Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 11, 2019.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Been more than one car in the past that I regretted selling, and some I wished I had sold sooner before I spent more money on it!
    But now I'm old and getting past the ability to get on a creeper, do some work and still have enough energy left to get back up and off it, LOL! So, I realize there won't be anymore builds for me and if I want to ride in a hot rod that I own, it'll be the ones I now own:)
    Sorta flattering when somebody asks me if it's for sale, that is if it ain't some wise ass trying to be cute. I've also found that most folks have no idea how much it costs in money and time to build what they see as "just an old car".
    No, like a previous poster said, if they want one of my hot rods they'll have to talk to my son after I'm gone.:rolleyes:

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Some cars just have too many memories to sell for what it's "worth". Others you want to sell BECAUSE of the memories!

I've had people ask how much I'd want for my '40, I tell 'em $50,000... I could pay off student loans and build another one just like it, and still have the memories.... When someone is dumb enough to pay it, it'll get sold!

I recently acquired a '58 Impala project in trade for my 59 Thunderbird. I have a feeling I'll get a lot of offers on it before it's even done, and when it is done it better be a damn good offer because a '58 Impala is a car that's been "on my list" since I was 12.

At the end of the day, it's a battle between your heart and your wallet, and my heart usually wins.

3. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

When I get asked about my coupe tell them the same thing....

“Only for more than you or I think it’s worth”.

Usually the conversation ends there. Most people asking, I doubt are all that serious or actually have the cash if you really pressed them, they are just looking for a deal.

osage orange likes this.
  4. Same here, dumbest thing I ever did, made money but lost my ride.

osage orange likes this.
  5. I've had people that wanted to buy my roadster. My roadster is not for sale. I'm 78 years old, and I still enjoy driving it. The roadster is in my will, and when I am gone it will go to my son Joe, ( dual quad 55 ) here on the h.A.M.B.

6. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I've had my 34 coupe on the road since 85. Never looking finished but has over 75 K on the odo. I get a lot of folks asking if it is for sale. My response has been that they will have to deal with my widow on it.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When I had my first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, during Spring Break (Easter Vacation) we got a ton of “Do you want to sell it?” questions on our drive around Newport Beach/Balboa/Laguna Beach areas. Most of them came from those that had never seen a sedan delivery before.

My red (salmon pink…original owner, home paint gone awry) sedan delivery was bright, relatively plain with blackwalls/rims and a small hubcap look. The motor was a stock Flathead with no rump, rump of a modified motor to draw attention to the unusual vehicle. That was the way I liked it, plain, simple and low cost. (But, teenage cash flow also kept it simple.)
    upload_2019-8-27_3-35-53.png
    In contrast to my 1958 348 black Impala with its racy look and powerful sounding motor, the sedan delivery was milk toast. But, Ford Sedan Delivery drew the attention cruising down the beach highways. Then again, maybe it was the simple look with a couple of teenagers driving around that gave most, the idea that the sedan delivery is for sale. Whereas, a hot looking 1958 black Impala that made all of noises and looked well done, was out of reach for any cost.

Jnaki

The ratio of offers or questions was maybe 4 to 1 and finally 5 years later, in 1965, the sedan delivery was sold to some guy in Orange County, after he offered differing prices several times. When it was time to sell the 58 Impala, it was one price, no signs and the first buyer, a friend, paid cash on the spot. He knew what he was getting...

osage orange and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, this one has inspired me. I'm creating an aura of "not for sale" on the 47 Cadillac Conv. The one in the classifieds...;)

9. Tell ya right now mine ain't for sale.
    Some Johnny Moneybags would have to go six figures for me to budge. Since that won't happen, I'm safe!

10. I would sell mine if the right $$ came up. I was offered $25k right after I had been driving it, of course everything on it was new at the time. It is primered, I have done nothing with the body except paint the firewall and door jambs. No headliner, seats and door cards need to be done over. Someone would have to love the car and recognize the body is near-perfect with zero rust.

osage orange and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. I was out last Sunday morning to take some photos of my car and this guy walks up and asks if I'm selling it. I said no are you buying it? He said no and then tells me about the 50 Mercury he has and all the work that has been done and it only needs a little work to finish it and do I want to buy it. Says he doesn't have the time to work on it any more. I said I don't have the time either. That's when I jumped in my car and drove off.

