Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering springs lifted my car!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Byron McMahon, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Byron McMahon

Byron McMahon

My '53 Meadowbrook suburban was a little high in the front, so I got some 2 inch lowering springs from Eaton Springs. When I took the old springs off to swap 'em out, they stood about 1.5 inches shorter than the new ones from Eaton. The gentleman on the phone had me measure the new ones and they were 13.5 inches, and he said that's what the book calls for. Well, I went ahead and put 'em in there, and now my wagon points to the sky like a North Korean TCBM! What to do? The car is all stock, including the flat 6. Thanks for any help.
    fullsizeoutput_cdca.jpeg

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

They may have gotten the measurement correct but they sure as hell screwed up on the load rating specs........the same size coil can support different weights.....are your new coils thicker in diameter than the old ones ?
    I would have gotten the Moog variable weight springs for an Astro van myself......2008 ? I think is the number, I can't see those settling that much after a coupla months of driving.
    Send Eaton some pictures and see what they have to say.

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You could get adventuresome and start cuttin' coils......lol.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Go back to Eaton with the photo evidence .......somewhere in this outcome there is misinformation and/or a mistake in part selection.

Ray

5. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

As long as you didn't paint or modify the spring Eaton will exchange with no problem. I had very good dealings with them in the past.

3340, rockable and David Gersic like this.
  6. adam401

adam401

Are you sure you didnt put 2 springs in each side instead of one? Haha just kidding its a 4x4 now

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Just a thought, but maybe your old springs were shot and compressed? Or maybe someone had short springs in there before you? It's easy to blame the supplier, but it's not always their problem.

8. flat 39

flat 39

I had the same problem from Eaton spring. Bought 2" lowering springs for my '65 F-100. the springs were shorter but the wire diameter was larger. Did not lower the truck on bit. Returned the springs (at my expense}and got springs for a 6 cylinder truck. The wire diameter was close to the original V-8 diameter and did lower the truck some. I ended up cutting off one coil to get the ride height that I wanted. After talking to the order taker, I believe Eaton does not make coil springs and gets them from a 3rd party.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  9. dan31

dan31

You just need a surf fishing pole rack up front now,lol. If they give you a hard time about it and it rides good but just too high maybe you could cut a coil off of it ?.

Frankie47 likes this.
  10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Are the springs seated correctly in the a arms, if the a arms are similar to GM vehicles they need to be seated in the a arm pocket.

Frankie47 and little red 50 like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

new vs. old and you list the car ad a suburban and station wagon springs were always higher rated that the rest..

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Meadowbrook ever sat that high when it came off the factory floor, and 2" lower springs should have the top of the tire hidden by the fender.

LBCD and Hnstray like this.
  13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Maybe you put them in upside down? LOL!!!!!!! Get it? Thank you. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had the same problem with my Impala. I called them (not Eaton Springs) and they said they must have shipped the wrong springs. I removed them and swapped them out and no difference. Had to end up cutting a coil or two to get my ride height correct. It is aggravating. When I see a car that sits right I have respect for them. Kool ain't easy...

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have had this problem with another spring manufacturer - no telling what the original source of information came from that is in their data bank - I have ordered body replacement parts before that were no where close to fitting - again, who knows what they used as a source for their molds - return springs to Eaton for refund - locate a local automotive spring company , or another spring supplier that will work with you to build a custom spring - this is why some guys use springs from other sources, like Ford Aerostar, etc - what was wrong with your springs to begin with?

straykatkustoms likes this.
  16. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Are you sure you have the correct part number?
    Maybe you received GM Suburban springs rather than Dodge Suburban springs.

I've pulled out ~2" of rubber from the upper spring cup on a car. Took me a moment when the 'original' stock spring was ~2.5" shorter than the new stock type spring going in.
    Similar vein, picked up some stock replacement MOOG springs for an OT car. They had that plastic coating on them but it was thicker on the ends. Little note attached to the springs stated to discard the factory rubber coil spring insulators. Sure enough measuring the spring it was about 1/2" longer than spec coil vs coil, but account for the insulators and it was tits.
    I've had a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks lock out in full droop after being put on a lift for a day. Only thing I could think of was how some shocks are shipped locked down for packaging reasons, somehow this locking mechanism jammed into the upper part of the cylinder. That or some moron didn't put stops at the top of travel and the pistons jammed at the top of the housing where it was tapered.

