Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Package Deuce Roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Aug 27, 2019.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Mostly during the first 10 years of the 2000's I produced about 15-16 what I called package highboy deuce roadsters. My stg III 32 roller chassis topped with a Brookville 32 roadster body, floor and trans tunnel, firewall, Vintique chrome windshield assembly, Rootlieb hood , Vintique shell with a then Dales insert. Walker radiator, Tanks deuce tank, My banjo steering column with 39 banjo wheel, Limeworks drop, joints and shaft installed. Everything installed and fitted and in bare metal. They sold for from 29-32,000 depending on chrome and brake options. Question is has that market sailed or are there still people out there looking for something like this. I recently sold a project I had lost interest in but still have the desire to do something. Opinions welcome.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Tough question there. Like you mentioned during the early part of the 2000's this was a great business model. Others were doing this as well, some with metal some with glass. I'm just not sure the demand is still there at the level you experienced back then. JMHO...................................Don.

Hnstray and lurker mick like this.
  3. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

You could try on a small scale (1or2) cars to see how they sell, or if there’s money to be made

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I know most of the quality suppliers I talked to when I started down the path of building my '32 5 window 2 years ago were all busy. Waited several months for the rolling chassis from Pete and Jakes (sorry, great product but I didn't buy from you) and almost 9 months for the body from New Age Motorsports. I think what I am seeing more these days is guys buying parts because they can't afford it all in one pile. For a change I could afford a large chunk at once but nobody had the pile of parts I wanted. The choices are too great these days. I think any package that isn't easily tailored would be hard to sell. When you start to tailor that package deal, you will quickly reach a point that it is a custom build and the business model is then lost.

I think Speedway Motors was selling almost the same "kit" you were for around $50,000? Don't see them in the latest catalog. Might still be doing it but not finding them anywhere.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Signature-Series-All-Steel-1932-Roadster-Kit-Car,14322.html Would love to know how many they actually sold.

I know several places offering '32 5 window rolling chassis with basic assembled 'glass body kits for $15-17,000 with a stock list of options. They couldn't produce what I wanted so I went peace meal and got exactly what I wanted. Buyers are spoiled these days.

This board is all about the traditional but from attending Good Guys last summer, there are still a lot more street rod builders than traditionalists out there. I see a lot of unfinished projects of both styles listed daily. I think the trick would be to convince people the hard work is done by you, it's ready to detail, blow apart for paint/upholstery and you would be at a driver faster and cheaper than piece mealing one together. Also providing paperwork for easy title work would be a plus.

Might be a tough sell.
    SPark

5. 34Phil

34Phil

I think a large part of the market age group has aged beyond finishing one so custom turn key might be better but lump sum will scare off most so maybe fiberglass body with 5 pt. rollbar, bikini top, no opening trunk or driver door which dictates column shifted automatic and bench seat, ABS interior panels, fiberglass w/s posts and raw edge w/s.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe an idea. Maybe not. See what a finished 1932 is selling at one of the big auctions. Might tell you the going price is on a finished '32 is going for with the money guys writing to the checks. Then set your scale by that .

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, the 32 market has changed, market saturated/aging out of car hobbyist /seems to be abundance of nice cars for sale, many priced low to sell. The fad/market now seems to be RestoMod and Muscle cars. I would think you would know your market as you built/sold many, why did you stop ? I don't want to rain on your's or anybody's parade, as someone suggested, maybe build one and see how it shakes out. I sold my 32 back in 2015, got very good $$$ and I always look at 32's for sale at shows, have seen many similar to mine or nicer for 10K/12K less, so far I have resisted the urge to snap one up as mine was sitting in garage after buying my Mercury, another market that seems to have changed. Another thought, IF I buy another hobby car at this time in my life, it will be a turn key finished car as I'm one the aging out guys, many of us I have noticed, gray hair/no hair hobby. Good Luck ! As always my opinions and $2 buys coffee at my breakfast joint, my opinions are worth the price you paid.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  8. millersgarage

millersgarage

I think that market is gone.
    Hard to find a buyer who wants to turn a wrench anymore, they just want to buy a completed car.

clem likes this.
  9. sawzall

sawzall

Going with this theme.. I've recently been offered an "opportunity" to purchase an existing "old car" business. I'm struggling with the decision as I have serious concerns about the market. Watching an experienced vendor (krylon) ask this question raises additional concerns...

