Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So Cal back in the day...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1stGrumpy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. 30panel

30panel

Taking credit My Panel truck, 1962 LeRoy Grannis Hermosa Beach. Now in Ventura an running better then ever. Still living the life.
    No Hijack intended.

Ron Funkhouser and 1stGrumpy like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The Long Beach Municipal Auditorium has been around for many years.

“In 1932, the 8000 seat Municipal Auditorium, surrounded on three sides by a lagoon, was constructed on the beach. In order to protect the auditorium from storms and coastal erosion, a horseshoe (rainbow) shaped breakwater was constructed around it. The half-circular Rainbow Pier, arching from Pine Avenue to Linden Avenue, surrounded the auditorium and the lagoon. The light poles on the horseshoe pier were painted a variety of colors, making it a colorful area for walking and driving. In the late 1940’s because of the sand filtering in through the rocks making the bay unusable, the city filled in the water to make more land.”

We grew up with my dad driving around the pier, going to the beach near the Linden Ave. end of the pier and watching the fireworks off of the Rainbow Pier for years. Before the long breakwater was built, my dad used to go to the western end of the pier for head high or taller consistent waves for body surfing as a teen. It was a fun thing to do back then. When we were teenagers, it was a romantic cruising spot, because it jutted out into the water, the lights on the pier and the Long Beach tall building skyline.

Despite the building of the long breakwater, some swells at certain angles were able to sneak inside of the rock barrier and create ridable waves on the eastern end of the circular pier. All of this time, there was a big lagoon surrounding the municipal auditorium.

Jnaki

When we were pre-teens and teenagers, the hot rod car shows started up inside of the Municipal Auditorium. The auditorium had been used for the local high school graduation ceremonies for years. Our high school was the only one that was contracted to use the auditorium for the ceremonies. All other high schools had large football stadiums for the services.

But, as the years rolled by, the problems of the usage, the old building structure was slowly deteriorating. So, the new Sports Arena was proposed and built adjacent to the Municipal Auditorium. The car shows immediately jumped to the new larger arena and left the smaller venue empty most of its last remaining years, except for a few concerts and shows.

upload_2019-5-8_16-52-40.png

Our high school graduating class in 1962 was the last class to graduate in the old auditorium. We were also the last class to have the graduation “All Night Party/Dance,” at the auditorium with the big, top forty, popular name bands playing all night.
    upload_2019-4-30_4-6-21.png
    The rest of the high school classes, after our 1962 class, were able to graduate in the new Sports Arena and have their “grad night parties” until everyone started going to Disneyland.

RIP: 1930-1975

The Municipal Auditorium was demolished in 1975 to make way for the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center. It is made up of the Exhibition Hall, the Arena, and the Performing Arts Center on the site of the old, Municipal Auditorium.
    upload_2019-4-30_4-6-59.png
    Currently, the Sports Arena is home to boating shows, car shows, rock concerts and the background for the pit stop of the local Gran Prix races.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    LBCD, 63fdsnr, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It took us almost a year to stop at Original Mike’s Restaurant and Concert Venue for some food and entertainment.
    upload_2019-5-20_5-45-29.png
    Every time we drove down Main St. in Santa Ana, we saw this fabulous looking place and that neat old, bright Yellow, Chevy Panel truck in the corner of the lot. Having stopped at the corner light many times, that Yellow Chevy panel truck sticks out like a sore thumb.

During the last weekend in April, 2019, we (wife, granddaughter and I) were in that same neighborhood again. It was a Sunday, around lunch time and usually things are happening at Original Mike’s. Sunday in Santa Ana is a show in itself as families and sightseers are all over the place, especially near the 4th Street refurbished downtown area, just a couple of blocks North of this restaurant.

As we finagled a parking spot in the huge lot, several “cruiser” cars were in the same lot for the restaurant. A band was playing in the outdoor venue with people enjoying the music while spending their lunch hour in a relaxed state. That was what we heard first as we walked into the area.

This historic brick building has been refurbished at different times in its history. This last restoration has created a monster on this busy city center corner. As we walked into the dining area (hall) we were inundated with approximately 20 plus large screen monitors on all of the surrounding walls. In the middle was a circular screen hanging from the ceiling, with at least 8 more projections playing .

