Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Favorite Roads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Highway 1 California Coast.....hands down

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

....and all the way up through Oregon and Washington.

Lil32 likes this.
  3. atch

atch

For any of you who don't know what the Pig Trail is let's just say there are switchbacks on it where you can see your own taillights.

Boneyard51 and charleyw like this.
  4. My hot rod is really low, so I like a smooth road. But it has to be scenic. Locally, I like Peachy Canyon Rd out of Paso Robles to Vineyard Rd and into Templeton. Curvy through shady oaks with many wineries along the way. It was recently repaved and is smooth as glass.

Lil32 likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen! Wife and I took a little drive up the Columbia River gorge on WA 14 on the 4th. What a spectacular drive.

6. Oilguy

Oilguy

I was just going to add SR14 to the thread. Love that road.

7. rudestude

rudestude

It's not much fun in the wintertime, years back I had a job welding new steel plates in the bellies of them rock barges, the one that split and dump the load out the bottoms, I would meet in Vancouver pick up some of the other crew and drive up 14 .
    The barges were tide up to pile lings on the Oregon side of the river above Bonneville, at midnight we would meet a open boat that would take us out to the work barge.
    It was usually snowing sideways with a wind chill of around 20 below for the 12hr shift, I tell you when the wind is blowing hard up or down river and you Crest that hill on 14, I believe in the area across from Rooster Rock you better be hanging on to the wheel.
    In a way it was fun ,but I was alot younger then.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

Ride on the Cherohala nearly every day. BORING to say the least. Ride the Dragon a couple times a year, have to be alert at all times. Favorite ride is South on 315, then west on 64 over to Murphy this back home on Joe Brown hwy.

9. atch

atch

I'm in NO way being argumentative here, but just about anywhere that you drive "nearly every day" would get boring after a while.

The attraction of Cherohala (for me at least) is that you can see mountains and valleys for miles and miles. It's the scenery. On the Dragon you can seldom see more than a couple of hundred yards as you're in the trees nearly the whole way.

At least that's the way I remember it. I've only been there once and that was at least 10 years ago. I was also on a H-D that day as opposed to in a hot rod.

low down A and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How about the three sisters?

Bones

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have been up and down both sides of the Columbia River roads, inland to the reward, the Maryhill Winery and concert venue several times. It is approximately an 85 mile road that does not get tiring anytime. We were impressed with the sailors and their small sailboats. We were impressed with their skill in trudging up the current and winds on the Columbia. They were old hands at something most ocean sailors usually do not encounter.
    upload_2019-7-10_3-52-18.png Vista Point
    From the Vista House at one end of the Columbia, up the canyon to the farthest reaches of the river, it is a fabulous place and excellent viewing road trip. There are so many things to see and do that it is a little overwhelming. A straight through drive from Troutdale to the Maryhill Winery takes about 90 minutes. But, there are so many things to see. Stop overs are a necessary part of this beautiful countryside road trip. It easily becomes a half day road trip.
    upload_2019-7-10_3-53-37.png

Did I mention the small and large waterfalls with hiking trails just off of the road?
    upload_2019-7-10_3-54-0.png
    When we first experienced this Oregon side of the road, it was pretty cool and wonderful. The drive is a little better than the Washington side of the river, going either way. The drive is worth the time and beauty. It is not a fast curvy road, but a lazy winding, somewhat flat in areas, sometimes windy road during the summers. I would hate to drive on it during a driving rain or during the winters.

Jnaki

My wife liked the area. This trip included Portland, OR, Vancouver, Washington and all the way up the freeway/coastline to the ferry boats at Anacortes, WA, to take us to the San Juan Islands. Actually, if we had to move to another part of the USA, this would be it, despite the rainy, moist weather most of the time. We are So Cal, Pacific Ocean, coastal, beach-type folks and the Pacific Ocean does wind into that big bay up North.

Lil32, Boneyard51 and TerrytheK like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We try to keep this kind of thing hush hush :cool: Glad you enjoyed our little sandbox.

rudestude and jnaki like this.
  13. Every time I drive through Six Mile,South Carolina I always drive down Booger Branch Rd, yeah there is such a place! HRP

[​IMG]

j-jock and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

PCH...HWY 1/101 in California and 17 Mile Drive in Monterey, Ca.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil32 and phelan9251 like this.
  15. j3harleys

j3harleys

Any road in the Black Hills in a hot rod or motorcycle. Just don't do it the first part of August.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Ever since my dad used to take us on short drives in So Cal with his 1941, 49, 53, and 57 Buick sedans, I have always looked outside of the windows at the wonders of the roads. In the early days, it was the wonderful Long Beach shoreline, Ocean Avenue and Coast Highway to the OC Beaches and towns. Then, it was across the highway, a ferry ride and into the San Pedro coastal road around the whole Palos Verdes Peninsula and back home to the Westside of Long Beach. Wow, that was “IT” for us little kids. Then, it was up the South Bay/ LA coastal Highway 1 all the way to Santa Barbara.