Is the sky finally falling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. clem

clem

Plenty of roadsters out there, what about steel UP 5 windows instead ?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Market is saturated with aftermarket hot rods and bringing prices down . It’s bringing both originals cars and aftermarket ones with lower prices and demand. As a aging following of the early hotrods it becomes a buyers market. Just recently seen a original restored ish 32 roadster sell below 35k or so and it was real. I also have seen aftermarket 32 drivers go for below 25k mark..
    Now add a project car and believe there is a need for this but at a affordable price like the great Model A Ford.. I see the market for a simple enjoyable hot rod with out all the bells and whistles..

jim snow likes this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

You guys are probably right, the ship has sailed for the higher end project car in today's market. I'll just stick to building chassis and keep my spare cash in the bank box for a rainy day.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Spare cash"?

scotty t and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

I think guys like to have special cars, something that they don't find at every show. Even with 32 Fords, there can be a lot of same/sameness. A standard chassis might not be what people are looking for nowadays. If you can do special orders I'd think that would sell better. And it would keep you from getting bored.

Stuff like different dropped axle and wishbones (maybe even real old Ford stuff), rake, mounts for odd engines, bobbed frame horns, etc.

oldtymehiboy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree with alchemy maybe the trend is going towards uniqueness over cookie cutter. I mean I can get bored real quick when your at a huge show and it looks like 1932 era dealership except fancier paint, wheels etc. The ones that are different grab my attention. Even wheels are turning to a ho hum same old same old.

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Or it could be me .:D

17. oldolds

oldolds

One group of posts here says 32 Ford prices are going down. Another group says the were never higher. I believe if you are careful you can make money either way.
    Sounds like you have a game plan and experience which is half the battle. Put together your basic chassis, bolt a body on it. Just enough to give someone the idea, but not personalized. Drag it around to a few shows, post it on the internet for sale, ect. Be willing to part it out if you have to, sell the chassis without the body, ect. The body will display your chassis. If somebody wants the body alone and you can make a couple bucks, sell it. You can buy another one.

18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

When we go to a show, especially a large one like Columbus, my wife always asks me if I am going to look at every 32 Ford. And I always say yes I am. She always thought they were all the same until I started pointing out the little things that make a difference. She gets it, sorta.

j3harleys likes this.
  19. Wow. Frequent poster without a HAMB project, here. 47 years old, wrench on ALL my own stuff, whether it be car or home oriented.

Buy as is ... is a struggle. Budget fit what you're eyeballing ? Not as often as you like. Great to buy a running complete, if you can find what you like, for the budget appeasable. How often does that happen ? Ever ?

Buying a package, from a HAMB guy ... a respected HAMB builder ? ALL DAY LONG.

That seems like a reasonable start, for a builder.

What the hell do I know ? I have a parts pile in my garage, a parts pile being polished by 117Harv' in Oregon, a just started Amazon business, and a whole hell of a lot of "what the f#ck am I doing?" ... going for me. Ain't much is it ?

scotty t likes this.
  20. clem

clem

Build your chassis but, Advertise them as finished to any stage they want, if they want, beyond chassis stage, with body on etc, then use their $ to finish them ?

21. clem

clem

Still a growing population but perhaps a declining hot rod clientele.
    Consider selling them off shore to Japan ? a real traditional hot rod thing going on there.
    Other factors are your age, time available etc, is this a full time job, semi retirement plan or hobby type thing.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We definately are in a transition period here, seems the people with money are more "instant gratification" minded, everything has to be available with a couple of mouse clicks.
    Maybe advertising a free cel phone with every full package order would boost sales.
    Seems to be the hook nowadays.

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Roy Brizio builds the 'ultimate '32 Highboy'. $32K??? Triple that, and you could be in one.
    Hey...his latest won AMBR, in Olive Drab, yet. Congrats, Roy.
    Roy does it with a handicap. 'Perfect'? Close as you can get. He's selling them.
    And building to order.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And you know Ol' Roy doesn't get caught up in all the "traditional" drama either!

oldtymehiboy and Blues4U like this.