Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Yes, it was an informative meeting. I am hoping that the situation at the end of the meeting was an isolated incident and nothing serious.

UnkkaBobby and milwscruffy like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Care to explain why you said "the end of the meeting sucked though"

46international likes this.
  3. X2

MMM1693 and 46international like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

OK, hopefully the guy that suffered the medical issue will be OK! I don't think we need to know anymore details about that, just wondered if one of those in attendance had done something he shouldn't have.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

It was great meeting you guys and I am sure we will ALL get through this. Gary

UnkkaBobby and milwscruffy like this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

No drama, he was just dehydrated.........talked to him this am, and he is fine!

7. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

My thanks go out to everyone in attendance. I'll echo the sentiment that it was a pleasure to meet all the attendees and form/forge a collective group of folks acting on the injustices Wisconsin Street Rodders are currently up against. With a year or better left before my own car will be completed I'm so humbled to see these efforts, efforts that'll affect my ability to title when that time comes. Thank you everyone!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Cool, glad he's okay. I think the root beer got to him !

oldcootnco and loudbang like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

I guess we can all agree that dropping Brad’s fender citation and then pulling his title and registration right after the fender citation was dropped, (at the request of the Wisconsin State Patrol), seems like at best, a slightly underhanded approach. Then the Wisconsin State Patrol saying he needs amoung other things, FENDERS to get HIS title and registration back, is in OUR opinion, a very questionable thing for the Wisconsin State Patrol to do. The fender citation should have gone before a Judge..... and this miss-interpretation bs could have been resolved with the proper interpretation of the fender laws as they were originally written in Trans 305. There are several individuals (private and retired DOT employees), that were a part of drafting Trans 305 that hopefully will at some point be called into testify, as to the spirit of the wording, should things get that far.
    PLEASE call your WISCONSIN LEGISLATORS and keep this issue on their agenda!
    -THANKS, “a boner”

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Curt R invited me to attend , but I am over 3 hours away and the job site I am on is on mandatory 10 hour days plus Sat. Just could not do it. Hopefully you guys will make progress on this situation and keep us informed. Had to shake my head Sunday, was pulling out of Menards in Baraboo and four vintage farm tractors cruised by heading right down Hwy 12. I know the Steam and Gas show was last weekend. But that show is on the other side of Baraboo going towards the Dells, a long ass cruise! I know farm equipment is exempt but tractor tires kick up the same stones fender less 32 fords do! Larry

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  11. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Great to hear he is in good shape, it was a little worry some. Gary

milwscruffy and loudbang like this.
  12. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

Glad to here the good news. The meeting was very informative and I agree Brad got the "fickle finger of fate" award.

13. yachtsmanbill

yachtsmanbill

Just a little background here.. Ive been here since about 2012, kinda lurking, but still trying to observe. Ive had a few non fendered/hooded Model T Ford speedsters. old Harley bobbers, a 1972 GSX 455 Buick, and as of late, my newest is a 1964 Buick Special 2 door post. This guy came from gramma, with a V6 and a 3 on the tree. Its now sports a built 455 (actually 465 CI) Buick engine a Super T-10 4 speed. Fun to drive.
    As it sits right now, I run an Edelhozer carb with 1 inch tall adapter to make up to my iron stock 455 Q-jet manifold. A custom air cleaner finishes it off. HOWEVER, its too tall to install a hood. Its getting a stock Q-jet this week and that will rectify the situation.
    Yesterday we were driving around town and got stopped by a Wis. State Patrol motorcycle cop and issued a warning ticket. Hmmm. We had a lengthy chat about the entire issue of this thred. He's probably gonna read this today so Ill have to say HI!
    Absolutely a gentleman, he informed me that the car was not in compliance with it not having a hood. The warning would suffice and to get a hood on it when I paint it this winter. I promised him I would comply. He's local to me in Two Rivers, Wi. and its a small town. Im sure to see him again and sure dont want trouble.
    I just wanted to say that the cops have the last (albeit not final) word on the violation. The rat-rod guys do it, the street rod guys do it , and I get the paper work! The cop also mentioned he was probably the only WSP officer to write guys up.
    This is merely food for thought. I cant plead ignorance of the law any more. Now I know for sure. Just not looking for trouble. BTW... I pay for TWO personalized plate for these guys at 100.00 per year PLUS for each! Bill in TR