We could still hear the music from the band, inside. The staff directed us to a different room with large booths. It was a nice respite for lunch. Someone opened the old windows and the booths were given the loudest music possible. They were right next to the large outdoor concert speakers blasting away.

So, we moved back to the huge dining hall, that toned down the outside music by closing the entrance door. Now, lunch was ordered and the conversation was palatable, despite the muffled music coming from the outside area.

Jnaki

The food was outstanding and the service was fast and efficient. That is how any restaurant should be. We discovered that the huge hall was the floor for the 2nd concert venue inside of the building. No one was playing at the time, so we were spared another loud, lunch time music.

Finally, we all went to the restroom and what a surprise, right next to the restroom hallway was the third concert venue inside of the building. There was a huge party going on and a band was playing along for the party goers. Was that music overlapping the others? Despite being inside of the building and near the original outdoor venue, the music did not overlap if the windows/doors were closed.

So, with the “cruiser” cars sitting in the outdoor parking lot, there were two out of three concert venues playing at the same time, while we were all eating fabulous food. This is a cool place to go, but bring your earplugs if you are sensitive to loud sounds. The conversation level was raised at least two levels from normal.

Overall, the venue was pretty eye opening and that yellow 1962 Chevy Panel Truck with the faded flame paint job was sitting quietly in the corner spot of the huge parking lot. It was welcoming patrons of fine food and music to this place. Sundays are a busy time in Santa Ana! (The OC)

It has been used for various hot rod/custom car shows over the years. The parking lot is perfect for any size show and festivities.
    upload_2019-5-20_5-46-29.png

Previous HAMB post:
    upload_2019-5-20_5-50-47.png
    Hello,

While driving around looking for the Santa Ana Courthouse Sheriff’s Center, we came across this 62 Chevy Panel Truck that has been the advertising display for Original Mike’s Restaurant and Concert Venue. For as long as we have been cruising around Santa Ana and the famous downtown area, this Chevy panel truck has been around. The paint is showing signs of daily outside weather wear, but the design on the flames around the license plate was pretty neat.
    upload_2019-5-20_5-51-20.png
    The front fenders received fine line, pinstriping flames with a slight shading inside of the flames. The wheels are another story. At one time, this Chevy was probably the delivery truck for the restaurant. But, if anyone has been to this place for the hot rod events, they have probably seen this yellow truck sitting in the corner of the parking lot. Drivers can’t help but to have their eye sight see this bright yellow truck while cruising down 1st Street.

Jnaki

It would take some time, but the truck is in need of an overhaul to make it as good as new, again. But, definitely needs some other wheels…Moon Discs perhaps? Or deep dish chrome rims with smoothie mini hubcaps? What about a lowered stance like this Chevy panel truck?
    upload_2019-5-20_5-51-56.png
    upload_2019-5-20_5-52-8.png
    upload_2019-5-20_5-52-24.png
    “Original Mike’s Restaurant resides in what was Santa Ana’s first Buick, horseless carriage auto dealership built in 1919. 100 South Main St was and still is the heart and soul of downtown Santa Ana. It was renovated after being abandoned for over twenty years.”
    upload_2019-5-20_5-53-6.png

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. 396/425

396/425

I’ll probably get crucified on here for saying this...but all the pictures of the old dragsters?...I’m sorry but screw those...give me cars in the parking lot.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

“Round round get around, I get around, yeah
    (Get around round round I get around, ooh-ooh)
    I get around From town to town
    (Get around round round I get around)…”

This red/white Ford "Skyliner" gets around the hot rod scene in So Cal. It has been seen in North Orange County, in the central part of the OC, down by the beach and the coastal areas, some times within weeks of each other. It does get driven. Last year, my wife noticed the convertible in the old home tour car show and thought I would like the hardtop convertible. Ford used the "Skyliner" name on many of its full-sized cars and convertibles through the 1950s and 1960s.

(1957)

“The Crown Victoria with its flashy chrome "basket handle" was no more, and the acrylic glass-roofed Crown Victoria Skyliner was replaced by a new model, THE RETRACTING-ROOF HARDTOP SKYLINER.”