But the most common issue when lowering springs 'raise' a car is that you simply have not rolled the car forward/backward yet. When you raise the car the suspension goes into full droop. Lower it down, the tires try to slide out(camber curve) but the tires grip so the suspension binds up and you get that gasser look.

If you changed anything else verify that the part was installed correctly.
    I installed the front sway bar on a Cutlass upside down. I thought the notches in the frame would match up to the 'elbows' in the sway bar. They match up perfectly, upon lowering the two came together and the car would not lower any further. Undo everything flip bar right side up and the elbows didn't go into the notches, the inside cleared the frame and the notches gave added clearance at full compression. Hurr-durr moment.

17. I'm another guy who's had less than satisfactory results with so-called 'lowering' springs. So much so that I'll never buy another set... I'd look into lowering spindles; more money, but less long-term issues.

Or look into adjustable coil-overs.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sheesh! Spring tech now. Coiled torsion bars.
    In some areas, lots to choose from. But, as the O.P. stated,
    "the new ones were inches taller than the ones that came out."
    As the wire was same (or very close to) diameter, how in the world was the taller coil going to yield to the weight previously supported by the originals?
    Oh, yeah... Now you'll say "Stands to reason...the originals were old and had lost their 'temper'."
    Simple physics. Just apply logic.
    Lowering springs should be lower than their predecessors. (in a less than perfect world)

19. The book is wrong obviously
    Garbage in garbage out

Hnstray likes this.
  20. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

This is true, if the book or computer data base is in error, several stores may use the same data base and all will have the incorrect numbers.

21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Call Eaton. I talked to them getting springs for my ‘37 and they were very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Buckster

Buckster

I had the same situation with EATON's replacement 'lowering' springs to replace the Dodge springs used on the rear of my '40. I had to pay shipping both ways & they put my springs in a press brake rather than take them apart & re-arch each spring leaf.
    I drove my car to the NATS & asked the boss to go out & see what his springs were doing to my car. He would not get off his butt & walk out 200 feet to my car! Customer service stinks!.
    A fellow Early V8 member had issues with a set of springs he bought for a shoebox project. He contacted the boss himself & insisted they pay for the shipping & resolutions of his springs. I delt with an underling-my mistake. He claims they made good on his issues.

23. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Sorry to hear the poor experience @Buckster. I've never had a bad dealing with them, but I live right up the road and go in person.

24. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Plymouths used two different springs - everything but convertibles and coupes used the same spring. I had a similar situation with new springs and ended up using my old ones on my ‘51 Plymouth Suburban. Other MoPars of that era had deeper spring pockets in the lower control arms so you may be able to lower it that way.

25. Byron McMahon

Byron McMahon

Sent them some photos and the guy said to tighten the control arm with it under load. I'll do that over the weekend and see what difference it makes. It might make a difference, but we're still 6 inches away from the desired outcome. Yes, I'm aware that the originals may have settled, but the car was sitting at stock height and that's why I ordered the springs to begin with. Anyways lets see what happens when I retighten the a arm under load.

26. Byron McMahon

Byron McMahon

I'll try and flip them over
    I might just end up cutting a coil off in the end, after I try flipping them over as suggested. We'll see how everything goes.

56shoebox likes this.
  27. He's kidding about flipping them over, it was a joke because it raised the car instead of lowering. The spring should have a full circle on top side and pig tail on the bottom, the pig tail fits into a recess in the lower control arm.

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We just did all four corners on a '54 Chrysler, and wound up nose down. 20190803_150716.jpg
    We may put some lowering blocks in the rear, the owner is somewhat undecided, but not seriously unhappy. Yes, the springs are all from Eaton. You can go through the Moog catalog, and probably figure out a coil that will do what you want to do.

29. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Tightening the arm under load ain't gonna do crap but put the bushings in an unnatural bind. Always tighten bushings under static load, as in ride height. Both upper and lower arms. This way bushings are in neutral twist sitting still and rotate under load equally up and down.

Wrong springs and idiot over phone didn't want to deal with the problem.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  30. Or that’s exactly what he meant....if they were tightened with the suspension drooped, it definitely could be in a bind. Certainly not arguing with lostone he is 100% correct however I’m not sure the guy on the phone had it wrong either

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray and sunbeam like this.