Register now to get rid of these ads!

eBay thinks it's Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Jun 19, 2006.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-WOODY-WAGON-1948-FORD-WOODY-WAGON_W0QQitemZ4650711062

I was offered a rough one of these pretty cheap, so I was trying to see what it might sell for and found this listing. Get a load of the current bid - and the reserve is not met yet???

It is nice, redone with a Mustang-II kit, 302 Ford motor, etc. - I don't see anything to criticize about the car itself... but...

Old Cars Price Guide, which is usually high, tops out at $45K for one of these, and I have to believe you could buy the other one listed right now and duplicate this one, for about that same $45K - paying someone else to do the work. It would probably depend mostly on just what woodwork it needs.

So why is this one bid so high and what on earth is the reserve? If it has a big-name builder, I didn't see them mentioned in the listing.

Oh yeah. I did find one in about the same shape, maybe a little worse, as the one I was offered. $750 or so it went for - now I know why I can get one so cheap. I'll have to go look it over, I was led to believe some of the body and hardware was left, the $750 one was a cowl, frame and floors.

Makes me wish I'd taken some woodworking classes on the side when I went to college, though.

2. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

I'm with you. Whats up with that!

3. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

for that price a crestliner steeringwheel and a hot flathead and stock suspension with an dropped axle would been .. well... in that case does really an 302 + mii + nice steering wheel really add up to more value?

4. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

seventy-five-fucking-grand?!? and it's not even full-gennie!!!

not worth it, still a nice car though...

troy.

5. Get ready, boys. Someone here is gonna start in saying it all costs big money and always has.

But I'm with you. This shit is sending a message to sellers that they can ask whatever they want.

6. evltwin

evltwin
    from Milford MI

I think the high prices we are seeing is in part due to Barret Jackson.

People see the high price and fast climb in value of cars on Barret Jackson and think.... I should "invest" in cars.

The stock market is uncertain and other investment plans are not yielding supper high returns so they run to something that looks better. Remember 20+/- years ago the ferraris peaked. People paid millions now they can only get a fraction of their money back.

I think investers are jacking our hobby.

7. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

The engine heads at least don't seem to be painted, or if everything is, it looks like crap. Why is it everyone looks to put in the equivalent of a Sparkomatic radio in a nice looking car? (I've seen $40 radios in some serious "bling" cars . . . ) It's a nice car, but I think this auction might be a bit of a "you scratch my back" type thing . . . seems fishy. Someone might be hoping the feeding frenzy will cause someone else to snap it up at the last minute.

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Guys, the sad true about all this is that nothing for sale is worth any more or any less than someone is willing to pay for it. Don't blame the sellers...blame the buyers, they're the ones that actually set the price.

9. jetmek

jetmek

ive seen that termite wagon up close....nice car but there aint a ford ever made thats worth that kind of scratch

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Seventy five grand is chump change to some folks.... It seems crazy to us , but its a relative thing. All it takes is two of that kinda people to run up the price... Nice car!

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, check out the sale prices on the woodies in the R&M auction last week in New Hampshire. They were TOP OF THE LINE restorations, and I think that may have an effect on future prices. Good stuff sells, GREAT stuff brings TOP DOLLAR. :D

12. It must be that 302 litre engine thats driving the price up. An engine that size will push a tugboat up on a plane. The pictures look like a 302ci. You'd think that someone placing a big buck car for sale would use spellcheck and maybe proof-read their own ad.

13. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I kinda agree with ya, but his reserve isnt met. What the hell does he think its worth???

14. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

There seems to be some really nice workmanship in that but like was already said, it's not a full restoration and for that price........................I noticed the struts on the back door, those can't be original althoug they probably work better and I agree with RochetDaemon, that steering wheel just doesn't fit the car at all :mad:

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It might be a little high, but it is a woodie. They don't follow the same rules as rusty Chevy 4 doors. Never have and never will.

When I had mine and was getting quotes to redo the wood, it was going to cost $20k, and that was 15 years ago.

Barret Jackson has nothing to do with it.

It's a drag that woodies are so expensive, but that's just the way it is. All the bitching in the world won't change a thing.

