Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Moon Disc -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 26, 2019.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

sc01877387.jpg

Montana1, 3W JOHN, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  2. Real old photo of my Model A pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

3. Seadogs old 5 window. HRP

[​IMG]

4. I like 'em on the right car. I HATE them with whitewalls.

5. I hear you, white walls and moons just seem like two completely opposite styles, like a gasser 1950 Mercury. o_O HRP

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Friends had 'em on a gold '50 Hudson, 8.20s rear, 6.40s front, 2.5 coils cut in front.
    Looked like it just got off the salt!
    Bud had a cobalt blue '53 Stude, we dropped it (more in front) big-n-littles, Moon discs.
    Guys used to see us 'sneakin' down the street, and point..."Wow! Lookit that Stude!"
    My wife had an O.T. '69 VW fastback (type III) she put 7.60s on rear, dropped the front 'flopping' the upper torsion bar, front tires were 5.00s. Moon discs made the car 'belong' in front of the shop! Much admiration, all the rodders loved it...

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That truck had a nice stance, great rake. No chop? If any it wasn't much. Filled roof?

I like the look of the early pickups best of all, too bad about the leg room. But I still fit. Someday I assume my knees won't take it any longer.

I know this thread is about the Moon discs, sorry for the digression, just wanted to comment on that old truck. Back now to the thread topic....

I'm one of the guys that likes 'em, I think they look great on all the cars pictured here so far. Let's see more!

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. verde742

verde742

Truck above if it is a '31 came from factory with filled roof..

9. Bob F

Bob F

I still have a set of screw on's, never used. I bought them in 59 or 60, was going to put them on my model a with 15" merc wheels. I noticed a "fad" taking place in the HS parking lot was heel kicking Moon disks, thus never mounted :)

3W JOHN and Stogy like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had them on my Hot Rod Datsun pickup back when I was young and handsome.

11. Thank you sir. HRP

Yes it was a 31 although it had a 30 grille shell. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. I no more than get my preceding statement out of my mouth and I see this car posted on another thread, now I have to back peddle. :rolleyes:

I like it. HRP

[​IMG]

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I did not know that, thank you. Is this true of all 31 closed car Model A's

3W JOHN likes this.
  14. Yes., all the 1931 Ford A & AA cabs had the all steel top and the ribs inside were also steel, the cabs were manufactured by Budd and known as the 82-B. HRP

3W JOHN and Blues4U like this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

This is the style that made me fall in love with forty Fords.

16. williebill

williebill

Bought a set of screw-ons from Dean hisself about 1980 or so, put a set of 14" pop ons on my son's Mazda 626 he drove to HS. He thought they were cool, but took them off when he went to college. They're in a box somewhere.
    As others have said, right car...….

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, there you go....differences of opinion.....in the '60s lots of cars (at the drags and on the street) ran Moons with whitewalls.....whitewall slicks were quite common as well. I agree that a Bonneville streamliner/roadster/coupe/ sedan doesn't fit with whitewalls........but they have their place.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Do I date myself with the adage of, "Different strokes for different folks?" HRP

19. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Got them on my black '46 Chevy coupe. Most people love the way the car look.

20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Have a set on a later, silver Mini Cooper (JCW, hot rod version).
    Looks good, but I'd guess it's too new a car to post a picture.

Mike

21. Found the pics of the '35 before and after the Moon discs. Yes, the hideous '80s wheels were still under the discs. Out of sight...out of mind. Plus one of how the car looks now, without the discs or ugly wheels.

Attached Files:

22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I used to really like them & had them on several cars, but now they seem to have or give off an almost "Rock-a-Billy"/"ratrod" feel to them, if only because I see so many of them on those kinds of cars!! But : Different strokes for different folks, (& if I had a 'salt-flat car', I'd have them on!)

23. Never had them,:( but on the right car they look good.:cool: I think they would look good on my coupe but not on my roadster. What the hell do I know?
    Have at it Moose.:rolleyes: Prove me wrong.:p

IMG_4544 (5).JPG Spring! 002.JPG

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    3W JOHN, Hnstray, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  24. I have them on my 41 20190827_192546.jpg

41 GMC K-18, Jet96, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a set of the screw on type on the front of a black 56 BelAir sedan with no front bumper-stock height-rear wheels were black with a white pie and cheater slicks. Looked the part a ran hard too 12.0 street car. This was in the 80's, Nasty 406 sm blk brodix heads 4,56 posi and turbo 350 with a 2800 stall. Ran it at Sears Point many times. Went to sell it and some roadies for a rock group wanted it. Took em for a ride-scared the hell out of them. Said they would buy it if I put a milder motor in it. Put in a mild 350 with a stock turbo and away it went. Motor later went in a Camaro that was severly lightened-ran well in to the low 11's-strip only car. Found the full set of moon discs in the attic about 6-7 yrs ago a gave em away.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CT_Moon.jpg

CT_mooonV2.jpg

:rolleyes:... @moose Timing is everything I was Lurking...:D...So Lets see Chop and angle Roadster Posts and NOW 1 set of Moon Discs...;)

Hey Ct I Like it...Thanks for the caps @swade41

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Damn, it's gotten real hard to read any of your posts, what with the new avatar!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

28. @ct1932ford
    @Stogy did the coupe so I thought I'd give your roadster the look. Looks better than I thought.

Spring! 003.jpg

neverdun, 3W JOHN, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bought mine in 1982 from Deans cousin, at least that's what he told me.