Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hey Coilover thanx for the comments and the info.id not have thought of that I bought a new manifold but sold the old low profile one straight away.maybe if I had the old one lying around to look at id have done something similar but now I have your new info ill be approaching things in a different way in the future.thanx for sharing.i love 30s autos and my intention has allways been to keep all the class quaint features of that era.the project looks like a 39 or 40 chevy to me.cant be sure.any picture of the dash in it .go n eiri an bothair leat.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

toe boards cowl and window winder nuts 033.JPG toe boards cowl and window winder nuts 036.JPG toe boards cowl and window winder nuts 034.JPG toe boards cowl and window winder nuts 035.JPG cameras back.been busy ,cutting cards for the side of the cowl.ill be covering them with black vinyl and insulating the backs.wired the taillights /indicators keeping the wiring out of sight with the connections under the floorboard.working on fitting the windscreen winder .getting the winder shaft central in the dash opening..decided to cut some captive nuts that cant rotate in the dash but will allow me to adjust them up/down ,left right.one end is 1" diameter the other 3/4 at 1 5/8 centres.the 3/4 end is drilled and tapped 1/4 unc.cut from 8mm alloy.1 done 1 to do.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

1 hr of hacksawing ,filing and sanding later 1 captive windscreen winder dash nut.wheres the etch primer.1" end is a slightly loose fit in the back of the dash C section.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

now in paint ready to go. paint on the winder nut 001.JPG

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I had a few issues with the dash.first the grommet around the winder was hitting the winder mechanism.solution I pared the grommet with a Stanley knife to give a little more clearance that worked out.also had a tie wrap holding some wire to the ignition switch get in the way rerouted that wire and cut the tie wrap.shiming the mounting bolts on the dash will help me steer the winder central in the hole in the dash.took a bit of looking and learning but ive got it cracked.i think . the captive nuts are working great allowing fine adjustments to be made with 1 hand.when the adjustments are finalised I will add locknuts to hold the position of the winder .plan to insulate the back of the dash when I get the next batch.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

window winder has slotted mounting left/right adjustment.needed to adjust it down so filed the cab a little to lower it still not where I needed it .the dash is hanging on the cab .I washer behind the bottom mount on the dash swings the dash to where I need It and gets the winder centre in the hole in the dash.yippee.whats the next issue gonna be

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    mitch 36 likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the next issue popped up straight away .noticed I had the glass in the speedo inside out.couldnt be looking at it.opened the gauge up and sorted it out.first pic is the (be cool)windows painted the speedo white to reflect the light into the gauges. gauge windows reverse glass 001.JPG gauge windows reverse glass 002.JPG there is little need to bend the chrome strip around the glass.its trapped between the body of the gauge and the dash when its bolted in.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

original dash mounting bolts painted. drilled and tapped a 2x1 to hold them dash bolts painted 001.JPG

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just ordered enough sound insulation to finish the cab and 1m x 1m of black heat/ water /oil resistant foam for under the hood 6mm thick to quieten things at the front end.depending on what ive left over after the cab thinking of putting some on the underside of the running boards and some under the fenders to protect from stone chips(worst affected areas) .ETA Friday/early next week

getting some 5mm mild steel rolled to suit the cab corners so I can make brackets to hold the seat belts.5mm is light but will be bolted into the B pillar and the cab structure when its done .ETA tomorrow

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Leakie and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

insulation arrived but new ETA for the rolled 5mm is next week. patience needed.have to wait for the small jobs

