Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dallas, Tx cruise in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hombre, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Hombre

Hombre

The thread about car cruise's got me to wondering about cruise In's in the Dallas area. I am going to be in Dallas for a few weeks starting the 29th of this month. I am going to bring my Model A to putt around in and would like to find some local area cruise in's. While I will be in Cedar Hill I'm open to anywhere with in reason say a 100 miles or so one way.

2. KKrod

KKrod

Hombre likes this.
  3. Hombre

Hombre

Thanks KKrod, I must say I am surprised that a city the size of Dallas and Ft Worth too, don't have a little more to offer to the old car guys. Maybe those Dallas guys don't drive there cars to cruise in's either that are they are a pretty closely guarded secret. I will for certain go to the one in Mansfield, maybe there I can find a few more. Thanks Again !!

4. motortexas.com is a good search.
    motortexas.com is a good search tool.

Hombre likes this.

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

You are a week late for a big and fun one. The annual Bug Tussle Trek starts in Farmersville, Texas (home of ww2 hero Audie Murphy) and ends in Paris, Texas, about 100 miles, where there is a big blowout. The cars line up by age so the T's and A's can set the pace. At the ghost town of Bug Tussle the cross dressed cheerleaders (some with beards) hold a pep rally. There are several stops along the way where ones thirst and sweet tooth can be soothed with the best being the town of Rockston which puts on an ice cream feed; very welcome in Texas in August. If you are around in October there is Autumn Trails in Winnsborough, Texas which has the most Models A's I have seen outside of a national event. Some years there are several A400's which are uncommon. I'm sure there are others so good luck.

Hombre likes this.
  6. 1st Saturday of the month, up on the Parkway, "Cars and Coffee" is always cool. HAMB friendly ... maybe 15 to 25 percent, depending. Its staged at a BMW dealership ... think Classic BMW ?? Just look it up, they have a website.

Keller's Burgers is another one to look for. Decades old burger drive in. Several around the city. They used to have a great cruise in, car oriented night ... but details and recent memory have lost me.

If you're here in November, Pistons and Paint is on the 9th. Now THAT is a GREAT HAMB friendly event !! There's threads on here, with many a guilty HAMB'r.

Hombre likes this.
  7. Hombre

Hombre

coilover, Sorry I missed that one, I have very fond memories of Farmersville and also a pretty sad one as well. I am originally from East Texas and used to dove hunt all around Farmersville, Greenville, Forney and Lake Ray Hubbard. One year after I had returned from Viet Nam I was driving through Farmersville on my way to a new duty station in Florida. I stopped at a old Texaco Station in Farmersville to get fuel. At that time the stations pumped the gas for you and I waited for 10 minutes or so and no one came out. I went into the station and found the owner and his son had been fatally hurt when a old Split rim they were changing a tire on had come off and got them both. That was a sight I never want to see again.

Thanks for the others as well.

8. Hombre

Hombre

Webb Man thanks for that link, that is a very cool website need to study it for a while.

9. Hombre

Hombre

Campbell, Man there is another place I need to go and visit, Kellers Drive in and Samuell Blvd in East Dallas. Man I remember that place well. A lot of folks Dallas folks may remember, and it still may be that way today for all I know, Texas had a lot of DRY county's and some county's even had dry precinct's. Samuell Blvd on the East side of Dallas was the first place almost all of East Texas could go and by a drink. Kellers Drive In did a roaring business to say the least. Thanks for that!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. We drink everywhere now. Hallelujah, right ? Blue laws sucked. 20 mile drive for a 6 pack. Oh brother ...

My Kellers was the rip roaring, and wonderfully crusty, Harry Hines location. I had a sweet, industrial loft, off of Racers Alley (Ables Lane for the ones that don't know ). So it was my prime Kellers spot.

There was always some cool cars there, on Friday and Saturdays ... but most of the better cruisers ... were at their north east Dallas Kellers location. Less ghetto, less bums, less hookers ... gentrified !!

That area has better budgets, with Lake Highlands & SMU ... so likely a better spot to trudge a burger, and maybe something to look at. You can call 'em. They'll tell ya' when to come ... and call both.

I've driven by the NE Kellers, on ... I believe a Friday evening (??) ... saw some restomod styled '69 Z28 ... a '40 coupe and a 2nd generation Corvette. Couldn't stop. I was at the end of a 12 hour road trip, my kids would've killed me. Well, maybe not the 7 year old, she's always game. :)

Hombre likes this.
  11. KKrod

KKrod