Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How straight do drive lines with one u-joint have to be?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Hines, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

So in theory, when you only have one u-joint instead of two, in a drive line, any mis-alignment will cause accelerations and decelerations (which are felt as vibrations) in the drive line.
    I am looking for input from someone that though experience actually knows how much mis-alignment the early ford 32-48 setup can tolerate without vibrating. I need help from someone who understands the difference between a modern two u-joint setup and the early ford setup. I am working to get my entire drive line from balancer to banjo very straight in line. The problem is I don't know what the angular tolerance should be.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Henry Ford had the driveshaft running downhill to the rear. I can't say how much though, but probably a couple degrees, on everything from T's to 1948.

I think with most old Fords (and hot rods) there are so many vibrations coming from many sources that the accel/deccel you are talking about cannot be pinpointed.

Which type of driveshaft you use might make a big difference as well. The 32 smaller tube, the 36 big tube, or the 48 solid shaft. Hopefully some engineers will chime in now.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Food for thought.
    When did the use of cardboard tubes in driveshafts start?
    It can make a big difference in quelling driveshaft related vibration/harmonics.
    Old HAMB thread here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cutting-drive-shaft-down-found-card-board-tube.388088/

More good reference material on driveshafts here:
    With photos
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...ave+cardboard+tubes+in+it&aqs=mobile-gws-lite..

4. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I have my drive train going 2 degrees down in the rear. Just not sure how straight in line is straight enough?