When we first saw this model in the Ford Dealer in downtown Long Beach, back in early 1957, my dad was looking for an upgrade from his 1953 4 door Buick sedan. It was 4 years of driving that big Buick sedan and for his idea, it was time for a new car. We were impressed with the mechanics of the hard top being folded down into the rear trunk area. My mom instantly liked the car as a convertible, my brother and I were amazed at the design and my dad said it was not a Buick.

Jnaki
    The Skyliner folding hardtop idea must have some holding power. Today, most convertibles on modern cars have the updated design of a folding hardtop…a good idea, Ford!

So, all of these years later, up pops one of the cleanest, well kept Ford Skyliners in Orange County. This last month, I was able to shoot some photos of the intricate design and how it was finished.

APRIL 28, 2019 So Cal Central Orange County 10AM-4PM
    upload_2019-5-30_3-8-43.png
    upload_2019-5-30_3-8-55.png

Donut Derelicts HB May 18, 2019 5 AM

upload_2019-5-30_3-9-59.png

Ron Funkhouser, 65pacecar and 63fdsnr like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-19_3-54-47.png
    Hello,
    This event coming up on Sunday June 23, will be the 43rd edition of the show presented by the Forties Limited Club of Orange County. It is one of the favorite So Cal show and shine events around. Having owned two 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery vehicles, we took a liking to this event at the beginning and for several shows until we sold the 2nd 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.
    upload_2019-6-19_3-47-57.png (very similar in looks to my original Flathead,1940 Sedan Delivery from the teenage, high school days, except with the new 327/auto/A/C)

We felt badly that we sold the 2nd sedan delivery, but a new family situation called for some drastic action. We went to the first three shows in the Anaheim/Buena Park area, as we knew the area well. My wife grew up in Buena Park, worked in Anaheim and only moved to the coastal area when we got married.

This car show was like other car shows, with the old cars, hot rods, and some customs showing up for the displays. But, originally, it was limited to the 40s hot rods like the sponsor of the show. 40s Limited. It grew like other long lasting shows.

Jnaki

We were saddened to see our 1940 sedan delivery drive away from our house without one of us driving it. Stuff happens and we all adjust, not well, but adjust to the oncoming growth of the family history. It was fun going to see other cool looking 1940s Ford Coupes, Sedans, some other Sedan Deliveries, and one 40 Woody Wagon that was pristine, during those early shows.
    upload_2019-6-19_3-49-49.png
    The styles were from stock, to mild custom, to full on hot rod treatment with paint chrome, drive train and stance. The new-ish styles were prevalent for the times. Later, we no longer attended this event due to not having our last 1940 sedan delivery. These car shows are very competitive with others being put on all over So Cal. But, it is one of So Cal’s best shows.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. In spite of this thread going, so far off topic, I will post another picture of what it was originally intended to show...
    This '51/'52 Chevy is typical of what we were driving back in the early sixties...

66632970_10214330012418519_8867631204375986176_o.jpg

8. Damnit the gas is .25 cents.....:D

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

2D8729D5-D98A-43D6-A4D3-D2F7BFD62132.jpeg
    This was my driver in ‘58. It was five years old when I bought it.

10. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/so-cal-back-in-the-day.1017743/page-11#post-12269846

Hello,

For as long as I can remember, Belmont Shore has been associated with a cool cruisers, hot rods, fabulous places to eat, be seen and shop all rolled into one. The beach was/is a destination hang out area with one of the cleanest beach/shoreline areas around. During our high school teenage years, there were custom cars, hot rods and cruisers always going down Second Street (the main drag) for the extended Friday/Saturday night cruises.
    upload_2019-7-16_4-27-52.png
    This was our secondary cruise street/area/pizza destination in our hot rods and cruisers. The first area was/is our local, Bixby Knolls. The cruising scene played out as Bixby Knolls on Friday and Belmont Shore on Saturday day/nights. Besides the best pizza in So Cal since 1954, one other attraction was the small restaurant that allowed anyone to cook their own steaks (from the restaurant selection) on the grill. That was a treat like no other.

