Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tools/ Things found on the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Aug 28, 2019.

1. 24riverview

24riverview

Probably the last time the NSRA Nationals were in St.Paul my dad and I were headed through the middle of town on the interstate going to registration in my coupe when I spotted a pipe wrench. Hit the brakes, headed to shoulder, got out and grabbed it. Never forget that because I think I scared the hell out of dad, still have the wrench.
    Found a Honda generator laying in the road a few years back, no damage, still works great.

2. Many years back I found a USAF flight jacket in the middle of a residential street. That was the warmest jacket I ever owned. Had it a few years before some dummy put it in the washing machine.....it was never the same after that.

3. If I pm you my address can I get my fork back HRP?

“Stock up now — before the hoarders get it all!”

dan31 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sometimes the truth starts to get out there and someone sees at as 'offending' someone. I see lots of my posts disappear, it's almost like 'in the race for the most posts'? Well, somebody better block him... LOL
    Anyway, the bowmen's middle fingers disappeared and Robin Hood put 'em all on the King's welfare. (I think that's how that ended up...folks sure get reactive when bowmen show that they still have that finger!)

Jim Bouchard, Boneyard51 and wraymen like this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It's that one just between the 3/8" and 7/16".

osage orange and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Got any dropped axles?" "Nah...Dropped 'em."

7. Darn funny! Bruce.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hung a hard left going to the Crest road early one morning. Someone had done the same thing before me as there, laying by the side of the road, was the largest Aladdin thermos I've ever seen.
    Coffee was still hot.

9. I'm finding stuff all the time... money, stray tools, credit cards, drivers licenses, library cards, bus passes, check books, stolen packages, etc. Actually my knack for finding money (coins & bills) may be my superpower as my family marvels at what they think is my apparent ease for finding orphaned currency, (it is fairly frequently). Just mailed a drivers license I found a couple weeks ago to a town outside of Spokane.

A couple of years ago I found an Ipad on the edge of the street a few blocks from home. It had a red cover on it. Took some detective work from a few clues on the Ipad, but I figured out who it belonged to. A caretaker for an elderly gent in my neighborhood had set the ipad with it's red cover on her red hood when she went into her purse looking for her keys. Didn't even know it was gone, yet. I guess she had just transferred all her family photos to digital and they were all on that ipad with no back-up she said. She didn't know what she would have done if she hadn't gotten it back. Kept calling me 'an angel', etc. I like doing good deeds, but the angel comments were hard to take.

Gotta56forme/Scott

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Actually I just thought it was too long for one post and you all would be catching zzzzz's. :oops:

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. I was replacing the grille on a Dodge van And noticed after he left was missing my 10 mm socket . Couple weeks later the van is back and there is my 10 mm socket on a bolt in the grille . The van went from Pennsylvania to Mississippi and back .

12. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

The biggest thing was a stainless fridge on the side of I-275 on the way to work. Coworker who came in a little earlier saw it fall off the truck. The coolest was not me, but my dad. He stopped and picked up a knife hand forged from a railroad spike. Even had a leather sheath and all.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If that's tongue in cheek that's ok:D , but I don't see room to talk :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  14. You guys can post all you want, but there's no way you are going to catch up to HOTRODPRIMER!

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You are correct. I don't count posts but this guy is talking out his.. you know what. Not here three years and approx. 500/600 posts behind me , tells me all I need to know.

16. Have you ever seen the movie "Big Fish"? This sounds like it could have been a scene from that film. :D

17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a call from a Deputy in the middle of the night that cattle was on the highway . We found a hole in the fence and a set of duals of a semi trailer. Still bolted to the hub .
    Found a pair of dog tags Vet Nam era . While building a new fence along a county road . With some help from a friend I was able to find who they belonged to and mailed them to him . He had no idea how the dog tags wound up in a ditch 70 miles away from him or how long they had been gone . He was happy to get them back

18. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Some time in the 80's, my wife's aunt found a Roper Whitney hand punch in the street in front of her house and gave it to me. Still have it and use it. Just recently, I picked up a nice 1/4" nut driver from the middle of the road. I saw a SBC once, but it had already been rolled up on the curb and didn't look like much of a find.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ain't that the truth. ROFLMFAO.jpg

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. My dad was a surveyor and was working along the road in an overgrown ditch. He was kicking around in the weeds and poking about with a range pole looking for a marker pin or a stake that he could measure from. It kind of shook him up for a moment when he uncovered what appeared to be a human hand, which fortunately turned out to be a plastic hand from a clothing store female mannequin. So naturally he brought it home to creep out my mom, my brother and myself. And we'd take it out in the yard sometimes and freak out the neighbors by using it as a fetch toy for the dog.