Those ended up as part of our So Cal cruising road trips when we started to drive our own hot rods and customs. But, the list could be longer when the teen years started and continued on to our own road trips as “older” road enthusiasts. Looking out of the Buick windows gave me a different look at driving and where things were. I tried remembering each road trip in my growing brain and as a teen, it played out nicely. I ended up wanting to drive, than be a passenger for the rest of our road trips, anywhere.

We were used to our daily jaunts around Bixby Knolls, Belmont Shore and the OC towns. The PCH coastal roads were some of the most beautiful drives in So Cal. it has been compared to the European coastal drives, while being within an arms distance away in location, most of the times. My wife pointed out that on one of her favorite TV shows, “Christina on The Coast,” there is an example of So Cal coastal driving in the flesh and in a “not so hot rod” of a convertible.

This So Cal coastal Highway 1 or PCH all along the shoreline to Baja, through some real funky coastal towns/cities gives a feeling of being at the end of the world, yet so close to civilization. Going up the Highway 1 or PCH is also one of the nicest for us. The destination of Santa Barbara is always enhanced with the coastal drive instead of using the over packed freeways.

Chainsmokers

Jnaki

We have taken plenty of road trips over the 70 years of living and driving all over the Westcoast of the USA. We were amazed at the aforementioned Highway 1 through the Big Sur area. Reality brings anyone back to life in the coastal cities and when finished with the cities, it is back to fabulous coastal Highway 1 all the way through two other states up to Canada. For us and the multiple times on that coastal road that borders the Pacific Ocean, (with plenty of interesting rest stops along the way up and returning) that is a road trip worth taking, many times over.

Yes, it is the same coastal Highway 1, but being on the edge of the road/cliff/shoreline going South is a lot different view than being on the inside lane going North. With plenty of time for road trips, this coastal Highway 1 never gets old. It is the journey AND the destination.

j3harleys likes this.
  17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nope....Anywhere North of Big Mac. Particularly the 'backroads'. I love the drive on 123 from I75 to Paradise.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

For Curvy , George's Gap rd , Cove Creek NC near Boone. Short but so curvy you pass the Same house 3 times. Low country SC , too many to list .Lots of Live Oaks with Spanish Moss. Just about any rd in or around the south west, thru Sedona, old or 66, road up to General Sherman Redwood from Visilia Ca . Just about any road headed west at or around sunset.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. I love interstate 87 North of the Lake George NY area...and interstate 75 North of Topeka Kansas heading thru Holton and up to the Nebraska border 10959099_10204916884234642_477489464_n.jpg
    Most of the roads in Kansas away from the cities are also very nice...love the long flat straight lines... 10944695_10204916884714654_1088767926_n.jpg my 2 cents
    MikeC

20. Mahty

Mahty

The Mississippi Trace is a long, slow meandering road with no signs, just natural beauty. Perfect for a low stress trip. No idiots. Then there’s Four Wheel Drive in southern Alaska. Aptly named.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we knew we had plenty of time to get to our secret spots along the Baja coastline, we leisurely drove down Highway 1 through all of the So Cal coastal cities, just in case the swells were hitting them perfectly. Carlsbad, Torrey Pines, Swami’s and La Jolla, were enjoyable places that we normally did not surf regularly, but, were worth the effort to stop and check the waves. The one big problem for my 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was that long coastal drive, nearing the Torrey Pines steep grade, along the beach side cliff area was a killer on the low powered Flathead. (second gear, indeed...)

We did stop and enjoy the north San Diego county surf spots so much that the continued drives South, across the border during our vacation road trips was a hard choice. Our two favorite surf spots in the San Diego region were Swami's and Windansea in La Jolla. Swami's Cliff view was seen right off of the southerly, Coast Highway route and unless we got there early, became quite crowded. La Jolla's Windansea was usually a local surfers type of place with several ways to drive into the area. But, the coastal, neighborhood drive was worth it, as it was a fantastic location.

But, in these early 1960-68 surfing days, there were less people at certain surf spots, so it made the continued, South across the border, trip worthwhile. The Baja coast line is a change from looking at the conditions of the small villages and towns. There are rugged cliffs, narrow roads and empty waves during this time period.