There was something in the air that drew hundreds of teenagers to this stretch of downtown every weekend. Belmont Shore was the epitome of a fabulous teenage hang out place (s) and a bevy of hot rods every Friday and Saturday night. This is So Cal. Those old hot rods, surf wagons and modified street cruisers were what we owned and drove as daily drivers.
    upload_2019-7-16_4-9-4.png
    The Belmont Shore 2nd street has its proximity to one of the only dark, lonely, usually empty at night, areas in So Cal might have been a factor. It was for us. As the extension of 2nd Street going East continues, hot rodders roll into and through the Seal Beach Naval Weapons area for some nighttime drags. This in itself was like ants being drawn to sugar. It was some sugar destination, for sure.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-7-16_4-9-53.png
    So, what is to become of the annual fall car show that shuts down a half mile of a city street for a hot rod/custom car show every September? We have attended our share of car shows and this one was one of So Cal’s best. What city closes traffic for 14 blocks and sets up hot rods in every available space along the street?

Besides, there is a huge boat harbor nearby at one end, and the large Long Beach downtown and harbor at the other end of the coastline. The street is perfect for an extended Saturday cruise from the OC to the Palos Verdes Peninsula and the South Bay.

upload_2019-7-16_4-10-34.png
    "Influence your automotive specialty friends, car clubs, and neighbors:

The Belmont Shore Business Association is asking for support from community sponsors for the 30th Annual Belmont Car Show.

The 30th Annual Belmont Shore Classic Car Show is set to roll into town this fall — but the Belmont Shore Business Association says it needs support from community sponsors to keep the event trucking.

“This is a Belmont Shore tradition, but we’re barely making enough to cover our costs, so we have to find sponsors.”

Security and road barricades to protect the more than 50,000 attendees that typically attend is one of the largest — and continually growing — expenses of the event, besides various city fees and other costs.

“We know we have to raise this money or reconsider this event going forward.”

The association wants to raise at least $20,000 in sponsorships in 2019 to offset costs that have risen more than $5,000 so far this year alone.

The association is reaching out to potential sponsors, offering perks at different donation levels between $500 and $5,000 for what is ONE OF THE LARGEST SINGLE-DAY CLASSIC CAR SHOWS ON THE WEST COAST. THE SHOW IS SET FOR SUNDAY, SEPT. 8.

Sponsorships are an excellent opportunity to get local businesses and other organizations — especially those in the auto industry — exposure. Plus, it’s an opportunity to support a 30 YEAR-old Long Beach tradition enjoyed."

From the recent Academy Awards Best Picture Category music theme…(and old guy song lists)

“The show must go on, yeah
    The show must go on
    I'll face it with a grin
    I'm never giving in
    On with the show…”

Ron Funkhouser and Irish Mike like this.
  11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you remember "Clancy's Hamburgers" on Manhattan Beach Blvd., just West of Hawthorne BLVD?[/QUOTE]
    HEY!----I lived on 177th st. also from 1958--1968, where I built my '32 roadster. 2009_07121962-----19680001.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680002.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680003.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680004.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680005.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680006.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680007.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680008.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680009.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680010.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680011.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680012.JPG 2009_07121962-----19680013.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Mike Goldman

Mike Goldman

HEY!----I lived on 177th st. also from 1958--1968, where I built my '32 roadster. View attachment 4354386 View attachment 4354387 View attachment 4354388 View attachment 4354389 View attachment 4354390 View attachment 4354391 View attachment 4354392 View attachment 4354393 View attachment 4354394 View attachment 4354395 View attachment 4354396 View attachment 4354397 View attachment 4354398 [/QUOTE]
    Hey D
    HEY!----I lived on 177th st. also from 1958--1968, where I built my '32 roadster. View attachment 4354386 View attachment 4354387 View attachment 4354388 View attachment 4354389 View attachment 4354390 View attachment 4354391 View attachment 4354392 View attachment 4354393 View attachment 4354394 View attachment 4354395 View attachment 4354396 View attachment 4354397 View attachment 4354398 View attachment 4354387 View attachment 4354388 View attachment 4354389 View attachment 4354390 View attachment 4354391 View attachment 4354392 View attachment 4354393 View attachment 4354394 View attachment 4354395 View attachment 4354396 View attachment 4354397 View attachment 4354398 [/QUOTE]

Hey Deuce Daddy Don , tried contacting you thru conversations. Can’t PM any more. I don’t think. Interested in the 32 blueprints. Thanks for your time.