12. I understand and have Rods that I could never sell also. Too many memories, too sentimental, and have owned them too long. But if someone made me a good offer on my 31. I could say good by to it. So any good offers?:rolleyes: Lol Ron... 20190627_093108.jpeg 20190623_184651.jpeg 20190519_112201.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

YES ! That post is 100 percent correct! As I said, he has a lot of talent and basically builds art from nothing. Every one of his cars have been in many magazines and puts way more vision and talent into them than money.

54delray likes this.
  14. Well at over 74 years young, I don't want to build another project, just enjoy the ones I have and will keep those till I croak, then the executor of the estate can deal with it. But of course I'm still hoping to be driving the Flat Fed when I'm 90.................And towing it with the ICT................(if they haven't outlawed fuel and alcohol by then)

15. Had a guy come up to me at a cruise nite and drop a set of keys in my hand . He said even up trade for my new Mercedes! I gave them back and said what would I do with that and he felt insulted . A while later his friend came by and told me he really wants my 37 , again I said not for sale it goes to my 2 sons when I'm gone .

osage orange, jim snow and Montana1 like this.
  16. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I told a guy at a swap me everything I had there was for sale except the wife. But she was for rent. She looked over her glasses, and said" you can't reach the part he is using anyway" and went back to her book.

17. 4ever18

4ever18

The “wanna sell it” question comes up in different ways. Sometimes, it’s the bargain hunting “flipper” looking for a chance to make a quick profit. Sometimes, it’s a person that has always wanted a similar vehicle and hopes that this is their lucky day. Some of these folks are polite, others are not so much so.

Here are two of the more memorable episodes. About a year and a half ago, I was finally able to buy the garage find ‘33 Ford 3 window coupe (detailed in an earlier thread). My neighbor (Jerry) went along to assist me in getting the car out of the garage and onto the trailer. Over the years, I’d described the car to Jerry, but upon seeing the car in person, he was astonished at it’s condition. Jerry snapped a few photos and sent them via text message to his brother. Within a few minutes, he called Jerry to ask about buying the car. At first, Jerry teased his brother by telling him that he hoped that I didn’t pay too much for the car, since it didn’t run. He lied when he told his brother that the price was $2500. LOL. I paid much, much more than that. Immediately, he started making offers. Finally, Jerry told him what I really paid for the car and that I had absolutely no interest in selling the car. About an hour later, the brother called to talk about the car and asked specific questions about the car’s history and condition. Another hour or so goes by, then he sent a text offering to raise his offer to more than double what I had just paid for the car. Jerry showed me the text and I laughed and said no. After a few minutes, the brother called and asked what I was thinking. Jerry told him that with me, it’s about the car rather than the money. He then raised the offer, again. Again, I said turned down the offer. He was always polite and complementary.

The other episode was less than pleasant. I still have my 1969 Camaro that I bought 48 years ago, when I was 18 years old. The car has been garage kept for all but a couple years of it’s life. The lacquer paint is still presentable. The interior is still in great condition. A local acquaintance and car “expert” approached me at a local show an inquired if I still had the Camaro (in front of a few mutual friends). I replied that it was still safe in my garage. He then proceeded to tell me that I should sell it to someone else since I wasn’t going to do anything with it. I didn’t say anything, but apparently the expression in my face revealed my intention, as I started toward the “expert”. A friend stepped between us to try and defuse the situation and give the guy an opportunity to get out of my presence and give me some time to calm down. The “expert” approached me a few weeks later to apologize and stated that he was wrong to have made that judgement and assumed more than he knew. I accepted his apology.

osage orange, jim snow and waxhead like this.
  18. raymay

raymay

Several years ago when I drove my 56 to Michigan for the Woodward Dream Cruise a guy was checking out my car and then asked if it was for sale. At the time it was still kind of a fresh build and I was having way too much fun with it so naturally my answer was no. The following year I returned to Michigan again with the 56 and there was a car parked in the back of the lot that my Sons car club rents during the cruise. When we went to tell him this was a private parking area he said, remember me? It turned out to be the guy I met the year before. He was waiting since 6am to see if I would show up with the car again and then asked if I had changed my mind about selling the car. I told him my answer was still no. He then asked if he could leave me his name and number so I took it and put it in my glove box where it still is today.