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

working on a few different jobs at the same time again.no pics camera battery on the way out.spent a good while on the seat belt mount slow work and tedious cutting and shaping rolled 5mm steel.first one is close the second one will be quicker.used off cuts to insulate the back of dash.made a bkt to stop the wiper switch from rotating while tightening it/painted /drilled /and araldited it to the back of the dash.finished insulating the drivers door.used 2 layers of 2mm foil backed then added 6mm foam heat insulation.extra weight helped the door close firmly and sounds quality.packed the door lock and window winder cavitys with grease.should really have added a grease nipple to the door locks.a while back when I opened them up I found the workings dry and broken return springs.sourced new springs local and added bushings where possible..if /when I come across some other locks I will add grease nipples and make them serviceable.currently the lock halfs are opened by bending a tab.eventually the tab will break.plan is to add a bushing and hold it together with screws.offering unlimited access.when I got the truck the lockrail was well out of shape..its approx. 4"x1/4" u section.straightened it on a shrinker/stretcher and welded a crack midway.i felt it would bend again so I added some 1/4" x 1 1/4" alloy to strengthen it.drilled and tapped 3mm countersunk screws to hold it in place and also used ARALDITE 2 pac adhesive to keep it straight .filled the remaining space in the U with 6mm foam insulation.getting there slowly but surely

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe and Leakie like this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

didn't have enough sound insulation to finish,will order up some more by Monday.new battery arrived for the camera so be back in action again .I sourced some KENT K 44 dialectric grease to help finish off the wiring sealing/protecting the connections from the damp weather

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe and Leakie like this.
  15. Leakie

Leakie

I was beginning to think you took an extended holiday. Glad to see your still at it.

nunattax likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

extended break over.first layer of 2mm insulation on the roof.painted the roof brace.will stick the brace to the foil using TIGERSEAL.dont anticipate it ever working loose.will lay on another layer of 2mm sound followed with 3mm black foam heat insulation. roof brace 013.JPG

TFoch, Bowtie Coupe, Leakie and 2 others like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

insulation arrived ordered on fri came on sat good service

Leakie likes this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Newport engineering were good people to deal with,i returned the wiper jig and got some t shirts for my trouble sent the jig in a shortened welding rod tube.ideal for the job cause it had tight fitting plastic blanks either end

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Leakie likes this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

wayne spent a few days in naples on the west coast,loved it over there chris

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Wayne67vert likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nderhood insulation 001.JPG great stretch in the evenings at the moment.bright till after 6pm.trying to make a move on the chevy.today I cut some underhood insulation.6mm foam.be sticking it under the hood.be leaving it run over the cowl to cushion it and keep it quiet.stepped the edge so it wont seal the heat in

21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nderhood insulation 002.JPG be fitting them tomorrow when I have some help.tricky business fitting it upside down

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

first side (passenger) done underhood insulation pass side 001.JPG

Attached Files:

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I cut the non stik backing into 2" strips and pealed them off 1 at a time so it wouldn't stick on wrong.it worked ..the foam doesn't work as well as the foil but its way lighter

Bowtie Coupe, Leakie and TFoch like this.
  24. pila38

pila38

Getting down to the small stuff Chris, looking good! When you're done, head across the pond and give me a hand, I'm stuck in neutral on my project! By the way, I pay in beer.

nunattax and TFoch like this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sounds like a plan

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

second side done.would be much easier to do with the hood off and on a table,spare pair of hands would help too.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, Leakie and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

dash fitted at last with gauges 036.JPG dash fitted at last with gauges 034.JPG fi tted the dash today along with the gauges,wiper switch and windscreen winder .this has been a great relief to me to be able to locate the original dash mounting bolts and the windscreen winder when I needed them after all these years.finished insulating under and behind the seat as well.basic stock dash rebuilt gauges Newport wipers, switch with intermittent.extra switches in the centre for hazards and rear fog lights.cigarette lighter under the dash for sat nav power etc.stock steering column and wheel
    still plenty to do

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    kidcampbell71, 6inarow, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I think ill preserve the blue on the A pillars.the truck was this colour at some stage .save the blue and treat the rust as its inside.original patina

29. I agree. I would keep it too. You're doing a wonderful job. That's a great looking truck!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe and nunattax like this.
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

these tabs worked great.allowed me to make a quick adjustment to the windscreen winder assembly while the dash was balancing on hot rod girls knees.[​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe likes this.