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got your answer Mike.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

What was one of the favorite places for us Long Beach locals to hang out "back in the day" and try our best at a full power acceleration runs in their hot rods or family cars? The Cherry Avenue Drags… comes into play, nearby Lions Dragstrip also was very handy, the deserted, Terminal Island Freeway was also a full throttle experience, too.

But, the public place among the lonely oil pumpers (they looked like those bobbing ducks scooping up water) in the barren side of Signal Hill (adjacent and surrounded by Long Beach) was the place to find out if your car actually had power, real power.

Obispo and Hill Streets were on the Eastern side of the tall hill, called Signal Hill. It looks toward the Northeast, East and Southeast for some great sunrises and views, day or night. Since the location is in a relatively barren area with only oil pumpers doing their thing, it was a nice place to test our cars. Shell Hill is well known for its annual (no more) gathering of the Model T cars for full acceleration runs up this steep hill from a dead start.
    upload_2019-8-5_3-29-55.png
    The annual event was a big gathering of Model T cars and people. They came from all over to watch and participate in this closed road full throttle race. (race against time and the steep hill) It is hard to imagine that when the race was happening, so many people would line both sides, watch, and cheer for their favorites. They cheered for their favorites and those Model T cars that just did not have it to make the full throttle runs, uphill.

Jnaki

There were many times that our hot rods and cruisers would have the power to go up the hill at full throttle. But, when loaded down with our friends, that was another story. The Chevy/Ford/Pontiac OHV V8s did not have many problems, while my Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery took forever to get up that steep hill. If there were additional teenagers inside, then it was a second gear and sometimes a first gear situation near the top. Weight has its disadvantages for an under powered sedan delivery.

It was the feeling of going (and facing that blank air on top of the hill) up that left most speechless. The car looked and felt like it was going to go over the edge of the world, at the top. It was a fun place… Yes, the girls usually screamed, as the top of the hill was fast approaching, with “nothing but air” in sight.

Bill Stroppe’s complex was at the top of the hill overlooking the course and the panorama view of the OC and the ocean. Quotes from Signal Hill and Stroppe’s shop:

“There are a lot of funny stories there. Like catching big air off of the adjacent 'Shell Hill' in 3rd gear. And dual quad cammer Cobras smoking the tires while pulling gears going up this steep grade hill. Pretty cool and funny. The hill has Caution Steep Grade signs.”

“When you look at Hill Street, North of the shops, Google has an odd aspect, it makes a huge hill look flat I guess. Hill Street has this huge grade. The steepest you can find for many many miles. It is much steeper than you can legally build today the Engineers said. They have held the Model T Hill climb race there for decades. Many Ts might only make it 2/3rds the way up. That was fun, Frontenacs and Millers and more. The shop was on top of that hill basically. So you could brake test down it, and ping test up it. Often while smoking the tires at times...funny.”

“And since we were adjacent to the hill top oil town of Signal Hill, that is West and East of these pictures, which was also undeveloped , and I think about 9 square miles, Stroppe also did all of their police cars. They were faster afterward! We kind of had this understanding. The entire area was more or less wide open for testing. On road, off road, open exhaust, blowing stop signs at speed, side by side drags, no problem. There was nobody up there then. And if you saw a cop they would say things like, Boy this squad car runs good, or, what are you tuning today ? Good luck in the race, etc.. No tickets, ever.”

upload_2019-8-5_3-30-40.png upload_2019-8-5_3-30-57.png
    Then the speed freak, skateboarders took over until the street was closed to all types of racing.
    upload_2019-8-5_3-32-25.png
    They added a center divider with a garden landscaping in it. The old continuous hill was cut down, about two thirds of the way up. A level intersection was installed, so folks can turn the corner easier to get into their fancy condos that now cover the hillside. You can't see the top of the hill because it is now farther away and hidden behind the first hump at the new intersection. The hill climb races began in 1957 and the last one was in 1976.

Hamtown Al, lumpy 63, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

What a better way to showcase what kinds of hot rods and cruisers we all drove back in the early days of So Cal. Hot rods/cruisers in a historic home setting fits the bill. This type of presentation never gets old.

