulled over and picked up an almost complete set of parts store branded import/chinese metric wrenches (only one that I could not find or it would have been a complete set, probably the 10mm). They had some road rash from getting run over a few times but otherwise were fine. Since it was a busy intersection I had to venture out in the crosswalk when the light was green then make sure it was safe and dart out and grab one or two at a time till I got them all. My wife could not understand why I would risk getting hit by a car for $20 of wrenches. I can't understand why she needs 50 pairs of shoes.

61Cruiser, Happydaze, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

3. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wasnt technically ON the road, but was in a parking lot.......envelope with $3500....and nothing written on it. Took it into the adjacent bowling alley and asked the manager if anyone had lost an envelope...a young lady popped her head up from behind the counter and literally screamed ME ME....she knew exactly how much was inside...had saved it to buy her a car so she wouldn't have to ride the bus anymore...was happy to return it and got a free soda for my trouble.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done a lot of work on the road going from fire house to fire house for my job. Have picked up many things. Two stay in my mind.
    Stuck in traffic one morning, I looked over near the Jersey wall and saw what looked like some money. It had gotten near the storm drain but never went in. Got out and grabbed it. Checked later and it was a Navy I.D. with 23.00 wrapped around it and rubber banded.
    My grandmother was in a group home for allsheimers patients. So I used the dough to take them some treats. And put the I.D. in the mail box at the post office.
    The other time, I was called in early on a Sunday morning. Driving around the Baltimore beltway I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I got off at the next exit. Went back only to find out I didn't go back far enough. Got back off a and went back again. Found a 36" aluminum pipe wrench. Got to the fire scene and the ladder truck was there with it's ladder stuck in the air. But everything else was gone. Whoops!

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

A fvcking soda? 10% "finders fee" is traditional in these situations. Proper Etiquette is important, or I'd be looking at maybe a 100% "lesson learned" fee.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. It wasn't his money. He did the right thing. I am sure no reward at all would have been fine with him. Just the feeling of doing something right is often rewarding enough.

eddie1, Joemama, Chavezk21 and 18 others like this.
  7. 26Troadster

26Troadster

wife and i picked up a small change purse, when she handed it to me it had 35.00 and 3 or 4 rings in it. we put a add in the paper and had lots of calls but no one could tell what the rings were. wife still has them now. god looking back that was 30 years ago. lots of tools a couple of tarps and a tire plug kit that came in handy shortly after found.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. <-- This - all day long.

I've been finding and returning things (when I can) for many years. 3-4 years ago I found a brand new $800 iphone left behind at a downtown Seattle smoking spot, while I was on my way to catch the bus home. The woman had simply set it down, while she smoked and walked away. She thought it was long gone. When she came to my home to collect it a day later, she tried to give me $100. As soon as she offered, it sort of disappointed me in a way. I refused to take the money because I knew it would interfere with my satisfaction of returning the phone. People are taking (stealing) things all day, everyday from people. I like the satisfaction that comes with going the other way - that the world doesn't need to be so heartless, selfish & cruel.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I didn't say it was his money, and I know it's the right thing.

My point is this kind of honesty is rare, and one of the reasons as a practical matter is maybe because nobody can be bothered to reward people properly for their honesty. $3500 cash is a good chunk of change for most people. See where I'm goin' with that?

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Maybe she thought you were rude for not accepting it? Courtesy is a two way street.

11. Fordors

Fordors

We don’t know that the young lady did not make a monetary offer, it may well have been refused flatly, but the finder settled for a cold drink as his reward.

Chavezk21 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Don't think so, but I suppose anything is possible. I said something to her about how I enjoy the satisfaction that comes from getting things back to their rightful owner. She didn't seem offended or disappointed by that and gave me a nice compliment.

For some reason, your incentivized return thinking has me remembering this...

A few years ago I was standing in a 3-4 person deep checkout line at a grocery store waiting to be rung up, as were others in other lines. A few lines away, was a woman juggling a few groceries while she fished a $20 bill out of her wallet to pay for her items. For a brief moment she dropped the $20 bill, and was unaware of it. I was just getting ready to say she had dropped her money, when she became aware of it on her own. I saw the woman waiting behind her size up the situation, bend over and pick up the money just a moment before this same time. This all happened fairly quickly, the first woman knew the second woman had just picked up her $20 bill. I think she thought the woman would simply hand it back to her and reached for it. The 2nd woman said something along the lines that it was lost and she had found it. The first woman was very surprised the second woman was not going to give her back her $20. 1 or 2 others standing closer had witnessed the same thing I had and told the 2nd woman to give the 1st woman the money back, that she had simply dropped it. The 2nd woman put up a brief argument but eventually gave the money back due to the mounting peer pressure, and was INDIGNANT to do so.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  13. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