It laid around the house for a couple years until I started high school and had a biology class. There were wall cabinets in the classroom and on top of them were glass specimen jars filled with frogs and other critters to be dissected. So I filled up a gallon glass jar with water and this plastic hand and sneaked it into school in a paper grocery bag somehow and set it on the biology teacher's desk before the start of classes one morning. Went into my biology class that afternoon not knowing what to really expect, but the jar wasn't on the desk and there was no mention made about it so I figured they'd just pitched it out.

But as I glanced around the classroom I looked over to the wall cabinets and there the hand was, on top, still in the jar, in its rightful place among the pickled frogs, crayfish, worms and other critters. And it stayed there at least until I graduated. I'd like to think it's still there today.

And that's right! I somehow managed to graduate from high school! :p
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

They were dropped in more ways than one! :D

22. A large Craftsman carry tool box with a couple hundred pieces(1/2" -3/8" -1/4"dr. Sockets & ratchets .. and wrenches, screwdrivers..etc.) spread all over the intersection near my house...
    The thing is... It was mine !
    I was Hauling a load of batteries in for recycling... In a pickup..with one of those Damn! tailgate nets...
    One leaked acid out..net broke.. Box slid out..
    Didn't know it till I got to the battery place... 10 miles away!
    Stacked the batteries... Hauled butt back...(Had to have been at least an hour later) Tools spread to to all 4 corners..
    I Found everything but a couple 1/4" drive sockets . ..
    By best roadside find Ever!

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I applaud you for your honesty. Two thumbs up.:)

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Riding my bike one day couple years back, something registered at the corner of my vision. Turned around went back slowly. Two Ben Franklin's folded up. Don't think I bought tools.

25. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I retired from carrying mail on a city route, you would never believe the stuff I found in the streets and sidewalks over the years. Tools , coins, cell phones that I usually found the owner, wallets that I turned in to the post master and most of them the owner was located, and one time a shall we say lonely ladies "friend" ( I left that one lay on the sidewalk) I kept track of the coins I found one year just for fun, $38.63. My buddy said I was a tight ass for picking up pennies but I still do it, old habits die hard!
    I started picking up hubcaps when I was a little kid riding my bike, they were worth picking up back then. It grew into my biggest thing as I now have thousands of hubcaps and wheel covers, even bought out some junk yards over the years. I tell my kids that they are their inheritance. they are not impressed:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

26. scotts52

scotts52

I found a whole bunch of individually wrapped toilet paper rolls, like from Costco. Someone had bought a case of them and somehow it blew open and sent rolls all over. Nobody was around so I picked up as many as I could without being a nuisance to traffic.

I've found a few tools, a turtle, and a hermit crab. All at different times. Nothing that stands out in my memory.

27. The amount of tools I have found on the road is endless..

Found a 56 chev right fender on the side of the road couple road rash scars but was a nice fender.
    2 Apple computers on a dirt road while on the side by side and they both worked.
    a good extendable Gorilla ladder
    as a kid on my paper route found a CB radio. (sto0pid shit one remembers)
    Found many hitches. Ropes chains, tie downs, and such again most of that on the side by side or quad as I am riding.

28. I'm guessing that they were 10mm . . .:p

29. GTS225

GTS225

************************************************************************************

He's right, from a monetary viewpoint. I did read, years ago, about a very good reason to pick up pennies. They have four words on them to support the effort........ "In God We Trust"

Roger

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  30. Like you, I am a retired letter carrier. I have found so much small stuff that I can't recall it all. The old Jeeps were great for picking up stuff in the middle of an intersection, you are low to the road and you can just reach out of the sliding open door and pick up something while still moving through the intersection. Done it many times. Not just pennies, but I would pocket nuts and bolts too. Never know when some bolt you found in the street will save you from having to go to the hardware store.