16. I demand that he sell it to me at a price I consider reasonable.

17. jaybee

jaybee

Barret Jackson is just a vehicle. I agree that speculators are driving the prices out of line. Just look at how prices on E Body Mopars are completely ridiculous compared to other pony cars, which are already too high. But the cars have to be "perfect" to get those prices, these are people that aren't even willing to change a fuel filter on their "investments". The collectible car market has been through this before. As soon as the speculators agree that "the best place to have your money now" is stocks, or bonds, or real estate, or gold, or tulips, they'll ditch their cars in a mad dash to something else.

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Old Cars Price Guide is wrong and has been for years.. I would have given my left nut for a early bronco for the price they said it was worth. I don't know how they set prices but Old cars is just all over the place some wat too high and other too low.. A woody is just that a Woodie:D for most collectors. I wish they were cheaper because in my book they are cool! I know it's a ton of money but have you priced a nice new car or truck loaded and it's value drop monthly and worth shit in 10 years..........

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

In my opinion, that's crazy money. That steering wheel is awful. Maybe a shill bidder is involved? Hey, if the guy can get it more power to him. Sooner or later the market'll crash just like it did before.

E bodies are completely out of sight. They've always been a little high compared to other muscle cars, but they're ridic now.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Woody Body Coachwork: Has always been one of the most expensive "Hand Crafted" and hand built bodies/complete cars in any auto manufacturers line.a
    If any body really wants to see expensive, you should have seen the 80k + 32 steel 3w's that was at the LARS swap over the weekend THose were not hand built bodies but did require some hand crafting before any of the factory color was squited on.
    I happen to own a gennie 34 woody wagon. It was formerely owned by the likes of Lynn Williams aka (CW Moss),Pete Eastwood & Chris Kidd.
    This vehicle shows wear, but is (to me that is) worth over 85k, because I could never find another in this condition, I have owned this car 10 years and used to see it when I was 15-16 yrs old behind Pete & Jakes In T.C.
    I fell in love with then & I bought a long while later. Glad I bought it when it was cheaper.:D

21. arteee

arteee
    from Michigan

That engine is HUGE!!! 302 Litres...............

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting that about your '34, I always enjoy reading about a car someone spotted as a kid and later on bought it. The first ride I ever got in an Antique car was a 1912 Model T, took 20 years but it's in my garage now.:)

23. I think it's cheap compared to what it would cost to have that car built.

Sam.

24. rockabilly_bass

rockabilly_bass

that price is insane !!!! and the reserve isint even met . i smell bullshit .

25. Rolf

Rolf

Looks like a nice rare car...market is market, it's worth exactly what somebody want's to pay for it.

26. Whiners, snivelers, and nay-sayers, step away from the auction arena, real bidders have the floor.
    We can't play with the big dawgs, so let's nit-pick it to death and shake our heads in agreement with one another. I would love to have that car in my garage, but I can't afford it, plain and simple.
    You could have bought it for $200 bucks in 1950, but those days are gone. Barrett-Jackson has found the sucker secret and will play it to the end.

27. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I saw this car in person. Regardless of the real value it's a very nice car and will probably eventually bring whatever the seller is looking for.:rolleyes: I, being regular poorfolk, would never shuck out twice what my house cost for a car. But there is a lot of money out there. As the man said, chumpchange to some people. Maybe the bidder had a choice between a plastic 32 coupe or this one. Both come in about the same money.

28. Velour? VELOUR? There's no VELOUR in Hot Rodding!

29. Exactly...with a leather interior and heavy detailing everywhere, it's a 90K car all day long with people standing in line to give you a check. If properly restored (not like this one) 46-48 Ford woody starts at 110K and goes up from there. Don't believe the price guides, they are out of whack. Just in case anyone cares, the wood alone is about 40K to do from scratch by one of the old timers who know what they are doing...and about a 2 year wait.

30. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

the big problem is they see these ono of one mint six figure resto. cars go for some coin. and now everyone with a one of 1xx,xxx and a backyard paint job think they hit the lotto. my buddy got a 69 ss chevelle small block glde car nice but far from 100 point car and said"if your 68 yanko chevelle ( my dad bought new and has 300 miles on it)is worth alot mines worth more 'cause its a 69, better year"