Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever owned a car you just didn't like? our possibly it didn't like you!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

I have had a few,66 nova(sorry,loved every thing about it till I drove it for awhile),69 vette ,427 tri power 4 speed as a every day driver,biggest pile of crap out of them all.Both of them were had to have cars at the time.The 69 was two years old when I had it.

wicarnut likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes. A pos '68 Ford pick up. Think of the movie " Gremlims". Tail wagging the dog. Electrical cluster. While figuring that out add on to the starter, carb and trans. Hated '68 Ford's ever since.:oops:

wicarnut likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Had a couple of other Ford's that were better. Dad would give me a hard time when I bought another Ford , although he has had his 1936 Ford Cabriolet since 1959.:D

wicarnut likes this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Bought a '65 Impala dirt cheap years ago. Bought it to flip, but the more I drove it, the less I liked it. Couldn't weight to get rid of it.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '65 Jag XKE seller with the usual 350/350 transplant done by some 'Turlock genius', engine mounts were 'gusseted' partially, soft .125 material, folding slightly...
    But the 'bitch' by the prospective buyer was that on accel, the car would turn left, literally into oncoming traffic.
    A quick drive around the block confirmed this.
    Raising the car, I discovered the rack steering had been oil soaked from a chronic valve cover leak, and the rubber mounts were MELTED! (like rubber brake parts when motor oil gets added to M'Cyl...)
    Turn the car, the rack slid to the left and right, opposite the turn direction.
    The buyer, even after LOOKING at the melted rubber, wanted a 'second opinion', arguing that the 'engineers would have seen this coming', blah, blah, blah.
    I let it down, called the seller, and informed him.
    Thankfully, seller 'grounded' the vehicle, and had it repaired. Buyer bailed, calling us a 'gang of conspiritors'.
    Good riddance.

wicarnut and osage orange like this.
  6. 1967 Plymouth 318 sedan, the torsion bar front end was awful, bouncing and twisting all over the place like a wheelbarrow in a tight turn.

osage orange likes this.
  7. My buddy had one.
    Fixed his with a blue bottle

wicarnut and Deuces like this.
  8. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I had a Ford Country Squire, early 60's, with a 390...hated it.

wicarnut likes this.
  9. Pretty much every daily driver I had from 1980 thru 2009. They were all piece's of shit I massaged to keep running, so I could continue to pour real money into hot rods. You gotta do what you gotta do.

10. I only had one I hated, an off topic Honda crv I bought for my wife. I didn't want it but everybody kept saying they don't break down, just change the oil and they go forever.............lost the brakes, head gasket went [less than a thousand miles over warrantee], rode like shit, did not get great fuel mileage, I was cramped in it, and I found out the insurance was almost double because they cost a lot when hit. F'that-piece -omf'ing-shit

11. Deuces

Deuces

Blue bottles sting!!!... :(:rolleyes:

12. 1956 Buick Special 2 Door Hardtop. Two owner car. I bought it because it was complete, and the guy who owned it at the time drove it to my house. That was the best day that I remember about that car.

Every day after that something broke. No matter what it was if I touched it it broke. Brakes didn't work. The engine overheated. Pulled the engine to rebuild it, and it fell off of the cherry picker.

I finally gave that car away. No cash. Gave it away. The next guy had zero problems with it.

wicarnut, WalkerMD and osage orange like this.
  13. exterminator

exterminator

1962 chevy station wagon It sucked up money like you would not believe! Traded it in for the down payment towards a brand new 1977 Datsun b-210. Still don't regret it.LOL

wicarnut and osage orange like this.
  14. I had a 1957 Chevy in high school, Bel Air hardtop, powerpak, etc. I hated that car and it hated me.
    To this day I can't stand '57 Chevrolets (just 57's).

wicarnut and chevy57dude like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Musta been a lemon, huh???

wicarnut, charleyw and chevy57dude like this.
  16. Fifty years ago I bought a really straight 1962 Olds 88 at a church garage sale for $15. I sure miss those days of cheap cars. Maroon metallic paint. No rust no dents. Plain Jane 4 door with worn cloth seats. I polished until paint looked new. Found beautiful tri tone maroon seats in Pontiac at wrecking yard. Really improved look of car.
    Car with 394 v8 ran like a champ, but the damn thing sucked gas faster than they could frack it. Would pass anything on the road but a gas station!
    Put it up for sale and sold it for $350. Very best part of deal is I married the 20 year old blonde gal I sold it to. Right after we married I sold the gas guzzler but kept the blonde for the last 48 years.

17. Pop’s friend had one. In the shop constantly. He said every time he took it in they’d look up the problem and the book would say “step 1: remove engine...”

“Stock up now — before the hoarders get it all!”

alanp561 and wicarnut like this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I absolutely hate this car!
    I have actually been avoiding going to the shop because I don't want to work on it. I hate woodwork with a passion and this car just seems to fight me at every turn.
    I am going to try and sell it or trade it. If that doesn't work I will smash it and haul it off for scrap. IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0613.JPG

wicarnut likes this.
  19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep any of them that was under 300 horse.

