Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tools/ Things found on the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Aug 28, 2019.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I found a 20' section of 1" chain about 35 years ago, after loading it up I understood why whoever lost it left it there. I drug that thing around for about 20 years, it even made it from Ohio to Wyoming. It finally got left behind as a house warming gift for the next tenant of a rental I lived in, having never been used once in the 20 years I had it.
    (edit) After talking to my friend, I realized I found this chain back in 1979 (slightly lengthy story ahead), at the cleanup scene of a couple friends accident when they worked for the B&O, prolly The Chessie by this time. Anyhoo, they had gotten drunk, and took a nap in their work truck, with their work truck on the tracks. Yes, yonder came a train, and fortunately they bailed out before the truck was punted off the rails. The railroad being what it was in the region at the time, the big chain that weighed about 5lbs/link, got left behind, The International one ton got shortened into the length of a CJ5, with a perfect coupler imprint in the front, and the whole line from Cincinnati to Washington disappeared less than 10 years later.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. clem

clem

Might have fallen off the back of a Hambers truck........

osage orange and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

Almost

4. DAMN Danny!!!!!!

5. When I lived in Fla. I saw something on the side of the road and slammed on my brakes and did a u turn. My wife thought I had lost my mind. There was a chain saw and a leaf blower that had fallen off some one trailer.There was a guy right behind me who saw it too and stopped but I beat him to it. Bruce.

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

long ago, at 5 AM on a winter morning, I found a big red toolbox filled with carpet installation tools. problem was, I found it with the front end of my company car.

7. 3/8's drive snap-on ratchet......and a hood off a 55 Chevy.........found that about as soon as I could back up the road to where it tore itself off my 55 Chevy.......

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came across a step ladder blocking most of my lane (outside lane, going pretty fast) on a busy but fast moving LA freeway. From the very brief inspection of it it seemed to be in satisfactory condition, but I was rather more concerned about maintaining the condition of my '32 roadster! It was something of a miracle that there was a break in the concrete wall which afforded me the room to drive around it. Could have been very different. I hate to think that someone else could have and into it, but there was nothing I could have done about that.

Chris

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Only pure luck I saw her. Dead of a winter night, pushed over a snow bank on an highway off ramp. No cell phone but managed to flag someone down to call for help. Covered her with a blanket for a bit of warmth, someone had done a real number on this poor woman. Never did hear an outcome.

10. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

I was on my motorcycle stopped to let a car back out of a parking space at the bank when I saw a envelope laying on the ground under the front tire. I picked it up to put in the trash, when I opened it up it had $1405. in cash and some checks totaling $7679.12 and a deposit slip. Took in the bank to the teller and said I had found this outside in the lot and would she deposit it and mail the receipt to the owner, she thanked me and said she would. On my way out of the bank I hold the door for this really hot chick, and I go to the ATM to get some cash. Out comes the hottie and said are you the guy that found the deposit from my dads company? I said yea. She said where did you find it? I said it was under the front tire of the car that was parked where my bike is. She said she thought she lost it when she stopped for gas next to the bank. Kept giving me hugs and saying thanks. That made my day.

/

11. I had changed the battery in my OT Malibu and dropped a good Snap On 10mm socket into the engine bay... sounded like it fell through, looked on the driveway, bounced the car... nada. This was in last November... slow forward to this past May. I started my car at work, heard a metallic sound for a second, not related to the running of the engine. The next day I get to work, generally park in the same spot when I can. I come out of work that day... my 10mm socket is sitting on the asphalt. A little rusty otherwise fine.

12. I still have and use a Par-X 9/16" combination wrench that I found when I was 9. It was in the middle of a 2-lane road I was waiting to cross, right on the double yellow line.

13. That...is literally giving you the finger!!

14. I was stopped at the lights and right next to me, on the median strip, was a 3 metre aluminium "A" ladder. The guy in front of me, in a pick-up, was looking at it, the guy behind me, in a ute, was looking at it, so I jumped out, grabbed it, and stuck it in the back of my wagon, while they were deciding what to do. As the lights changed, I was expecting some Bulgarian painter to yell out "Hey, you got my ladder" (I would have given it back), but I heard nothing & continued on my way home. Once I found a plastic compost drum on the side of the road (must have blown off someone's trailer,) so after I loaded it up, about a mile down the road, I was trying to figure out what to use for a lid when I looked to the side, and - there was the lid!

15. blackanblue

blackanblue

I found a 25 horse evinrude boat motor in the middle of the road going to town, would have worked perfectly with that boat sold it for 200$

16. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

We found a pile of castings and hardware on the side of the road in South Park, WA, with a "free" sign on top. Immediately recognized it as a Harbor Freight 3 in 1 machine. Downloaded a manual, figured out that it was complete except for some bushings and springs. Turned up some bushings on the lathe, got some springs , aat Ace and ten years later we are still using that thing! The shear blades were full, so it's more of a 2 in 1, but hey, it was free, so what can you do?

Bones[/QUOTE]

17. It's been about 35 years ago but our twin girls were walking home from their friends house down the street and handed me a wallet they hod found in the street, it had a drivers license of a man from Georgia, a registration card, social security card and various important papers, inside the wallet was 8 one hundred dollar bills.

