Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Normandy beach race France

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrquickwhip, Aug 28, 2019.

1. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

image.jpeg ive just seen this on uk nsra site and thought I would post it here for any USA guys n gals visiting France around September 21st. Apparently it is close to where the ferry from uk lands so it's easy to find.

2. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

i'll be there september 20 and 21 ....
    if someone from usa wants to come , i can help ...

Jet96 and nunattax like this.
  3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

maybe next year if its on again

4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been to Normandy, to me it is hallowed grounds. Yes and it will always be to me !

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Hnstray, Speed Gems, Deuces and 5 others like this.

5. The spirits of hero's walk those sands.

6. GeeRam

GeeRam

Eastern end of Sword Beach then.

Deuces, 32SEDAN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Amen!

Deuces, j3harleys, Joemama and 5 others like this.
  8. A much better use of the beach than in 1944. HRP

Baumi likes this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ I don't agree that it is a better use of the beach than in 1944 but I will readily agree enthusiastically that it is a much more pleasant and fun use of the beach now.;):D

Deuces, Hnstray, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  10. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...As you know many have given their life on that beach so we can enjoy freedom today. I don't think it is respectful to have a race, drive, etc. etc. on the beach were so many have died.. miller

11. Al, I meant nothing disrespectful, I believe racing on on the beach 75 years after so many men died, including my uncle is far better for racing than fighting.

It has been estimated that over 10,000 allied forces and close to 9000 German soldier died on those hollowed beaches 74 years ago, they all paid a huge price so future generations have the freedom to race or drive on the beach.

The people of France have control of their shores & land, I would think there may be places where access may be limited but we as Americans form opinions of how another country's should or should not use their resources. HRP

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There are a lot of beaches on that coast. Does it have to be that beach?

Hnstray, Blue One, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  13. williebill

williebill

It's hallowed ground, not hollowed

Hnstray, Blue One, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  14. slowmotion

slowmotion

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

..Just to set the record straight...I wrote the UK NSRA asking about the flyer and the reply was the they have nothing to do with the event...Miller

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I kinda 'feel' the hallowed ground depiction, too. When just a little dodger, my Mom and Dad forbade us children to walk across graves at the cemetery.
    It was akin to walking across their sleeping bodies...
    Some things stick. I still don't walk across graves at cemeteries...it's just respect.

Hnstray, Deuces, catdad49 and 10 others like this.
  18. Off topic:
    I visited Omaha beach last year, and the beach is just that... a beach with kids playing and having a great time etc. I think of it as life's victory over death. 75 years ago people sacrificed it all so children could have a better tomorrow. I don't think it's anything disrespectful in that, quite the opposite.

Then you have the war cemeteries; places for contemplation and mourning - very emotional to visit, even if you don't have a relative buried there.

On topic:
    Seems like a fun event, and I would love to attend. However, going to Goodwood the weekend prior to this, has filled my excursion quota this fall. Hopefully it'll be a reoccurring event.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Silva, Jet96, Speedy Canuck and 4 others like this.
  19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I'm sitting here in Missouri, and have no right to tell the French anything about how they use their beaches.

With that said... My grandpa landed early in the first waves at Omaha. I spent a good part of my youth sitting in his shadow, and he talked very occasionally about the war. It formed the person he became post-war, and he did not care to reflect deeply on it. I suppose if he were alive today and asked about this event, he would say "Sounds like a much better use of that beach than the shitshow I attended". Then he would talk about hot rods, because in his opinion that would be a much better subject.

20. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I have never been to Normandy but have friends who have and they speak of the reverence, soft voices and hush of people visiting the grave sites and beaches where so many gave so much. Don’t know how close the racing will take place to the actual landing sites but if close it doesn’t seem right to me or the other visitors paying their respects to those lost, wounded or those carrying those memories for the rest of their life’s or to the grave. It would be similar to having a party at the USS Arizona battleship memorial. Only my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Hnstray, Blue One, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Just doesn't feel right.

Hnstray, Blue One, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  22. I wonder, if we could ask those who sacrificed their future for us, how many would rather we only use that beach to feel sadness. Or how many would rather it now be a place of happiness and fun? After all, is that what they were fighting for?

23. williebill

williebill

There are many beaches around the world.
    Then there's the beaches at Normandy.
    I would respectfully suggest finding a different one.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I can see lower Manhattan from my office here in Jersey City. I feel like having a race on the beaches of Normandy would be like having a concert or other feel-good event at Ground Zero. The last time I visited the WTC, it was very quiet and respectful, with only a few chuckleheads who had kids running around not grasping the essence of the space or what had transpired there. I sort of feel like Normandy should be in the same category of places, more akin to a cemetery/memorial than a place to be renewed. I don't judge those who feel otherwise, but it's just how I perceive it.

25. GeeRam

GeeRam

If it taking place right at the eastern end by the harbour where the beach widens out, that is about 1 mile from the eastern most point of the Queen Red landing zone, and where the British and Free French Commando's landed with the task of clearing the town of Ouistreham. Does depend on how long the 'track' is going to be though?

26. Yes, but many of American (British and Canadian as well) young men gave their lives on those sands. So I think our voices should count for something.

Much like Pearl Harbor, Normandy should be a place of honor and quiet reflection.

Muttley, Hnstray, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  27. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I would have great personal difficulty participating in the event, as I also understand what was given on those sands. It had direct impact on my family.

As I shared above, nobody asked me for permission, nor do I expect they will.

Blue One, Deuces, Corn Fed and 3 others like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Extremely touchy situation but as conveyed the War was fought for freedom to do as any Allied Countries People desire and as said the beaches are safe from the aggression that once threatened every beach in the world...I would hope that there would be a brief Ceremony of Remembrance on the Site during the Event in respect...That is again the essence of freedom.

Many who fought and perished were in fact Hotrodders, Racers and Customizers and were doing just that prior to the hell they were called to erase...

Lest We Forget

Celebration and Sport are Part of Freedom

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  29. japchris

japchris
    from England

Its controversial to race there, but then most places in Europe were fought over at some point during WW2.
    Many of the drag strips are on WW2 airfields, for example England's main drag strip 'Santa Pod' was a USAAF B17 base during the war. One misty morning bombers were taking off and one crashed into the woods at the end of the runway. The next one taking off aborted his take off run, but the one behind that didn't see the warning flares and carried on. The two fully loaded B17s collided with each other on the main runway where the drag racers of today now race.
    There is a memorial to the men killed right by the start line and another on the approach road to the strip.
    0.jpg
    Despite racing at these locations, I believe those on this side of the Atlantic who partake, do very much respect the memory of those men that died. We are very much aware that our freedom to do these things we enjoy is down to them. I'm sure they themselves would want us to make the most of the hard won freedom.

Stogy, Stueeee, Spoggie and 6 others like this.
  30. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I spent 2 weeks in Normandy during this years D Day 75th Anniversary . Traveled with 13 US WWII veterans (ages 93 to 100) who were enthusiastically welcomed by the French of all ages. After touring many of the sites throughout Normandy & seeing the price paid by the Allies it is hard to picture a race on that hallowed ground. The last photo is H,A.M.B. friendly - one of many WWII restored vehicles we saw during our visit (I'm really not that big - just cold, windy looking down on the city of Cherbourg.

Attached Files:

rat bastad, Hnstray, 32SEDAN and 10 others like this.