The road trip did have some hazards as the local drivers tend to be a little pushy or non “sharing the road” types. But, the coastal cliffs hid most of the best spots, so our discoveries were very important to keep secret. Eventually, people brag and the so called secret spots tend to get crowded. The years of pristine, empty waves that we were able to get, along with the feeling of adventure on these coastal roads made the long road trip in a foreign county, fun and exciting.

upload_2019-8-24_4-0-56.png photo Leo H.
    Jnaki

For example: We accidentally discovered a remote point break that was partially hidden from a popular roadside/beach/surfing area. It took a whole afternoon lugging our heavy longboards up the beach, around a cliff side and into a small bay that had some of the best, world class, point surf that we had ever seen. It was comparable to the break at Rincon in the Santa Barbara area coastline. And…no one was riding those pristine waves. Unridden waves during the heyday of longboard surfing?

The tall cliff had a steep, narrow trail leading down to the beach. Later we spent another afternoon trying to find the dirt trail from the highway to a small depressed land area on top of the cliff. That was the parking area with the beach trail leading down the steep cliff. It was great, in that the cars/vans were hidden from the busy highway. Most people knew of the popular beach just a short distance South, so this curve went by quickly.

The feeling of adventure was always upon us rounding the next bend on the curvy highway down to the popular beach town of Ensenada. Just North were three separate spots that were outstanding and listed in our favorite surf spots memories. At the time, there was no need to go farther South as the crowds were not a thick as today.
    upload_2019-8-24_4-3-37.png 1961
    James Nak photo
    The destination is just as good as the journey…(We just had to watch out for spiny purple sea urchins.)
    upload_2019-8-24_4-4-42.png

chiro, Ron Funkhouser and TerrytheK like this.
  22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are blessed with lots of great rural roads and, as everyone from around here has mentioned, the Blue Ridge Parkway is wonderful to slow cruise on. I can be in the mountains and on BRP in an hour or just a little more.

Boneyard51 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much any road I'm on with an old car is my favorite.
    If I want a little more hammer-down, I can hit I-29 in neighbor state South Dakota where the speed limit is 80 mph. And I love a leisurely roll down a two-lane, just to unwind a little. They're all good.
    Reading about all these favorite roads, I guess, would be a great incentive to get my damn car back together, huh?
    Wherever you go, dig the drive! :D

Boneyard51 and jnaki like this.
  24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you and you are not mistaken.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

Can you identify this one?

mysteryroad.jpg

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

E1D878B7-22BD-4B29-BFF7-E53300713293.jpeg We just drove Highway 127 in Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. BuckeyeBuicks, turn me on to a 700 mile long garage sale, we did the Southern 250 miles of had had a blast, but he didn’t mention the scenery! What an added pleasant surprise to add to our fun! I added a picture of one of the views.

Bones

27. Being where I am in Oregon I have many options for what I'd describe as being epic roads, many chasing winding rivers through beautiful forests and many covered bridges. So I feel I have a good idea as to what makes an epic road. However, the last few weeks while on a cross country road trip with the family we went on a few epic roads that were just breath taking. The two I would put in that category are the Beartooth Highway in Montana and Wyoming near Yellowstone and the Iron Mountain Road through the Black Hills leading up to Rushmore. Both were built in the 1930s. Beartooth Highway climbs 5,000 feet reaching nearly 11,000 feet with tons of switchbacks and hairpin turns. I wouldn't recommend this one for anyone that is afraid of heights. Iron Mountain Road is very similar to a roller coaster the way that the road winds, with many pig tail turns and has many one lane tunnels. If traveling from south to north (the only way to do it in my opinion) as you come through many of the tunnels you'll find that Rushmore is the center piece of the tunnel, much like a picture in a frame. The road is not only an engineering masterpiece, but I would also describe it as an art piece. I would say that this is the best way to experience Rushmore.
    Beartooth Highway - pictures are not mine
    Dead-Indian-Summit-Overlook.jpg la-1526508185-5jis6yzmuu-snap-image.jpg BeartoothHwy_near_BeartoothPass.jpg 33812h.jpg Iron Mountain Road - pictures are not mine
    28730203341_80d1ef5c04_b.jpg 3999_20001_Black_Hills_Iron_Mountain_Road_lg.jpg IronMtRoad00043.jpg

28. My new favorite is keystone rt44 from NY state line all the way down to Williamsport, PA. It is about 100 mile, 5 towns, and endless state and national forests. Below is a view from one of the many pullouts.
    upload_2019-8-29_14-14-30.png

29. Just about anywhere in BC, except for the crowded Lower Mainland. My all time favourite is the Fraser Canyon, and my second, is the Hope Princeton Highway. The canyon is a good modern road, with lots of corners, fantastic views, and lots of tunnels so you can hear your pipes.
    Bob

30. Caprice89

Caprice89