Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suspension on my Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mario.g., Aug 29, 2019.

1. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

I want to put a better suspension in my 1920 model T. Everytime i go over a bump, i feel it.
    I wanted to get some recommendations on suspensions. If anyone knows a good brand.
    Thanks everyone.
    Picture of the current system are down below.

Any help is apperciated .
    Thank you

20190827_004956.jpg 20190827_004940.jpg

2. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

You should add pictures of the spring and shock setup on the front.

oj, Happydaze and swade41 like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

You aren't driving a Lexus. You are going to feel bumps.

Look under the car (maybe have a couple fat buddies sit in it) and see where the axles might be making contact with the frame (or other stuff) on full bounce. Maybe a stiffer spring would prevent bottoming out, if that's the problem. Or maybe you aren't making contact and the springs are already too stiff.

Pics of the springs and axles will help us a lot more than pics of brakes.

And, you might want to enter this topic with a bit more open mind than your radiator escapade. If you already know more than we all do, don't ask for our advice.

OFT, swade41, Happydaze and 4 others like this.
  4. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

5. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

What kind of shocks are on there? They might be too stiff.
    I agree with Alchemy in that it is what it is and won't drive like a new car. Others will probably chime in and say you can get it to ride smooth.
    Make sure that there isn't anything hitting on any of the suspension components during full travel like Alchemy said.
    Also check the rear.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also...I suspect the rear suspension is far more important than the front for your ride. You ARE sitting there, for one thing. Also possible improvement will be severely limited by your probably catastrophic sprung-to-unsprung weight ratio.

7. it's a t-bucket, you're going to feel the road. It's the nature of the beast. If you want a modern ride, buy a modern car.

JNKYARDDOG_1, swade41 and Cosmo50 like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Pictures of suspension might actually help.
    I’m thinking the best solution for you would be to sell the T and get the Lexus then you’ll have the ride you want.:D

9. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

10. How much air pressure do you run in the tires? If your up around 32psi drop it down to 25-26 it may soften the ride.

raven likes this.
  11. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

I dont see any suspension in the front. Ill take more pictures once i get home.

12. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

13. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

You have a solid axle with a spring behind setup. It uses one leaf spring mounted transversely. We need a picture of your complete front end and rear end.

14. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Hmmm, that shock running straight up and down can give you a harsh ride. Most shocks are installed at a 45 degree.

15. In post 4 we can just see the end of the leaf spring. It’s mounted sideways from what the more common (newer) style. The flat bars across in front of the radiator—
    In the rear, a pic fully from behind will let us see if it has another transverse leaf spring or some kind of coils/coil overs. I can a set of shocks so hopefully it doesn’t have coil over shocks (too much dampening if so)
    Cool car- how do fit in it seating wise? I’ve always wanted one but I don’t see myself squeezing in one..

“Stock up now — before the hoarders get it all!”

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

45°. Really ? The angle that the shock is mounted at should be considered as well as the shock rate , both affect the shock function...another thing that makes it really tough to get the suspension working well is the ladder frame on most buckets twists like a pretzel....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  17. Andy

Andy

I don't see front shocks. I suspect hairpins with a big tubular axle. That prevents one wheel from deflecting over a bump. The whole front end has to come up. I see rear radius rods that are not brought togeter in front. The bump problem is the same as the front. One wheel can not move up by itself.
    You have reverse ackerman in the front. You will chirp the tires when turning. The tie rod needs to be behind the axle.
    Put four bar radius rods in front and back. Get rid of the hairpins
    Put the tie rod in back.
    Check your spring stiffness by having someone measure the drop when someone stands over the springs. You should get 1 or more inches per end. Hopefully more.
    Check shock stiffness.

raven and Cosmo50 like this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

To the OP , I haven't seen pictures of the front or rear suspension yet ??

19. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

Hey sorry . Im putting them up now. My good friend just passed so ive been busy on the phone with his family.... he was 34.

Im gonna post pictures up now. I did notice that my rear axle is leaking grease. It looks like it might be coming from the seal.

Ill post pictures of the rear axle once i get a chance. Thanks

20190829_193939.jpg 20190829_193924.jpg 20190829_193634.jpg 20190829_193654.jpg 20190829_193707.jpg 20190829_193736.jpg 20190829_193841.jpg 20190829_193743.jpg

20. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

21. raven

raven

First, your front spring is too short. The shackles should be around 45 degrees and yours are almost flat. That equals nearly no spring activity up front. I also do not see any shocks up front (am I missing something?). That equals no dampening of the front suspension activity. I’m sure you feel every little bump in the road.
    Many have already stated the obvious corrections you should attend to. Move your tie rod behind your axle is important if you want to drive this more than around the block. You’ll need to look at a longer main leaf up front or (gasp), longer shackles. Longer shackles might create it’s own issues with ride height and possible interference with other suspension parts.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

pitman and Cosmo50 like this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Yep , ackermans bad . Yep , front springs a little short but by taking out 3 leaves ( every other one , I count 7).you might get enough flex out of it ,( most T's only travel about 1 1/2" up & down. Yep, you should have try shocks. Nope , do not even consider longer shackles , too many inherent problems .

gimpyshotrods and Cosmo50 like this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Look like 1/4 elliptics in rear. Too thick a stack for short leaves?

Also noted: Shocks vertical+light car=harsh ride. (confuscius?)

Cosmo50 likes this.
  24. evintho

evintho

Front:
    Shackles at wrong angle. Tierod on wrong side of axle. No shocks, at all!
    Rear:
    Shocks straight up and down. Looks like they were an afterthought! Are the rear lower shock mounts welded to the chrome axle and painted black? In addition, Atwater Mike sees 1/4 ellipticals. I don't see anything! Maybe it's just me.

Here's my rear suspension and it rides just fine.

[​IMG]

25. Mario.g.

Mario.g.

Ill take more picture of the rear later when i get home from work.

Does anyone have a photo of how my front should look to give me an idea.

Thanks

26. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Here it is: (I didn't see it either at first)
    20190829_193841.jpg

27. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Here are a couple of examples:
    T-Bucket-front-suspension 01.jpg T-Bucket-front-suspension 02.jpg

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I know I'm a crotchety s.o.b. but it wouldn't take a lot of effort to do some internet searching of your own , ya' know .....
    The Lord helps those who help themselves ......

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That looks like a very poorly built car.
    The welding on the axle bracket in the second picture down isn’t very confidence inspiring, in fact it’s downright scary. :eek:

oj and alanp561 like this.
  30. Sorry to say this, but with your admitted lack of skills, this is something you better find someone trustworthy to handle for you. And definitely NOT the guy who built it. It's a little late now, but you should have had somebody, who knew something, with you when you bought it.

alanp561 likes this.