I was able to locate the man and he was confused at first and I explained that my kids had found his wallet and where it was found, he was shocked and told me he had lost his wallet when he went fishing at Lake Hartwell and the last time hhe remembered having his wallet out was on the boat to show a game warden is fishing license, but what amazed him even more was that was 6 years prier to the wallet being found.

I gave him my address and the next day he came to pick it up, he was surprised the money was still in the wallet and gave each girl a hundred dollar bill as a reward for finding hi wallet and contents. HRP

18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

About thirty years ago I had a mustang that was my daily driver. I was driving down a side street when at the last second I saw a box in the road in front of me. I couldn't avoid it and hope that the box was either empty or full of feathers. No such luck!. It had a full refrigerant tank in it and it cracked the fairing on my car and did some other damage. I placed an add in the paper that I had found it and whoever it belonged to could claim it. When the guy showed up in his company truck to get it I showed him the police report and handed him the bill for the damage.

J.Ukrop, belair, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I’ve found a lot of tools over the years, the best was an OTC 3’ pry bar that so far has been indestructible...

osage orange likes this.
  20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Before they were reproed, I spotted a OT 70 Chevelle Cowl Induct hood with the flapper leaning against the K rail next to the fast lane on the 91 Fwy in Riverside. We were in our very OT Rabbit, but headed to a good friend that was heave into Chevelles, we jumped into his 70 El Camino and headed back to the scene of the crime. We had to go by on the opposite side and it was still there. Made the turn around and we had a plan. He would slow down with emergency flashers as if we had a problem, I would jump out and throw the hood into the bed of the truck and then a quick jump back into the cab, the plan. We slowed, I jumped out in the very narrow lane, with cars going by about 70mph, the 91 is a main artery from the IE to Orange County, it was surreal.
    Hood into the truck, watch for a break, jump into the cab, now to power up to merge into the fast lane, heart beating. That was 20 years ago and he still has the hood, but not the El Camino...

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You'd think that with as many as are missing, SOMEONE would find a 10mm socket......

22. One a cold frosty October or November morning in 1966 my dad was taking me to high school because I had missed the bus, he was already a little peeved with me and when he turned on to Camellia Drive he was driving several miles per hour over the speed limit, about half way down the road a policeman flipped on his red light and dad gave me that I'm going to kill you look as he eased over on the side of the road.

I'm trying not to make eye contact with dad and make things worse so I just looked out the passanger window down the embankment and into the creek, something caught my eye and I just opened the door and got out and walked down the bank, there were literately hundreds of red & white fishing bobbers floating around so I started gathering them up, I looked around but couldn't find anything to ut them in so I started stuffing them in my coat pockets and climbed back up the embankment, the officer was finishing up with dad and he said get in and I showed him what I had found and told him there is a lot more down there.

Dad got out of the car and looked down and said get that milk crate out of the back and go back down there and get all you can, I filled the crate up and there were still hundreds floating down the creek.

My dad loved to fish and for some reason all those bobbers improved his mood, he said your already late for school, lets just go fishing and that's exactly what we day, for the day to start off as a crappy day we went fishing and had a crappie day. :D

When my dad passed away in '99 I was cleaning out his shed to get the place ready to put the property on the market and as I was moving things around I found a coffee can full of them, I gave most of them to family members and told them to story that went with it. HRP

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Find a lot of stuff biking, last summer a craftsman 5/8” wrench, another time a snap on 1/2” drive flex connector. Used to do surveying, surprising the amount of stuff along the road.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Not only did that fork wreck your tire but it appears to be flipping you the bird.
    Stupid cutlery!

25. I sort of "found" a lawnmower.
    Actually, I was out in the yard when I saw a landscaper truck peel out onto the state highway and the mower rolled off the back into the grassy ditch 30 feet from where I was standing. There was no way to I.D. the truck so all I could do was put the mower to good use for a few years.

'Nother time like that, I was traveling on the high-speed loop around Houston and ahead of me was a U-Haul sized truck (produce delivery truck) with its back door rolled all the way up. Well, a 24 head case of lettuce popped out the back and fortunately for me, it pancaked and continued to slide forward, giving me time to change lanes at about 70mph. I dodged but I'm sure someone behind me very shortly made a very large salad.

26. Among other things, two steel-handled hammers at different times, a nice, large ballpein and a contractor's quality claw hammer. Been using both for years, and would never have paid the higher price for either. Also, I live near a meandering creek that, when it floods, brings down someone's nice 4x4s and 2x6s in various lengths, plus some alloy wheels with air-filled tires in good condition. Unfortunately, among the three wheels, I have yet to get two that match. When I do, I'll fabricate a two-wheel trailer. Sure wish scrap steel floated!

27. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

This gal!

IMG_20171224_180812642 (2).jpg

She was just a lost pup, all skinned up with road rash and limping along. I don't know if she fell out of something or was tossed out but I took her home with me. That was over 10 years ago and she has been the best dog I have ever had.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D All sorts of things.Tools,vehicle parts,cash money,two cases of beer,a case of canned meat from a local store,all sorts of cleaning supplies,fishing,hunting and camping gear,a couple of pairs of new unworn boots in my size.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

30. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Was at a swap meet in Michigan about 20 years ago, my dad asked a guy if he had any dropped axles. Guy said he had 2, looked in the trailer and said they must off slid off somewhere. Wouldn’t have wanted to be directly behind that, but if it was true that would have been quite a roadside find.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app