Register now to get rid of these ads!

let's see some pics of 'lil' john butera's cars...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nor cal nic, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And how it looks today, But I still cant get anybody to give me any pics or info about the original car or owners
    100_2382.JPG 100_2589.JPG

2. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Funny, I was just talking about Lil' John the other day. I think the thing that impressed me the most about his work was, he had this ability to create things that had a natural, almost organic look while still being a functional mechanical thing. I remember seeing the Bank Americar dragster at Goodguys Indy back when it was still the orange Georgia Peach. I went to the pits to see it up close, just because I thought it was the nicest looking, well proportioned rail there. Only after talking to the then owner did I learn it was a Buttera car. I just said "That figures". The thing just looks right. He was a true metal artist.

kidcampbell71 and Hollywood-East like this.
  3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

My favorite was the '26 T sedan. I guess because I got a ride in it at Memphis in 1975. Plus, I thought the chassis and details were over-the-top!, revell-lil-john-butteras-26-t-street-rod.jpg especially at that time.

kidcampbell71, hrm2k and Deuces like this.
  4. Fogger

Fogger

I met John at Lions in the '60s. He was way beyond talented and my favorite of all his builds was the '33 Willys for the Mr. Gasket owner. Have wondered what happened to it after all the years.

kidcampbell71 and 32fenderless like this.
  5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I did the restoration on that one too

http://cacklefest.com/Bankamericar.shtml

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I have a picture somewhere, taken on the side of the highway, where we loaded up the Dixie Flyer/ BancAmericar chassis on the rooftop of Rick Stambaugh's truck for the trip west.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG Here it is with a small block and original 3 point cage, and a few after it was updated to race. The original cage went back west with the chassis

Rolleiflex and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. 32fenderless

32fenderless

It was redone by Pinkees Rod Shop and is currently for sale in the goodguys site. Barely recognizable from when it was white.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. rlsteel

rlsteel

You all need to give a little credit to the R in R and B.He was a craftsman like no other.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes now I remember . Chris was the sons name.:D I had a 1962 Chevy 2 at the time. If I recall that was a slick Chevy , but the paint would be too street Roddy for this site.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for the pics and history lesson fellow hambers. Love it.

12. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Every sport has a guy that changed everything. Li'l John was that guy.

13. 26Troadster

26Troadster

that was my fav of what i've seen as well. i bet i built that model at least a dozen times in my youth.

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Yep, me too!

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Credit where credit is due, it won the AMBR after a rework by Mike McKennett, I don't remember what all was changed, but it wasn't just the color.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This is the Typical Lil'John

[​IMG] In early May 2003, John Ewald took the car over to John Buttera for a damage assessment. We can't print what John said about his last FED, but the bottom line was it was well within the salvage range. John no longer has a shop but offered to do the "small stuff" and said he'd advise Bruce Dyda (who's next door to Lil John's buddy, Don Long) on the cars restoration.
    [​IMG]

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Great stuff!!!

18. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Really nice to see that current caretaker Karpo Murkijanian has returned the exposed rear 4 bar setup.
    At the risk of being accused of posting O.T. material the people who weren't there should know Lil' Johns' impact and he should always be kept in the conversation for his innovation.

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've not been a regular reader of car magazines for nearly 15 years so I may have missed some of the later articles about John Buttera but there are some pretty good storys to be read on the internet about John.
    There are some especially entertaining ones done by automotive journalists who were lucky enough to have been let into Johns' "inner sanctum", he definitely was involved in a wide range of projects, not just street rods.
    Whether you liked his personality or not or didn't care for some of the things that he was well known for, like Uncle Ronn said above, John Buttera had no equal when it came to innovation.

Uncle Ronn likes this.
  20. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

During the build of the silver roadster in the early '80's, Gray Baskerville conned Lil' John into a series of articles for Hot Rod about how he went about doing things. I've read and re-read all of it. Priceless little tidbits about his mind set, and a demonstration of his capabilities. He offered a lot of hope for guys with not a lot of dollars, 'cuz John did all his magic with very little money.

Uncle Ronn likes this.
  21. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

I agree.. His quips come to mind often for me.
    When I need to tackle somthing I've not attempted I always remember...
    "it was easy when I didn't know I couldn't do it."

pitman likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can't recall the exact details but I especially like hearing how he got a new CNC mill by only putting down 5k.
    Aparently John had a job that really needed to get done and he figured if it had to be repo'd it would be ok as long as the job was finished.

Uncle Ronn likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

John was asked how he'd gone about making a mirror out of (god forbid) billet aluminum.
    He said something to the effect "I just carve away everything that doesn't look like a mirror".

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

That came about when he decided to run INDY, he had money for the "TUB' and figured "BY RENTING" the CNC ,he could make the other stuff cheaper then to buy it.

John also had a side of him, that if he, for whatever reason you displeased him, your name went on the wall known as the "LEUKIMIA" list. your name on this list was his hope that you would just die

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s almost like karma if you believe in that but at the very least it’s ironic considering that he died at 67 after a battle with cancer, complications of a brain tumor.

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

One day Lil' , Tom Hanna, and Bob Critze came into the shop, I hardly recconized John. Spoke with him a few days before his passing