Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yoke / U-joint Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grabis, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Grabis

Grabis

Hey H.A.M.B.,

I’m trying to piece together my 54 Chevy project and ran into some unknowns I’m struggling to identify.

My main question is: Is this a 1310 style diff yoke? Or how can I tell?
    It has locating tabs and they are about 3.22-3.23 inches apart. There is not a groove for snap rings.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The rear end is a GM 8.5” 10 bolt. Based on the code JB G230 I believe it to be a 1972 or 1975 car rearend. The gearing seems to match at 2.73

When I bought the car it had this rearend but had a Buick 300 with an auto trans. The engine was seized so I got a 350 SBC and a Saginaw 4 speed. I bought a 1310 slip yoke to mate with the Saginaw but now that I’m at the point of having the driveshaft cut down I’m realizing that the U-joints on the shaft don’t match a 1310 style.

I’m now planning to go get a 1310 style driveshaft from the junkyard but I’m not sure if I would have to change the pinion yoke or possibly use a combination style U-joint.

I’m hoping that the pinion yoke is a 1310 style and I can just get a driveshaft to match so I don’t have oddball U-Joints.

For what it’s worth, the drive shaft has inside C-clips on the U-joints and was installed on the Buick auto trans. I think it’s possible that someone mismatched the rear U-joint. The car came out of a pasture and I don’t know if it was on the road with the Buick drivetrain.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Here’s the driveshaft.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grabis likes this.
  3. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

A 8.5 10 bolt rear end should be a s44 also called r3? U joint. Fits most gm cars from the 60 s to the 90s I think

Grabis likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Grabis likes this.

5. 78Magnum

78Magnum

Grabis,

I work in a driveline shop. Your differential yoke IS a 1310 series. Your driveshaft is a GM 3R series. From experience, I can tell just by looking at your pictures. You can get a conversion u-joint to mate your driveshaft up to your pinion yoke. Spice part number 5-3022X is what you need. I hope this helps you.

Cam

6. squirrel

squirrel

That's what I thought....

I haven't seen the 3R yokes without the plastic titties before.

Grabis likes this.
  7. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

You're missing a couple caps on that rear u-joint from the looks of it. You wouldn't need clips on the rear pinion yoke, those tabs keep the caps from coming off the u-joint and keep it centered in the yoke; all you need are some caps and some u-bolts.

Oh, and u-joints that aren't square are called "bastard joints" and there's lots of them. A parts store where you know the guy behind the counter will have a book you can look through to get exactly what you need, though I'd start with what 78Magnum said up above.

Grabis likes this.
  8. Grabis

Grabis

Guys,
    Thank you for the responses. I was out in the garage last night with the Denny’s Driveline info measuring my parts (car) with a caliper and the 1310 seemed to fit the diff yoke. 3R looked like my driveshaft u-joints.

Wanted some confirmation from folks with more experience than me. As usual, I now have a lot more info than I started with!!!!

Thanks Guys!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. Grabis

Grabis

Cam,
    This is exactly what I was hoping for, someone with daily experience to kick me in the right direction. I hadn’t removed any of the 3R joints yet so my measuring was a little limited. The rear joint caps disappeared when I removed the shaft back in 2015.

Looks like I have two good options. Since the shaft needs to be shortened I can have that done and use conversion u-joints at both ends or try to find a 1310 style driveshaft in the boneyard, with any luck, the correct length.

Thanks Man!!!
    Travis

osage orange likes this.
  10. Grabis

Grabis

Thanks Squirrel!

osage orange likes this.