When visiting historic homes from back in the 50s-60s era, one anticipates what kind of cars were around back then and how they were/weren’t popular. In our days, we saw a lot of hot rods in our Bixby Knolls area. But, as we expanded our So Cal coverage and cruising areas, we did see other cars on the street.

At this home tour/car show, we saw one very pristine 1957 Pontiac two door hardtop sedan sitting along the closed, car show road in the neighborhood. It stood out as an excellent example of cars of the era.
    upload_2019-8-23_3-27-26.png Central OC home tour and car show…
    The Pontiac Chieftian should have been the fastest street/strip car during this time. But, for some reason, despite the larger motor and more horsepower, the 57 Chevy Bel airs outsold and out ran these Pontiac cars, back then.

“The first "Tri-Power" Pontiac engines were offered. Once again the Pontiac V8 was enlarged. The 1957 model year saw the engine increase to 347 cu. in. with horsepower increasing to 290 for the Chieftain models. This generation didn't experience the popularity as much as the Chevrolet Tri-Five during the same years, even though the models were very similar.”

“283 cu. In. Chevy vs 347 cu. In. Pontiac 283 hp Chevy vs 290 hp Pontiac… 1 horsepower per cubic inch wins…”

The cubic inches and power rating was there, but the customers were not.

In our Bixby Knolls neighborhood and most of our cruising days all over So Cal, there were tons of 1957 Chevy Bel Air sedans. But, not one 1957 Pontiac. At the time, our group had more different, 54-58 Chevy sedans than any other car make. I had a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, but that was the odd ball driver. Sadly enough, there weren’t any 1957 Fuel Injected Chevy sedans rolling around. There were plenty of single 4 barrel and dual quad 283s cruising, but no fuel injection, except on a Corvette.

Jnaki

In looking at this pristine 1957 Pontiac, there was no reason to not have one back then, other than it was a Pontiac, not a Chevy.

On a recent HAMB thread on Forty Ford Day show and shine, @Blues4U posted this same 57 Pontiac sitting pretty, at the all day show. It is/was one nice Pontiac that would certainly look good in our two car garage. In So Cal, it gets around…round, round…get around…

upload_2019-8-23_3-28-37.png June 2019 Anaheim, CA

Blues4U and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

jnaki -

"OLD" original..."back in the day" pictures please..! Stop all this modern day stuff. It's seen everywhere else in this forum.

Mike

1stGrumpy likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Thank you for your comments. But, since we did not have cameras strapped to our wrists or carry around a cell phone back in those early years, that would be hard pressed to show what we actually did. The only way to portray what cars we saw, drove, built, or enjoyed from back in those teenage days is to find what others have done to their cars, today.

I am sure those that we have photographed at various places in So Cal, are representative of what we drove and used during our happy days as teens or twenty somethings. Those car photos fit into the timeline and rules of the HAMB. There are so many old magazine photos that everyone sees from their collections that people copy and paste. That is fine, too. They aren't always exactly how or what we drove. This gives others a different way to look at So Cal teens in their element, through the cars we drove.

But, we did not all drive fender-less roadsters and lowered custom cars on a daily basis. For us, it was sedans, station wagons, sedan deliveries, family cars, and modified coupes for daily drivers. It was a hard time to showcase our own photos as we did not have access to 35mm film cameras until well past the HAMB 1965 or earlier time period. Some had old "Brownie Cameras", but those photos are super rare for everyone.

So Cal is a bustling place these days. The owners of those cars have recreated as how they (owners) used to drive or cruise around in their time line. We all like how they turned out. The ones that are in this thread come from So Cal and nowhere else.

Jnaki
    The various posts here on this thread still follow the question of "So Cal Back In the Day." It is how we grew up driving and building to the best of what we had (or wish we had) when we saw those hot rods or cruisers. The modern digital camera still captures the feeling of those good old days in So Cal. Tomato, Tomato...

I wish I had a camera along with me during those hectic teenage years. Those would have been exactly the ones we drove on a daily basis. The theme of "true to the details" of those cars...gone, except in the memories and the cars we see today. It is the owner's versions of what they used to drive... not from magazines or the copies off of the internet.

