Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC in a 40 Ford question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bob Bagley, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bob Bagley

Bob Bagley

Newby here but a long time reader of this forum. I am in the process of putting a SBC engine in my 40 coupe and have a question. The harmonic balancer sits right over the hole in the cross member that the front (V shaped) fender support bolts to. How do you guys work around this? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Also do you guys use the small (tri five) water pump? The front suspension is stock except for a new posey spring.

2. derpr

derpr

You have to trim the fender cross brace. And I use a short water pump Pre-68.
    What are you using as a transmission? Anything other then stock the wish bone needs to be split in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I suggest you do not use the stock " Y " fender mount, but use something like what is available from Bob Drake that is adjustable and mounts off the frame with attachment bolts on each inner fender panel.

Attached Files:

4. derpr

derpr

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the same as @geoford41
    upload_2019-8-26_11-3-29.png
    There is already a hole in the frame that just needed hogging out a bit and a nut welded to the back side since I am boxing that area.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Maybe Olscrounger will chime in on this ,as others have stated you scrap the slingshot brace and use some like the ones pictured above. I added gussets to mine. Anyway Tim saved me a huge amount of time and trouble when I was building mine you would be fortunate if you can get him to help advise you as well

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ............Tim (and wife) are the acknowledged masters when it comes to building '40 Fords.:)

OLSKOOL57 and LOU WELLS like this.