Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Three lessons learned.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 26, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

#1 Flat black as in "hot rod black" ain't where its at with "today's" younger crowd when showing at weekend "car shows". Comments this week end, "nice car, it would look better if it was shiny". This happened more than I expected, but the old timers who understand "old school" got it.

#2 "Power parking" assholes still live and practice their art with skill.
    I pull in late. Spaces are on slant as is most large mall parking. Guy directs me into the end space. Next three or four spaces are open as I go to pay my fee.
    I'm parked like is normal, as far back as possible leaving just a little for where
    I'll "park my ass" for the day. I get back, a super nice AMX from Oregon has parked next door and has my 34 completely blocked from view, (on my left was the main drive which was active and taped off) by him half parking in the drive, setting up a small picnic in half the space behind his AMX. Hot shot and his "lady" act as if they own the mall, nod without saying a word and sit smugly downing their coffee and designer pastries. So I pull out right into the drive that is taped off and park there for the show.

#3 I don't do shows and haven't for a long time but this is a benefit each year by the local Lyons Club. I like supporting good causes, my 34 has not been out this year because of issues. It is different these days so much so that I'll not be doing much showing.

2. I like black primer because it is within my budget and my skill. I could care less what other folks think.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Your way of thinking is spot on.

TrailerTrashToo, trollst and Old wolf like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like black primer, flat black paint not so much.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the guys who back in leaving the nose out a little further out than the last guy. It shows how im”po”tant they are.... by the end of the row nobody can get by.

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tell them your not done yet and get off my lawn. ;)

jim snow, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

As my Dad always said" God loves assholes, just look at how many He made"

8. I avoid car shows, or at least having my car in one. The mentality escapes me and most that do attend are trophy whores. One guy I work with, he won't take his car 8 miles down the road to a cruise night. The car is almost for shows only. But a judged show where he blows the whole day, he's all over that.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Car shows are like any other human activity....they are not ‘perfect’, because the world is not perfect. Every endeavor has it share of a$$xxxxxs as well as nice, decent people.

If we avoid everything and everywhere because of the Aholes, we won’t go out much and it will be our loss. Be secure in yourself. Enjoy the good, ignore the not so good........the enjoyment you get is totally dependent on how YOU approach it.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

raven, Xman, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

#4 Stay away from car shows.

51504bat and upspirate like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My F100's black primered, God! A few YEARS now... LOL Some parts are darker, the hood I sanded and primered again, just to keep it 'covered'...but the last coat(s) have faded, and the hood has 'streaks' of the former red oxide, and the metallic blue it was painted with in the 'fifties, below that, the factory original pale yellow.
    These are 'nice, subtle streaks', front to rear, mainly the top and the hood.
    I need to primer the whole thing again, just no time. (too many hot rod projects and 3 digit days!)

So, I park it at Target store, walk inside to get CO2 for my soda stream machine.
    Walk outside, there's this mid-20s (?) 'dude' walking around it, shaking his head...I unlock the door, he runs up, and practically SCREAMS: "Oh, it's PERFECT! DON'T DARE paint it, this is the Rat Rod of the year!!!"
    I'm...stunned. "Thank you," I say, and fire it up. He's all over the 'experience', "Oh, big motor, too? This is IT!" ...and dances away.

3 days later, I'm at my favorite carnicera... buying some flap meat, more peppers, white onions, the real stuff. Some gold-chainer walks up, "When're you going to paint it?"
    I hold up the tinted plastic bags full of Mexican goodies...
    "Just as soon as I make these tacos!" Whirr-Vroom! I slip the rear tires just a little, so's to let him know it's not an old 'stocker' with Palamides' 2-piece 5 spokes...

Two radically different pairs of eyes. Here. RIGHT HERE, in River City. Imagine.

jnaki, belair, Budget36 and 5 others like this.
  13. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Meh....some people's kids. My interest lies in the old iron and the effort put into bringing them back to life....color, not so much. Actually, I like flat black and black primer. My last two projects involved building two Harley's, painted them both hot rod black and plan to do the same to my current jalopy project. I give zero f's about what someone else thinks about MY stuff.
    When it comes to dealing with inconsiderate people that effect me, I simply communicate my feelings on the issue and let the chips fall where they may....again, giving zero f's about their reasons and excuses. Works for me:p

trollst likes this.
  14. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

I usually get a lot of positive comments on my SEM hotrod black paint

15. trollst

trollst

When I was young, I rode bike, was vocal and combative. Over the years....less so, to the point of being too nice of a guy. Age will do that, but now I've taken it upon myself to express my opinion to those who wrong me or think they are better-more important than the rest of us. At any car show-cruise nite, we all think our car is the tits, and those who take two spots cause they have a better car are nothing more than ignorant fools.
    If they knew everybody walking by didn't share their opinion, maybe they'd smarten up, so, in the future, voice your opinion till they do smarten up, I do.

