Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2019 Banger Thread Hot August Nights***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Binger- yes sir we are all booked and ready to go. Not sure if FabricatorJoe is coming or not, he's still recovering from Sturgis I think haha. I'm planning on driving the whole way this year. 532 miles! We'll see how it goes...
    That would be cool if you have someone looking for an o/d, let me know

Binger likes this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

532 Miles in a banger is a LONG way!!! That is awesome!! I am leaving from Cheyenne with a couple of friends on Thursday morning if you want to travel along with us from Cheyenne. It looked like Joe had a great time in the black hills. haha

Jet96 likes this.
  3. railcarmover

railcarmover

you definitely have a point there brother.

4. railcarmover

railcarmover

The mitchell isnt an overdrive like the borg warner,its a two speed transmission..direct and 26%,full synchro,short shift..the benefit of that is in traffic you have a full syncro shift to work with,splitting second gear is very handy.

Jet96 likes this.
  5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Some cool stuff I saw at the Monterey Historics.

1934 Aston Martin Mk II 1.5 Litre.jpg
    Not sure how much they "bang," but this 1934 Aston Martin Mk. II 1 1/2 Litre is a four-cylinder.

1915 Ford Ed Archer RAJO.jpg
    Ed Archer's 1915 Ford RAJO.

1911 Fiat S74.jpg
    George Wingard's 1911 Fiat S74, a 75-hp, 14-liter four-cylinder.

1932 Miller-Ford John Kerr.jpg
    John Kerr's 1932 Miller-Ford.

1926 Ford Board Tracker Rick Rawlins.jpg
    Rick Rawlins' 1926 Ford board-track racer (I never saw the hood open, sadly).

Dannerr, Old Dawg, kb9jlo and 4 others like this.
  6. Very cool pics from Monterey, John's '32 has been all over the place and he runs that car pretty hard too.
    The Board track car is just a thing of beauty, slim and light.
    Not too sure about the Rajo intake heater, it looks like the tubing starts and ends in the same place on the head, maybe just cannot see the other fittings.
    J

7. 97

John, there are two more lines going rearwards...under the firewall area near the intake of the carb. They could be fuel lines , but equally could be going to a control device . Still as you say it seems quite odd plumbing at the T fitting on the head. I have seen a similar setup, to control intake icing, the lever is inside and the actual tap under the floor so there is no hot water in the cockpit.

8. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Does anyone make a way to lower the cooling fan position on a Model A/B engine from the water pump (top of the engine) to somewhere more in the middle of the front of the engine? I'd like to lower my fan 6-7" from its current location.

GuyW likes this.
  9. walls

walls

Got a pic? Not sure there’s an easy option except electric.

Don’t know what you’re working with, but I put a T body on an A frame (A engine) once and thought about this for a while.
    The cowl and radiator lining up is a small problem.

I bought a radiator that was shortened 1-1/2”, shortened my fan blades just a bit, and raised the body about 1/2”.
    Not 6/7” but, worked well.

BeaverMatt likes this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I saw this fan set up on an idler pulley on a T Speedster with an A motor at the Dirt Drags. Hope the Picture helps.

Banger Fan.jpg

Jet96, Dannerr and BeaverMatt like this.
  11. railcarmover

railcarmover

That's a good example of how little the fan actually does,it basically moves air when the car isn't moving,its all its needed for.Electric fan is the solution,you just have to forgive yourself for not looking 'period correct',its easy to do if you have an alternator..the forgive part that is..

BeaverMatt likes this.
  12. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Thanks for the pic Binger! That's what I'm looking to do so I'll study this pic a lot!! I have a B motor in a T modified T chassis. I'm needing the fan down in about that position. Anyone else have pics or details to a solution similar to this?

Walls & railcarmover - I agree, electric would be easier and likely much better. Trying to avoid anything that modern however.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Dannerr likes this.
  13. railcarmover

railcarmover

It would take a little figuring but I bet you could fab up a fan pulley and bracket,cut the snout of a water pump and rig it off the timing cover bolts like the cat in the picture does..

BeaverMatt likes this.
  14. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

C79E59F3-4898-453E-A186-EDFA05C47D1F.jpeg 09A92FAC-3D23-43CF-9DEC-2B73CAB3B66E.jpeg 4F6DAACB-B478-45FD-B233-FAACC2BBA77A.jpeg Shared "Most Authentic Hotrod" honors with a friend's awesome Caddy powered '33 at our local show this weekend. Prize was neat ink by visiting lettering legend Russ Mowry!

Dannerr, winduptoy, Old Dawg and 4 others like this.
  15. JT1930

JT1930

Do you guys still grind brake shoes to fit perfectly in your drums or do you just run them. I got some new bonded material vs the woven that I’m running currently.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I put 1500 miles on mine a couple of years ago . sacramento ca. to boise id. all in all it was more fun than work . 18 mpg & no problems . even went to car show in boise

Dannerr, Jet96 and Binger like this.
  17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That is awesome! I have never driven a huge distance trip in my coupe. A little more than 150 to the Hill Climb is about it. with the reliability run the trip was about 500 miles total round trip. Planning on doing that again this year. A friend caught Banger fever and is excited to drive to the hill climb also. Less than 3 weeks away!!!

barrnone50 and Jet96 like this.
  18. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

most you need for long distances is a comfortable seat !!!!!!!!!!

Jet96 and Binger like this.
  20. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Quick question for the group. I am planning on installing a Webber carb and intake on my coupe and was wondering what fuel pressure is recommended for it? Any other tips for setting it up? I have all the linkage and will just have to change my throttle pedal assembly to a stock one and bolt it on so the install should go easy.

Dannerr likes this.
  21. brjnelson

brjnelson

I put Ted's floater kit in and cast iron drums and modern shoe material. The brake shop that relined my shoes arched the shoes to fit the drums. I am so happy with the brake set up, it has been in the car for 4 years now and still stops great.
    I am lucky there is a old school brake shop ( Brake Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis ) with a workshop that can bond linings for anything.
    Your hardest part will be finding a shop that can still do shoe arching

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I’m running 1-1/2 to 2 PSI on both of mine. A lot of guys install Weber’s and never check that the linkage is actually opening both butterflies. This takes some time to do. Also, the stock linkage doesn’t work very well as a return spring. I put an extra return spring on both cars.

Dannerr and Binger like this.
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

at first use it straight out of box . you may find the cable throttle will be happier . had mine for several years & love it .
    good luck …….…….

Binger likes this.
  24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the info fellas. I will let you know how it goes and I will post an update with a pic.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

*** yes I do . use my 4 1/2" grinder …………...

26. JT1930

JT1930

Good to know. I've seen someone put sticky back sand paper in the drum and arch the shoes that way also. I'm going to look into that floater kit

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

are you running mechanical brakes ? if so the floater kit will amaze you . make sure all is in good cond . they ill slide tires anytime ….……...

brjnelson and JT1930 like this.
  28. JT1930

JT1930

Yes mechanical

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you will love teds floater kit !

30. JT1930

JT1930

Thanks for the info. I plan on doing a complete overhaul on the brakes. New drums, shoes, all small parts and Ted's kit. The woven shoes on the car currently have not done me wrong yet but I'll keep rolling for the rest of this season

barrnone50 and brjnelson like this.