Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Outside Door Handle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rereaves, Aug 24, 2019.

1. rereaves

rereaves

What is the trick to install outside door handles on Model A Coupe. I know this is simple but guess what this simple ass can not install. I have a new set of Model A Door Handles. When I attempt to install the handle will not go far enough into the door. I have tried rotating the handle while installing and it is still about 1" from the door face. It appears to be hitting on door window channel however it is the same problem on both sides. So, I know this is a dumb question however like I said this dumb ass can not get the handle to fit, Help Please.

2. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

If you haven’t already, you have to turn the door handle down like you are trying to open the doors while simultaneously pushing the handle in. Use a flashlight and look through the opposite side (assuming your door panel is off). You’ll see that the square where the handle goes through into the door latch is tilted top to bottom. You have to turn the handle down and wiggle it while pushing it through. It may take a little forcing. Some pictures may be useful of where it’s hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window and milwscruffy like this.
  3. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

And even when you hold it right it still may
    not want to go in. Now get the old file out, and
    start squaring up the end of that repo door handle
    till it will just slide in.
    Rich

tb33anda3rd and milwscruffy like this.
  4. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks for the reply, I did as you suggested and it did go in further however it's still approximately 1" away from the door surface. I can use a round rod approximately the same size as the square and it will go through easy. I think it is time to start sanding etc. I hate to screw up a new set of handles but they are no good if they want fit. Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.

5. rereaves

rereaves

I think I'm at that point, hate to screw up a new set of handles but what the hell, no good unless they fit. If I rotate the handle while installing it will go in further however a long way from the door surface. Thanks for all your help and suggestion. Looking for file as I type.

osage orange likes this.
  6. Bugguts

Bugguts

Well....... did filing the square rod help? Inquiring minds want to know.

osage orange likes this.
  7. they do usually need to be filed down. the last set I did, the handles fit perfect once all the chrome plating was filed off. the shaft was made to the right size but they didn't compensate for the chrome.

osage orange likes this.
  8. 5window

5window

I'd suggest trying to find an original door handle and comparing where you need to make changes.

osage orange likes this.
  9. They're usually the opposite and don't want to come out :rolleyes:

osage orange likes this.
  10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Are the shafts too long? Might need to cut that down....

osage orange likes this.
  11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The re-pop handles I have purchased needed to be cut to the proper length. Check the length of the shaft on an original handle. About 1" too long sounds about what mine were.

osage orange likes this.
  12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If an old Ford job isn't urgent...save your money til October for Hershey, look in the classifieds on Ford barn, look up MAFCA and MARC and go to their shows. Buy from knowledgeable people or get used to throwing away half of what you buy!
    Repro parts for Model A's have been available since 1928, and some of them are staggeringly bad.
    Some repro parts dealers are better than others. There are often several different repros available and better dealers make better choices; some even give info on the problems in their catalogs if only poor repros are available.

Moriarity, Hotrodmyk and osage orange like this.
  13. rereaves

rereaves

To all those who tried to help with my door handle fit issue. I'm embarrassed that I ordered the wrong handles. I ordered the open can handles and of course I need closed car handles. The shaft on open car handles is much longer and will not fit closed car due to door glass track. Sooooooo, yes just another screw up but we have over come with the use of the old wallet. Again, thanks to all who tried to help, sorry for taking up your time.

kadillackid and Bugguts like this.