z127.jpg

z15.jpg

z3.jpg

z44.jpg

egads likes this.
  14. Trans 305.19 Doors, hoods, locks, latches and door handles.
    (1) Every door, hood and trunk lid of a motor vehicle shall be maintained in proper working condition and shall be equipped with sufficient hinges and latches so it can be opened and securely closed.
    (2) 
    (a) Every motor vehicle, except those manufactured with removable doors or without doors, shall be equipped with doors. Open top designed vehicles are not required to have operating doors when the vehicle is operated without a top.
    (b) The hood or engine of a vehicle shall have no protrusions that will restrict the driver's view by extending more than 3 inches above a line that extends from the center of the hood at the base of the windshield, forward and parallel with the highway.
    I'll let you read it and interpret it's meaning for yourself. You only got a warning, cop was cool and be happy with that.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  15. Well now you have got a known ticket writing LEO,s attention. and in all probability he will read this thread. Think about it? those Leos are all brothers. One gets killed and a thousand who never heard of him before show up at his funeral. So that's the can of worms now opened. You betcha they will use their influence on the Legislature.

16. yachtsmanbill

yachtsmanbill

I was thinking the same thing. So now these equipment standards mean you can shave door handles, or French lights and sheet metal? We hopped out of the car as I was in my pals driveway (he was out of town) just in the event that the guy wanted to be a dack. Wasnt the case at all, but in the material above, guys have been subjected to roadside safety inspections and cited for empty or no windshield washer(S) no reservoirs and other semi ridiculous stuff.
    Ive had this '64 since last December, and re-done the entire suspension system including ALL new brakes and lines, shocks, springs, ball joints etc etc and the new motor and trans. Safety on these old crates is paramount!
    So I dont run a hood, but the fan is fulley shrouded (as per a 1967 style shroud), so whats the worst that could happen? maybe a distributor cap explode (unlikely). LOL.
    Soon enough they are gonna require a build sheet to authenticate original equipment. Bill

17. BJR

BJR

So anyone having a custom with electric doors with the outside handles removed is in violation unless they buy special plates.

(4) 
    (a) All door handles on every motor vehicle shall be maintained in proper working order.
    (b) Except as provided in subs. (5) and (6), no person may operate, or allow to be operated, on a highway a motor vehicle on which the door handles installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle have been disabled, removed or made inoperative. This paragraph does not apply to replica or street modified vehicles.

18. A Boner

A Boner

Yes, seems to me it is saying, "IF you have a hood, make sure you can open it to access the mechanicals under the hood, and make sure it is secure when closed so it doesn't fly open at speed.
    Take it to court.....see what the experts say.

I'll donate $20 towards your lawyer......I'm sure more would donate too!

Blues4U likes this.
  19. Having drove semi truck for many decades. I tend to view all LEOS as nothing more than Revenue agents for the courts. Highway men with badges looking for their next victim. They don't produce anything. Just Parasites. I got to where I was nocturnal and drove only at nite when they where home in their lairs. There are so many traffic laws everyone breaks the law everytime they drive. A competent DOT can find a violation for a vehicle defect on a brand new 18 wheeler. They go to school to learn how to write revenue generating tickets.

20. What Expert? the judge who makes his money from collection of fines? You are not paying attention. I told you before. In every state you have a elected Attorney General. When you need any law clarified he is top dog above the Leo's Courts Ect.. You get your local state representative to Request the Attorney Generals opinion. We had some confusion here about if it was Legal here to open carry & concealed carry without a permit. a request was made and our attorney General clarified the matter. We can open carry or conceal carry without any permit. Its just that simple. Get a member of the legislature to Request you state Attorney General to issue a written opinion.