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

The salesman maybe did you and your Mom a favor, I know you did not want his advice. Speaking as a Dad with 5 kids, I encouraged them, helped them (they all worked, paid me back) they had slower cars for starters, 3 out of 5 (3 boys, 2 girls) the 3 boys crashed a car in their first year, Thank God no injuries, the fact is you can kill yourself in any car. ( the first 90 days you start driving are the most dangerous time in your life of driving) For 30 + years I was a snowmobiler, purchased new ones regularly, (fastest one available) sold some private party when I got a new one. Two different times, two different sleds, kids shows up with Mom and she's willing to buy the kid his first sled for my asking price and both times got bitched out because I would not sell a 100+ mph sled to a young kid for his first sled, you only have to be 12 with a safety card course in Wisconsin to operate a snowmobile, I know I did the right thing. AS always in anything, youth, bravado, horsepower, speed a very dangerous combination. All my kids had sleds, I got for them, their first ones were low HP 50/60 mph sleds, all good riders, all started at 12, we did this as a family thing for years.

alanp561 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Two years later and I still hate this fucking car.

Not long after that first post, after being sick and tired of playing whack-a-mole with problem after problem, I decided to blow the entire car apart and rebuild it. Starting from scratch was really the only feasible solution since there were too many issues to handle in a piecemeal fashion. I've poured more money into this car than any other vehicle I've ever owned and I haven't driven the car in over 2 years, which is really more my fault because I've taken large periods of time off it since a) I can't stand working on it so I choose not to deal with it, and b) my other cars run well so instead of holing myself up in the garage working on a project I don't even like, I'm out enjoying my other cars with my friends and family.

Took another kick in the dick this week. I have a brand new crate engine for it, painted it up real nice in HOK white pearl. Then this week just before I go to drop it in for good, the balancer got tight, and the ARP bolt snapped off inside the crankshaft as I tightened it, which I've never seen happen before in my life. Now the crank needs to come out and go to the machine shop. Fuck this car.

Truckdoctor Andy and wicarnut like this.
  22. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Was thinking the same thing. What's the saying "hindsight is 20/20"? When I was looking for my first car, Dad had got a really good deal on a wrecked late model Camaro with super low miles, V8, 5 speed. He thought that I might be interested in fixing that for my first car. At the time, I said no because I was determined to get an old car. When I was in my 30s I told Dad "It is probably a good thing that I didn't get that Camaro or I'd likely have ended up dead."

wicarnut likes this.
  23. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I can relate! I've got an OT Firebird that I have been restoring for the past 3 years and I haven't even got the metal work finished. Same deal. Get po'ed cause things don't go my way and spend a lot of time "taking a break".

Also can relate on the crank bolt thing. Also an ARP bolt. Luckily, I didn't have to tear anything apart(engine was already in the car, I had just replaced the balancer). Got some different sized left hand drill bits and a Ridgid screw extractor set and went real slow and careful and managed to get the rest of the bolt out. The tools were kind of expensive... but not as expensive as the alternative.

wicarnut likes this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After going through this thread, I realized that I too, once owned a Jaguar. I hated that car so much that I had completely forgotten about it. Someone posted they had one that you could reach under and pull out sheets of rust and whatever. Mine was the same way, which triggered this memory.

wicarnut likes this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Not sure if I hated any car through my time, definitely had some that were not good cars, PIA IMO, Had my share of GM warranty problems on new vehicles. One car that comes to mind is the beautiful 51 Buick RoadMaster sedan we purchased, was told, professionally restored, supplied with receipts etc. It looked, drove good, made my wife tickle, we purchased it. The only thing I saw was the Dynaflow was leaking and after finding out no one rebuilds them or the few that did wanted $5K, so...... I bought a Buick and Dynaflow book read them, bought rear seal kit $270 and removed back of tranny and fixed it, proud of myself as turned out good, PIA job, enclosed drive-line. First year OK, ran warm and we were running at 65/70 mph going to shows, Second year started having overheating problem changed checked many things, By third year, a big problem, working on it all the time. I'm a shade tree mechanic, You Tube and Google search are my friends, one thing three different men told me was 51 Buick straight 8's were not meant to run 70 mph down the interstate in Summer temps. We put up with it and ran car the forth summer and I figured it needed a complete rebuild as it was re gasket, spray can rebuild. The parts, rebuild kits for 51 Buick straight 8 are crazy expensive, I could buy a GM 350 crate for less money, thought about turning car into RestoMod, but the time and effort was too much for me now, So it went down the road, really did not loose much money just a lot of time/effort, another lesson learned, the man that bought it was aware it ran warm, I told him, he was not concerned, not his first Buick with a straight 8, he appreciated what a nice car it was. Kathy's 51 Buick.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    alanp561 and midnightrider78 like this.
  26. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Those late 40s early 50s Buicks are gorgeous cars. An older resto '47(?) auctioned local recently for what was probably a really fair price and my son really wanted it... but I just couldn't get past it being 4 door.
    2021 11 6 Asa with 47 Buick Knoxville auction pickup.jpg

osage orange and wicarnut like this.
  27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Added a pic of wife's 51, as time has sped by I'm liken them 4 doors.

midnightrider78 likes this.
  28. 327Eric

327Eric

Don't hate it enough to get rid of it, but need a break. I have fought this for years, and it's damn near done in all respects, but I have never really enjoyed driving it. I just swapped the cam which should make a big difference, but had to shove it in the garage because of my Father in laws recent passing, and it can sit until I miss it, or not.