18. jnaki, they may follow your idea of what this thread was about but it does not follow mine! When I first posted this thread I asked for the readers to post a description and/or pictures of what THEY drove back in the day. Not what someone else drove or what we wished we drove or what we ate or where we went. I have attempted to steer this thread back on track several times only to have you and others continue to hijack the thread! Thank you Mike VV for pointing this out, at least jnaki responded to your post, he never has mine. The polite thing to do would be for you (jnaki) to start your own thread about whatever it is you want to talk about!

19. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Well his name is First Grumpy

Irish Mike and Blues4U like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 1,
    Your thread is a good one for So Cal hot rod enthusiasts. There are a lot of them floating around in So Cal. Also, there are a lot of them that have moved on to other places. The title is So Cal back in the day. You chose a good one and that encompasses a lot of things in So Cal. Most of the posts have been very selective as the old photos that you have been wanting have been used and new old ones are hard to get.

So Cal is a big area and there are lots of stories to tell and remember. The cars were all kinds and the events from a long time ago still happen. But, before we all forget, some need to be remembered in the light that we saw. We all realize So Cal is a general term that in most people's minds, goes from San Diego past Santa Barbara. It is also bordered by the big mountains to the north east. So, sometimes the So Cal thread goes beyond that, too. It is a big area with a long history in hot rods and drag racing.

If all of the photos and stories stopped, we would all be missing on some hot rod history that was not shown in the myriad of magazines that have come and gone over the years. Even then, those old mags did show a portion of the hot rod scene. I remember those editors being very strict about what hot rod and photos would be accepted into those valuable pages. The editors made sure that most hot rods were the ones they liked and that those cars portrayed what they thought was So Cal.

Sometimes they hit the spot, and other times, it showed stuff that was way beyond the normal teenager/20 something doing his/her backyard discoveries and builds. There are plenty of people that have a ton of memories of the So Cal scene in and around San Diego to Malibu and to the inland areas. But, in all fairness to those that live farther out, it is a big area, but the information just is hard to find or validate.

Jnaki
    I am doing the same thing that was originally posted and part of those hot rods being used were at various cruising scenes, drag strips, the beaches and night spots. Those places were central to all of us here in So Cal and also, elsewhere in the USA. It is part of the culture of hot rods and being teenagers/20 somethings. The culture of hot rods as a group has changed over the years, but those who were in the hot spots during the high school era of the 50-60s still remember places as well as hot rods. It is important to showcase our old hot rods, but there are so many old photos and then it runs out.

Every place has many different memories and things that some did, that others may not have done. So, it sparks those early times in So Cal when anyone writes about a hot rod or photo of the cruising grounds that made up the scene. So Cal is different than Arizona or North Carolina, but the memories of both places sparks many people to contribute their portion of the hot rod scene.

This is part of the overall Southern California culture from people that are still here after all of those years past. We do what we can to keep the spirit alive for all to see and understand.

Papas32 and choffman41 like this.
  21. He still doesn't get it!

22. LBCD

LBCD

Grumpy, sorry I contributed a bunch of off topic stuff on this thread and I'm probably guilty of not reading the very first post as I started following around page 3. I removed a bunch of them.

32Stoker and 1stGrumpy like this.
  23. 32Stoker

32Stoker

1stGrumpy, I feel your pain. Some guys simply MUST hear themselves talk regardless of thread topic/rules. And in Jnacki’s case...A LOT! Holy shit dude, this is a car guy social site, not “War & Peace”! Brevity is your friend. Some respect paid to the OP wouldn’t hurt you either...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    1stGrumpy likes this.
  24. Yeah, I deleted my 5 posts too. I feel like such a heel. What was I thinking?

LBCD and 32Stoker like this.
  25. I enjoy reading posts from guys who actually lived locally and was an inclusive part of the era the OP asked about....."I have read many questions and/or arguments about what the cars looked like in Southern California in the fifties and sixties".... If you don't like what someone posted, just scroll by, it's quite simple.....

jnaki likes this.
  26. Happy birthday, First Grumpy!!!:)

27. Thank you 40two, much appreciated...

28. I ain't looking to get in a pissing match over this but..... if it were someone else's post, I would agree with you but since I am the OP I don't see why I am the one that needs to "just scroll by" as you say. Perhaps the ones hijacking the thread need to post their off topic comments in their own thread, "it's quite simple"!

Irish Mike and 32Stoker like this.
  29. You killed a good thread…