21. A Boner

A Boner

I like the cartoon with the guy looking through binoculars towards the horizon.....asking, "where is this freedom everyone talks about"?

Blues4U likes this.
  22. What you need try to understand is that whatever society you live in. Right or Wrong -Good or Bad- Like it or lump it. If you do not stay within the acceptable parameters of Consent required by the Mob Rule Majority of your society . They will attempt to punish you and try and force you to not do that no more times. So you must conform or move to where whatever taboo activity you wish to do is acceptable. You are FREE to make the latter decision.

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Playing Devils advocate here. So you get this hood ticket to court, Officer has stated the stature { trans305.19} that he is interpreting. Judge reviews stature, can you show documentation that a 1964 Buick was ever produced and sold to the general public with out a hood or that it was listed as optional equipment? If not the Judge could and most likely would come to the QPINION that car was produced with a hood and now it does not have one, so you have failed to maintain the hood in good working order. So who do you think the Judge will side with? Just my thoughts and questions on the how things are being interpreted . I have learned many times over my 64 years that just because nobody told you that you could not do something doesn't mean you can. Also I have a friend with a once mint hood and fan shroud from his 70 Nova SS hanging on the wall from when the fan blade came apart while idling at a stop light down town with a group of people including kids standing at the cross walk. It can happen . Larry

Old wolf likes this.
  24. yachtsmanbill

yachtsmanbill

I hafta agree OB51M. My luck would be some nag texting, tripping over the curb and getting some nappy hair and baggy clothes caught in my new alternator. I am fully in favor of a hood on my 64 and disputing it at all. I got this car for Christmas last and have made it thus far including all new suspension and brakes. Its a lot like the old helmet debate (ABATE member since 1971)
    Let Those Who Ride Decide.

I am going to follow this (these) threds and possibly get involved with my local Gov.rep> Old cars and shows generate a ton of summer time income for businesses and winter time projects to help keep the drunks off the roads.

Theres no way a judge would let this slide. I was held dead to rights. I played ignorant of the fact but in fact had knowledge. ws

Here to there and all points in between...

00000_lVTVCNl07IO_1200x900.jpg

Attached Files:

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

yachtman. Been at this hot rod and custom car and Harley thing since 71 myself. I want to see Brad and the others cruise their cars, I see no harm in a guy cruising a 32 fenderless hot rod on a Saturday afternoon. Like I said in an early post I run into tractors and dump trucks on the road all the time and they throw up a lot more crap than any hot rod I've seen. But I still think the statures are vague and open to lots of different interpretation. I like your Buick it reminds of a buddy in high school back in 71, but his came from his Aunt! lol Larry

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy and milwscruffy like this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks, Mark!
    Keep the snowball rolling......we'll beat this crap back to 1996.

wingnutz, irishsteve and milwscruffy like this.
  28. on August 21, a meeting was held with many of the Wisconsin residents who have posted on any of the three HAMB threads about the Wisconsin issues. Driving distance and previous plans prevented some from attending. Huge thanks to all.

Much discussion and many suggestions were heard. Interest to have our concerns heard among our Legislators was primary and will be pursued. Follow up plans to contact Legislators are happening.

On August 16, the Racine, Wis State Rep. Bob Wittke held a meeting just for his hot rod constituents. He stated that numerous Wisconsin Legislators have been contacted about our issues. He had met with WISDMV and WSP prior to the Aug 16 meeting. The group presented him with their concerns and he will take their concerns to WISDOT and get back to the group. Thanks to the Racine crew for their efforts to get the Rep's attention.

Contacting the Legislators is just starting to work but we need more Legislators to follow the example set by Rep. Wittke. Keep contacting your Legislator for a sit down meeting specifically to hear our concerns.

Curt R

29. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

30. scoop

scoop

Mississippi Mayhem is in two weeks.Hopefully I can get in and out of WI without any trouble.