Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-51 chev pu truck front cab mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millerawd, Aug 18, 2012.

1. millerawd

millerawd

Hi- have just taken over a project on a 47 chev truck with a 51 cab- slowly piecing it together -purchased new after market cab mounts but have no pictures or info- has anyone done one of these trucks- the 47 has different rear mounts than the 51- ive got that worked out- a new floor was put in by previous owner -seems simple enough but need to get the cab mounted so i can continue- even the companies that sell the mounts don't know which rubbers mounts go where. Seems the small square rubber spacer is what goes there but dosen't look like much of a mount.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I've found that two things are a good investment if you have one of these trucks. The Factory truck shop manual and the 47/54 truck assembly manual. Both can be bought through several sources and even though they run 30.00 each or so they save you hours of the how the hell do I do that questions.

Make sure that the brackets running off the frame to mount the cab are level and square. When guys cut the crossmember that runs under the stock bellhousing out to put in an automatic or later bellhousing it lets the weight of the cab push down on the mounts and twist the frame rails until the cab ends up sitting on the frame. That's the reason you see so many AD trucks that have been on the road for a number of years with V8's under the hood that look bent at the cowl.

3. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

4. millerawd

millerawd

Hi -thanks for the info and help-think your right about the book- ive been a mechanic and body man all my life and have spent some time trying to figure this thing out already- the problems have just begun- its had so much work done by others and nothing fits- the fenders dont fit the body where they bolt on- the firewall and floor have been replaced-v8 engine so i will check on the frame- i suspect the frame is out already as when i mocked up the front end with the hood on the fenders and front end are over to the right- they never replaced the floor properly at the rear hence there are no body mounts at the rear- good thing i have the 47 cab to remove pieces from and compare- i have put the quarter windows in the 51 cab from the 47 and that is now done- fun fun fun. Im not to far from you up here in Langley bc-anyway have to go out so thanks again- chuck

5. lgh1157

lgh1157

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I answered the thread in 2012 but this the first time I saw the video. It is very well done and took a serous amount of work to do.
    It shows one thing that I do a lot and that is to use long bolts as guide pins to line something up a lot better.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Me too, @Mr48. I like VW head studs, (10mm thread, thin shank, 10" long!)
    Use 'em for any kind of lineup, great little helpers.
    I had a '49 AD in my shop, piece by piece...Noted the frame looked 'crooked'...
    Put it on the frame jig, attached main rails and started bending.
    Pretty easy, once secured the rails bent like warm butter!
    As you noted, the Olds that was in there introduced frame sag once the rear engine mounts' cross member was done away with. Straight edge across top of frame rails showed inward twists, but the frame had a 'sag' like Model A's do!
    The frame took some time, but when partial boxing, new center cross member and frame repairing was done, sheet metal came together nicely.

8. 47 & 8's mount at the rear of the cab in the center on a rubber mount, the later ones mount with a shackle on each rear corner, fronts all mount the same.