Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 38 Buick... starting to really think.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Nov 24, 2008.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think it may be to wide. I'm debating just using the stock suspension. though I may clip it.

2. Track is about 59", right? XJ6 is 60.2"
    Hmmm, not too far off.

How cool would a assdragger passing cars in the curves, or running Deals Gap? ;)

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

That reminds me - I've got a 39 Buick coupe body out back that went through a fire, years in the woods and kids with an axe that's destined to be a vintage stock car. Its really sad to see it there like that - I wish I could have seen her in her glory days.

4. JAWS

JAWS

Buick, buick, buick.....chanted with the ferver of the first animal house's "toga, toga, toga".......

Hnstray likes this.
  5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I got 58", and that 2" makes it a no go when you lower it.

6. indianmark

indianmark

I just found this post on a search and was wondering about any progress. I used to own this car and the previous owner had a Jag rear that he was going to use. With the right backspace wheels it should work. I have had 4 different Buick 38 coupes and still have one. Lots of style and I really like that slammed black one with the skirts.
    Let us know whats happening with your build.

zman likes this.
  7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's still waiting, though I have been steadily collecting parts. Hopefully will be working on it this winter... If the slammed one is the one I posted, it's a photoshop of what I am planning.

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I noticed this was an older thread,glad to hear it's still on the burner

9. sololobo

sololobo

Awesome coupe, the carmel like color on it looks cool, although the dark colors are richer and more sinister. I just love those light, cooler, easy to care for light hues. Good luck with the awesome rig. ~sololobo~

10. nali

nali

I have the same project .
    Here s a Gimp ( well ... Photoshop if you prefer . ) version of what I plan to do .
    Just ideas ...
    Maybe lowering the headlights also .
    The mags are Minilite :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

I chopped and lowered a picture of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    Hnstray likes this.
  12. nali

nali

Spud, use servimg, Photobucket is ..... shit :p
    Too bad, you know about those cars.

13. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

nali, sorry about that I moved them. How is your car comming along.
    Got them back on.

14. nali

nali

Nothing done yet :p
    My girl is gone with the kids, so working on the car makes no fun :p

15. 'k guys, some bitch en ideas here, but I still like the original lines of the '38 5 window...especially in a dark color, they just look bad-ass

16. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I just posted ours in the classifieds...

Attached Files:

belair likes this.
  17. indianmark

indianmark

Any updates on the 38 Special?

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's getting closer, got most of my barn done at this point. And as soon as I can get all the power straightened out it'll get moved in there to start the ball rolling. Though part of me wants to finish my International first. Either way not having to work on other peoples stuff every day is finally making we want to get this thing done. I have an awful lot of parts sitting and waiting for it. I'll update the thread I move her in there and start taking her apart.

19. Downtime

Downtime

Here's my '39 in the best side profile shot i could take. 4 more months and hoepfully she will be back on the road.

I think these cars really need a chop to look their best though. Thats for 2016.

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      193.6 KB
      Views:
  20. indianmark

indianmark

Had four 38's at one time. Down to one now. Do you need any parts?

Attached Files:

21. 2014 t-fest 036.jpg 2014 t-fest 037.jpg ...pretty old thread but I guess it's back up, here's a chopped one...

Hnstray likes this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

Rearching the wheelwells openings on these make a big difference. Either match the rim radius as the wheel sits in the opening, or match the rim radius on the front 3/4 and give the rear a tear drop shape

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

James D nailed where it is going, not sure about black. But I don't like most of the chops on these as the crown of the roof throws everything out of proportion when it comes down. And messing with the crown is a whole other story.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So I finally got it in the barn. A little worse for sitting for 11 years though. :( Been inventorying the parts I have for it. Trying to figure out the rear end first. And looking at the front. I need to keep it a roller for the time being at least. But she'll get stripped real soon. Hoping I can just have the body dipped, but we shall see.
    IMG_8121.jpg IMG_8123.jpg IMG_8124.jpg IMG_8125.jpg IMG_8126.jpg IMG_8127.jpg IMG_8142.jpg IMG_8143.jpg IMG_8144.jpg IMG_8145.jpg IMG_8146.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. NoSurf

NoSurf

Love it.

zman likes this.
  26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Got it all set up to remove the torque tube rear. Lathered all the bolts in PB Blaster so hopefully they cooperate tomorrow.

Attached Files:

NoSurf likes this.
  27. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

Many customs in recent times particularly ''35 -'36 Fords have been lengthened in the cowl to take away the abbreviated look the car had due to a forward placement of the cabin and long tail. I agree strenuously with the other poster not to chop or do anything radical. Rather work with the elegance this car had designed into it. Lower the headlights and fabricate running boards.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

IMG_8150.jpg IMG_8151.jpg

Torque tube rear is out. Now to transfer the spring perches and shock mounts to the other rear.

NoSurf likes this.
  30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

IMG_8155.JPG IMG_8156.JPG IMG_8157.JPG

So put the Jag wires on the rear I have to see if they would indeed work or not. The rear I have is an inch narrower than the stock one, but it looks like they may just fit. Hmmm.... Makes me think. And I seem to have a set of rotors on the shelf that may work as well. Need to source some bearings and maybe make some spacers.

NoSurf likes this.