Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 TBird Project - What would you do ?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by BigBlockHead, Aug 30, 2019.

1. BigBlockHead

BigBlockHead

Guys,
    I recently dragged this 1959 TBird home. Previous owner had it for roughly 13 years. She bought it from Traverse City, Michigan area from her neighbor who had started the restoration process. However the neighbor had retired and moved to Hawaii, so the car had to go. Her plan was that her husband and son would restore it together, but hey never started the process. She said they never got it running. To me it looks like they did do some work on it: The started and exhaust manifold were out of the car. Manifold was cracked, and I figured it probably needs a new starter - so I got a new starter for it, the engine would crank but wouldn't start. I did some electrical stuff diagnosis and figured the ignition condenser must be bad. Replaced it, got the engine running - Yay!

Plan is to restore the car at some point - possibly (l love vintage customs and hot rods). However, for now I am thinking of just keeping it on primer, installing the parts that I got with the car, do inventory of the parts that are missing etc.

In a meantime, I am still going to keep driving it. In primer.

Question is: What would you guys do with it: restore, customize it, rat rod? I would like to hear your ideas! See below more photos of the car.

IMG_2945.JPG

By the way.. has anyone ever seen this kind of an exhaust manifold. It has some sort of additional "tube" going straight up (on left and right side) and pointing forward. Looks like it's an aftermarket ?? addition. The tube has insulation in it.

IMG_4856.JPG

Attached Files:

selohssa likes this.
  2. REMEMBER......WE DONT DO RAT RODS on the HAMB........

3. slv63

slv63

I’ve always liked those cars. I’d spray some white paint or primer over the dark spots so they don’t stick out as much and drive the wheels off it. Maybe lower it, add some period hubcaps. Eventually you could shave some badges and give it a Watson style paint job.

4. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

A high data sh h CD 565 star re v
    Da .lhovzy5§terrible ś5 the only path h stsrst st dad s see s
    7vc adtake sts vv
    4sw can

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Jefe??
    Are you having a stroke??

Nice project. I’d either make it as original as possible or a minor custom.

loudbang likes this.