Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar trans ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Aug 27, 2019.

1. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Is a stock 1955 Dodge Poly 270 internal or external balance?? If adapting a 727 trans behind the 270 what torque converter do you use, out of a 360 or a 318? I understand one has the butterfly weights on it for external balance motors, the other does not. Also do you want to go with the lock up or non lock up converter? ..Thanks. all answers much appreciated ....

2. squirrel

squirrel

The early engines were all internal balance, do not use a converter with a weight. The lockup/nonlockup thing, use a converter that matches the transmission. Look at the input shaft, it will tell you which you need.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Thanks Jim ... We have our choice for either lock or non lock up. Any preference???

4. squirrel

squirrel

Lock up converters were introduced in the 70s, I think the main reason was because they went to really long rear gears (like 2.29) for mileage, and the normal converters would slip at the low engine speeds.

I would go with non-lockup unless you are trying to build a MPG machine out of the old Dodge.

Hnstray likes this.

5. The 360 converter is externally balanced with weight. If you want a neutral balanced converter one from a 318/340 is the way to go.

6. George

George

I like QEC's 727 adaptor (73RR on the board) . 426 hemi flex plate.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. George

George

Have a dim recollection of having to match the T/C bolt holes on the 426 flexplate to the holes on the T/C.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well I had two OT Dodge pick ups with lock converters from the '80s. When the converters set sail for the island of never again it took out the trans both times. Rebuilt two 727 trans and never had another problem.