Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CD Boxes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Has anybody tried the Vertex CD box #401001?

I like to use a stock single points distributor to trigger a hidden CD box. I was wondering if these Vertex boxes are any good. The MSD6AL seems to be giving people lots of trouble anymore...

I do have a old CD that looks like a Mark 10 that I could use but it doesn't have the rev limiter but I wouldn't have to hid it..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Vertex-Z6-CD-Ignition-Box-401001-Black-Powdercoated-Cast-Aluminum/293187030414?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. MecGen

MecGen

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The Vertex Z6 CD ignition box combines performance, looks and reliability. With spark energy of 150mJ and a housing available in powder coated cast aluminum, polished billet or anodized billet the Z6 offer the best of both worlds. Current overload protection automatically shuts the box off if a problem is detected with the coil, other boxes will overheat and die in this event. This box will multi-spark up to 3,000 rpm for easier starting and smother idle. The sealed wiring connector makes installation easy and matches up to competitor’s harness for direct plug in replacement. The Z6 features a rotary dial rev limiter that is adjustable in 100 rpm increments from 2,000-9,900 rpm and has a sealed cover to keep water and debris out. The box is supplied with a complete hardware kit and harnesses to fit most applications.

• Current overload shutdown protects the ignition from coil failure
    • Reverse polarity protection
    • Made in USA
    • Available in red powder coated cast or polished billet aluminum case
    • LED indicator shows when the unit is on and flashes for system errors
    • Works with 4, 6, & 8 cylinder engines
    • Includes all hardware and a Taylor manufactured wire harness with a sealed locking connector
    • 1 Year Warranty
    • Maximum operating RPM: 9,900
    • Size: 8” x 4” x 2“10-14.5 Volt operation
    • Spark Energy: 150 mJ
    • Current Draw: .75 Amp/1,000 RPM
    • Output Voltage: 550V Primary / 47,000V Secondary

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does look like Delta mark 10. In fact identical minus the cosmetics. I also noticed the company was in TX. If the latest 6AL are giving problems it makes a good case for swap meet versions offered by those who went to newer stuff. Just a thought...

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

The Vertex box looks like a modern copy of the MSD. It would be a shame to ruin the old hot rod vibe with something like that :)

It's a lot easier to find old MSD 6A boxes than 6AL boxes. But real men don't use rev limiters, do they?

hrm2k likes this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

LOL Real men pick up engine parts after they've cooled down, I'm a punk.. LOL

I'm going to hide the new box if I go that route..

This box does look like an old Delta.. I like being able to switch back to straight points. I would have to connect the capacitor up. Unless I can leave it connected, what would it do to the CD box?

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

I've never used a rev limiter, and never had to pick up pieces...worst I did was slightly bend a few valves. But I might not drive as hard as some guys.

I think you can get away without a condensor when the CD box is in use, but you need it when it's bypassed. I didn't read all the directions though.

I think I have a non-working Delta box around here somewhere. The V J box sure looks like a copy of it. Delta was out of Colorado.