Attached Files:

wicarnut likes this.
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

In 1971 I bought a '67 Chevelle SS with factory 283 and 4 speed. Marina blue, with all blue interior. Only thing I didn't like about it back when I bought it was the marina blue interior. Today I would have thought it was cool in blue on blue. The car was surprisingly quick, and could outrun many 327 Chevy cars with ease, and I began to like it more after driving it a bit.
    Then one month after I got rear ended by an uninsured motorist, and had to have it repaired by my insurance policy. Not a huge deal, but an irritant to have to pay the deductible, and have my new car repaired. A few months later I had some idiot pull out in front of me, and again had to have the car repaired, but this time his insurance paid for it. About four months later I got off work and walked out to go home, and no Chevelle! I worked swingshift, and reported it to the police, who immediately told me they'd found in in a city park on the other side of town. Went to pick it up the next day, and they'd stolen the back tires/wheels, beat the front wheels up trying to break the wheel locks, taken a razor knife and chopped up the interior, and jumped on the hood and trunk lid! Almost a total, but not quite. So once again it got fixed, with a whole new paint job, and since the interior was mostly trashed I had it redone in black. Now I really liked the car! Then 3 months later the cam went flat on the 283, and being in a hurry to get it back on the road, I simply bought a good used 327 and dropped it in. Four days later a guy turned left in front of me and totaled the Chevelle out. It went to a junkyard, but I grabbed the 4 speed out of it before it left.
    About 6 months later I stumbled into a great deal on a '55 Chev business coupe with 6 cyl. and 3 speed. A perfect candidate for a V8 swap! So I bought it, and began rebuilding the 283 I'd taken out of the Chevelle previously. I put all the best speed parts into the 283, and had a pair of old camel hump heads rebuilt, and ported and polished. Bolted the 4 speed behind it, and made up some side mounts, and a tranny crossmember, and dropped it in the '55 Chevy.
    I located a chrome tube axle a buddy had, and installed that in the front of the '55 Chevy, and a Olds rear axle with 4.56 gears in the back. Did the interior and exterior in black, and it was a gorgeous, fast little gasser. Less than 6 months later it was stolen, and never recovered!
    I always thought that damn Chevelle was jinxed, and using the engine/trans in my '55 just passed the jinx right on to my '55 Chevy!

wicarnut likes this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Jaguar cracked cylinder heads became a little part time cash job in my Tool & Die Shop in the 80's, owned for 36 years. It started with a racing friend that loved them Jags, had several and had me fix/weld/re-machine one for him, somehow the word spread through the Jaguar groups including a neighbor up the road that was his business fixing exotic cars. I really did not have the time or desire to keep up with it, already too busy and dealing direct with the "public" IMO is a giant PIA, always whining about cost/delivery. Industrial accounts had good and Bad, but generally enough money involved to make it well worth your time. I had a side business freshening race engines including my own, also complete builds but I qualified my customers, I did not deal with the low buck guys, racing engines can be only 1 way, best parts available, No cutting corners, it's good enough does not apply, and MY reputation on the line. No experts or whiners allowed. All work COD with deposit required and the standard race engine warranty, when the screen door hits your ass on way out, warranty is over. One comeback in MANY engines, I usually went with a new engine to babysit it, I raced my car somewhere else that night, a SBC head, a rocker stud came loose, driver, smart, felt it starting to miss, shut it off, very little damage. This was on a $2000 alum race head, I had purchased from this supplier before, bolt on and go. The next step, car owners wife calls me 7:00 AM monday and is wild, chewing me about the warranty, quality of my work etc. after about 10 minutes she calmed down and I explained, Bring it back and I'll figure out what happened, most likely, no cost to you, But I have to check it out, next day in AM she brings engine in and starts on me again. I explain, give me a day or 2 to look at it, Wow ! a pissed off woman she was. I figured it out quickly the problem, pulled head checked everything, some other studs were coming loose (a tense Call to supplier) Fixed everything, checked many other things, no damage, called, she picked up N/C, my apology, still unhappy with me. OK now I meet them at track, the same good driver lined up, quick time, wins dash and heat. Now they are happy, hugging and kissing me. Their Hero driver is leading the feature by a ton lapping cars and runs over RR of a lap car, hell of a crash, junks the guys racer, fortunately driver OK, car split at motor plate then break engine off engine motor plate on another hit, only time I've seen that. Fame and Fortune can be fleeting in the racing business, never saw this couple again till years later when running my Sprint car, they came over to chat. I told them they might still be the record holder for the car owner Bad Luck Award, one and done. Good people, just not their destiny for fame and fortune in racing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021