Hey, this is as weird as what happened to me. I was driving my friend's car and picked up an open end wrench in the right rear tire. Punctured right through and blew the tire all to shreds - and what really sucked was the wrench wasn't a Snap-On or a Craftsman that we could exchange for a new one, it was a cheapie overseas made one:D. The tire was only a month old so he was able to get a new replacement due to their road hazard clause.
    John

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

I just saw this post. I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought.
    John

15. I am not wanting to get into a tit for tat argument, but just think...if she had been saving up for a car because she had to ride the bus, then you are right....thats a good chunk of cash for her. Probably been saving for a long time and needed it badly. 10% of 3500 would be a week's pay at a bowling alley job.
    I always imagine how I would feel if I lost something when I find something that needs to be returned to whoever lost it. Thats how I see it.
    I understand your viewpoint and if it were an envelope full of cash and the person were a lawyer, doctor or other well paid individual then I would think that they would offer a reward because they probably could afford to do so.

16. You are a kind person.

eddie1, Joemama, Tri-power37 and 4 others like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Give till it hurts, right?

I'm just saying it's remarkable she got anything back. There are still good people around. If it was a doctor or lawyer they probably wouldn't have rewarded anything either. My dad said among the worst people to collect money owed in the course of doing business were churches/preachers, though the most indignant were always attorneys. The fact that one reason everything costs an arm and a leg is because of their unscrupulous comrades doesn't even seem to register. LOL

chryslerfan55, egads and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I was kinda on the other side of this discussion, one time many moons ago. I found a billfold on the road , with a considerable amount of money in it and a uncashed paycheck ( for a whole lot more than I made, at the time ). I look in the phone book, yeah phone book remember those, and gave the guy a call. Well he asked me if I can bring it by his house? Ooohhh k, I’ll be over in an hour, uggg, no, he said he had to go to work or something, it’s been years...... I finally had to drive over to his house, like the next day and knock on the door, he barely opened the door, stuck his hand out. I handed him the billfold..... he closed the door! I know I did the right thing...... but I still felt kinda funky about it! Lol

Bones

19. Several years ago I had to take my new Chevy pickup in for warranty work, they gave me a loaner truck to drive for the three days they had mine. I don’t remember how I found it, but there was an envelope with almost $500 in it. No one at the stealership seemed to want to help me find who it belonged to, so I kept it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't expect anything in return and it was obvious she needed the money as she broke out in tears when I handed it back...glad I found it and not someone else.

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand where your coming from....I also found a wallet someone left on top of a pay phone many years back...no money but lotsa credit cards and ID....I looked the guy up in the phone book and told him I had his wallet and was working on the building under construction next door....about half hour later he pulled up in a new Porsche, dressed in suit and tie, rolled his window down just enough to pass it through then rolled it back up and drove off...I did hear a faint Thanks as he was backing out...Oh well, to each his own.

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You're a good egg, Ron!

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The bottom line is, to do what is right! What the other folks do is on them! That’s what I “ try” to do! Sometimes it is hard! Lol

Bones

24. raven

raven

Anyone remember the Golden Rule?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Chavezk21, osage orange, clem and 3 others like this.
  25. wildwest

wildwest

My wife found a kitten about 4 weeks old ,on the side of the road about to get hit ! Nursed the little thing with a bottle for a few weeks and now it helps keep the mouse population in check. I have found a few spare tires, some tools, I always see ratchet straps, but rarely stop for them. I did find a friends 41 Ford trunk lid that blew off when his son towed the car home ! right in the middle of the road ! Didn't know whose it was, so I just moved it over to the side, and the next day I heard about them losing it, and told them where it was ! I was driving a little car at the time I found it, and couldn't fit it in !

26. The ethic of reciprocity, words to live by.
    Unfortunately to some, The Golden Rule now means; The ones with the gold make the rules.

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If you expect a reward or thinking that you deserve one , then you're teetering on the wrong side of the fence.

eddie1, belair, raven and 7 others like this.
  28. After always badmouthing Ford products I once found a Ford ignition key stuck in the back tire of my Chevy shortbox pickup..Karma

29. Best find was a 1/2" drive torque wrench, extension, and a socket, all Snap-On in a gutter once. Had to send the wrench out for repairs and calibration, cost me 40 bucks. Numerous sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers over the years. Last socket I found was a 10mm!

Once I found a leather day planner owned by a contractor. I called the number on the business cards inside. I told the owner that he could pick it up at my work, he acted "put out" that he had to come and get it. When he got there the first thing he said was "I'm not giving a reward for finding this!" I didn't ask for anything but for him to come to my work and pick it up, about three miles from his house. And I surely did not expect nor ask him for a reward either. His attitude and demeanor really lit me up, almost like he was blaming me for it;s loss.