NGK_Dads_56_El_Camino.jpg

19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

….and this is why I never finish a car. I've had cars for sale and when somebody shows up to look at it, they end up buying it, and maybe a 2nd one that was going to be my next project. I even had a guy buy what he came after, another bare frame and enough parts to make that frame a roller plus 2 engines and a bunch of wheels. Spent almost 3 times what he planned to when he came in the shop. He emptied out the cash machine up the street and had to find another to get what he needed. I've always made money on every one sold so, while she doesn't quite understand it all, the wife is not very upset to see one going on somebody else's trailer. She knows it made money for me or it wouldn't be leaving, plus we've met some great people doing this. I will pretty much sell anything if I can make enough money on it to replace it with something else fun for no out of pocket money. I'm keeping this '32 I'm building now so it's not for sale. that will be a first for me. We'll have to see how that works out.

SPark

woodsnwater and osage orange like this.
  20. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

All you need to do is have me look at it,every time I look at something I like and balk,the next looker buys it.Has happened many times.But sorry I have bought my last old car,time to enjoy what I have.

21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right after I got my 45 Harley pieced together , I had it loaded in my pickup and was visiting a friends body shop . A guy walked up to me and asked is it for sale ? I said no . He kept hounding me saying money was no object put a price on it . I told him it will be parked by my casket when I die . You can talk to my kids about it then. I think he may have understood then .

osage orange likes this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have had many folks asking about buying our 40 Coupe. It is number 4 and number-number 15 left a few months ago. Sold my 57 Fuely a few years back and kinda miss it. Actually considering now maybe sending the 40 down the road-never thought I would. There is a man who will buy it with a phone call. He has my Fuely and my son's 40 coupe as well.

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My old Power Wagon gets more offers than anything , I have ever owned . It is beat up , banged up , smokes, leaks , shakes and everyone wants it . My reply is I don’t want to sell it , but truthfully my wife hates it and will give you the damn thing if you pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel .

raven, Chris, woodsnwater and 4 others like this.
  24. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I get " Wanna Trade ? " offers kind of regular like . they usually driving their mom's KIA or riding a Kawasaki etc.

25. I've got'39/ '40 fever. If I ever sold my 34 coupe, it'd have to be for enough $$$ for me to buy my buddy's 39 coupe. Its' more civilized so my wife would actually ride in it...has A/C, pussy foot suspension, automatic transmission etc. He wants a fair amount of money for the 39.
    I really love cruising my 34 with its' noisy quick change, close ratio 4 speed and early Pontiac engine tho....it's just violent enough to make me smile! Plus, my wife won't ride in it!

26. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

I scratch built a Gibbon fiberglass '32 5W coupe (one of their first ones) about 25-30 years ago.
    I drove it, and had a blast with it for about 4-5 years. I sold it thinking I would just build
    another one. However, life intervened and I did not have another hot rod for 25 years.
    One day I decided it was time to build a new one, so I've spent the last 5 years building
    another 5W coupe. I got it up and running in May, and took it to it's first show/cruise night.
    First show, with less than 100 miles on it, and a guy walks up, checks it out, smiles real big
    and says "I'll give you "X" for it!" His offer was for 1/3 of what I have in the car. I thought he
    was kidding! Once I realized he was serious, I politely said "No, thanks, I think I'll keep it a
    little longer." I think he would have been shocked to know how much I have in it. Now, at my
    age, I don't want to take another 5 years building something, and I'm too picky to just buy
    one, so mine is not for sale either.

27. exterminator

exterminator

I have my 40 (avatar) that I won't sell -wife won't let me and daughter will end up with and then there is my other car for sale on hamb. When I sell it or trade if I get an offer that I like - that will be it. No more projects, getting older and wiser I hope. Exterminator

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  28. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

I can't seem to give cars away never mind people with cash trying to get them, offered this coupe for 28.5 guys offering 18 ect. And hounding you to give it to them. Sold it to my wife for a dollar, done deal.

Attached Files:

29. exterminator

exterminator

Or offering the same car to trade you that you already said no too.

kasselyn29 likes this.
  30. papajohn

papajohn

Good problem to have. I can't sell my Tudor to save my life. I would sell my wagon or convertible, for the right price, but my wife and son would kill me. I never really get too attached to my cars.