16. If you don't like shows, don't go. If you don't like people commenting on your car, don't go.
    Not near as much fun as whining about shows on the HAMB though.

Mick

LOST ANGEL, RMR&C, Hemi Joel and 7 others like this.
  17. Having a monkier like HOTRODPRIMER it will probably not come as a shock that I have and still am a fan of flat primers and paint, in recent years I discovered the Kirker Semi-Gloss paint that still gives the illusion of a low sheen finish but seem to hold up extremely well, excuse the momentary running off the track, but I get your thoughts that some don't get it and hust have to make a negitive comment, that's the world we live in.

Next, there have always been those that percieve themselves as entitled and common courtesy does not apply to them, power parker's are part of that elitist group.

Participating in a show that is hosted as a benefit for a charitable organization is a good thing on your part, don't let the idiots stop you from helping those individuals that you feel need your support. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  18. The world is full of dumbasses. Had one yeasteday. Stopped and asked if the Nomad was for sale. I didn't even try to educate hin that its a plane jane 150. Then he tells me he has a 55 hard top all fixed up and he would put a slick paint job on the Nomad if it was his. I didn't even respond other than not for sale. Just last month My grandsons and I renewed the black primer on the wagon. lots of little boy handprints and paint runs on the lower portion. Came out perfect.

hfh, raven, woodsnwater and 5 others like this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Larry, maybe the 'parking attendant' directed the AMX to park there? My idea of a car show is to park your car, then walk around looking at other cars, manufacturer displays, bumping into old friends, asking questions about cars, etc.
    I don't get this newer idea of car shows where people plop down in a chair with a cooler, set up camp behind their car and spend the entire day there. It's akin to going to the beach and sitting on a blanket all day without ever going in the water or walking the beach. If you sit with the car you're going to hear a mixture of compliments and digs. The digs usually come from wanna be's that don't work on cars. Who cares what they think.

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The reason you see that is......age! As we get older... we let people come to us.....instead of going to them! Maybe?

Bones

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I know what my car looks like. I haven't taken it to a show for 4 or 5 years at least. went to Goodguys which is 20 minutes from my house over the weekend and it stayed home. it would take me 1/2 hour just to get it out of the garage.

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

The only "car show" that I like, is the Cobo Hall and that other big one in California somewhere.

23. 2935ford

2935ford

Real simple for me.....I don't do shows or Cruise-ins! I do driving! :)

Texas Webb and upspirate like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

If I could always afford a nice paint job...I'd do it. But since I'm just a so-so paint sprayer (notice I din't say painter), I color a car/truck with what I think I can do the best. My first BB/CC is coming up when it cools down -me and Atwater Mike are in the same area and weather pattern-so I'm looking forward to 80* temps and hope the clear coat lays well.

Oh, the car has been in black primer (unsanded) for 6-7 months.

I don't make a judgment on anyone's paint/primer thing...what I can't stand...is those who take all the time to prep a car...paint it...sand it out and make it look like it was painted 70 years ago.

WTF...I'm near 58 years old, I don't recall ever seeing a fake aged paint job when I was growing up.

25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I hate everyone

26. belair

belair

^^^Strike three, aannnnnd you're out!

2bubbas, RiffRaffRoadster and Hnstray like this.
  27. Not sure exactly what you guys are calling power parkers. Care to enlighten me a bit???

Bandit Billy likes this.
  28. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Truth be told my car is a legit 10 footer maybe 5
    Cheap seat cover and carpet etc... but what I like most at cruises is the older guys who smile and seem to like it...oh and someone looked at it in the last month and smiled and said American Graffiti...the best thing anyone has ever said about ,y car....

29. upspirate

upspirate

Not American Graffiti....ZZ Top.
    Got that a lot back in the '80's when I had this car

scan0003-001.jpg

Dooley likes this.