Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Longtimers....what has made you keep that one special not for sale car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Because my truck was previously owned by my brother Chris who passed away in 2010. C652324B-EE5A-40BF-84C2-FC627AAC9B92.jpeg

2. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I have never owned, and never plan to own a car that is not for sale. Like the saying goes, "so many cars, so little time".

rockable likes this.
  3. Simple, I'd have to find someone who likes it more than me, and that's not gonna happen.:rolleyes:

4. The ol Ice Cream Truck and the Flat Fed will be with me to the end, will be the grandkids problem then...........every nut bolt and weld done in my garage, and paint so there is way too much invested at this point to let em go...........I let my 32 go in 75 for little money and have kicked myself in the ass ever since...... ain't gonna happen again......

trollst and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. AB6DO

AB6DO

2ADF9895-6985-4066-B1AB-678F7599A5D8.jpeg 1 got my 1948 Ford Tudor in 58 in rough non running condition. Others have come and gone but I keep this one because I like it. ED98B3A8-BA74-43A9-B388-08258C41C0F2.jpeg

trollst, jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

I have TWO........off topic/non HAMB friendly vehicle that will never be sold(till I'm dead)
    The car, I bought for my youngster's 'first car' (and then bought it back from him years later) Its the hot rod/play purty I mess with. The other is a pick up my father-in-law bought new....(and I bought from the estate) its the new-er of the two...its only 28 years old! Both gotta lot of family connections AND....the only two vehicle I can still work on and fix!!:mad:
    This new junk is dealer only except for brakes/oil/and tuneups!!
    6sally6

7. I have 2 cars that will not see another owner while I am still alive. One is a 65 Corvette that I bought for $2500 36 years ago. Its family. If I sold it I could never afford to buy another C2, and once you own a Corvette you will always want one. I have had 5 so far.
    The other is my 32 Ford coupe which I sold once before and as Moriarity said...
    I regretted it so much I finally chased it back down and bought it back....thanks HRP.

The other cars I own....eh, they could probably be bought if someone wants them more than I do.

trollst and Moriarity like this.
  8. Very fitting tribute. HRP

trollst and Black_Sheep like this.
  9. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

IMG_20181215_113232933.jpg Actually there are TWO "never sell" cars in our family.

I discovered my '34 3-window in 1973 as an old race car and it was love at first sight! I immediately sold my just completed '40 Ford Deluxe coupe and manged to buy the '34. It has never been off the road since then for more than a few of months while I've driven it over 165,000 miles. I dated and married my wife in it, brought my newborn sons home from the hospital it it, raced it, slept in it, broke it and fixed it. I laugh when people ask what it's worth because as far as I care it's priceless..

After we finished the coupe in '75 my wife wanted a '34 roadster. We finally found a solid project car at the LA Roadster Show swap meet in '79. After a lot of interference from life, children, work, etc. we got it on the road and it's never slowed down. Patti loves her roadster and calls it "Matilda" (it is an export model from Australia) and says she will never part with it. After 40 years I think she means it.

Attached Files:

10. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I cant imaging selling my 35 phaeton, last time I drove it was at least 18 months ago , but the feeling I get when I start it up and drive it I'm 18 again lots have cars have come and gone over the years but the tub aint going nowere as long as I can still drive it

trollst likes this.
  11. exterminator

exterminator

I have owned my 40 ford pickup except for a two year period since 1995. Now with the 4-71 in it- I enjoy the truck like never before. And my wife says it's a keeper. Also a daughter has claimed it as her future truck! Exterminator

trollst and jnaki like this.
  12. We have a 56 ford F100 long bed That I first drove in the hayfields when I was 12. I ran across it and bought it a decade later. My wife has a 66 chevy 3/4 ton her daddy bought new. We have a 64 fairlane our son Chris drove and worked on. It would be very hard to buy them. 56 ford truck 002.JPG

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had only one wife for 45 years, but when it comes to cars, I'm just not monogamous. I play with them until I either get tired of them or find one that tempts me more. The churn, so far, is never ending. :rolleyes:

14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

They're done and they're paid for.

nunattax likes this.
  15. Slightly off topic, but my '66 Chevy II Nova SS is my not for sale car. The day I saw it on the "Lemon Lot" (that's a used car lot for military people on base) at Hickam Air Force Base in Hi, I told the buddy I was with that " that car is sold!" from 100 yards away. I had a white w/ turquoise interior 1964 El Camino daily for my entire driving career prior to joining the Navy, and while I was away at boot camp, my Dad decided to help a buddy of mine out and sell him the car for $500.00. Said he believed I would never be back for it because Texas to Florida was too far to drive in it. The $500.00 didn't even cover the freshly rebuilt 327 and power glide I had put in it (and I never saw a dime of it anyway)! So since the Chevy II was Aqua inside and out, I was sold. It wasn't till later that I realized how semi rare it really was....327 (275 horse, not a L-79), 4 speed w/ console, 12 bolt posi w/ 4.11's, and a factory radio and heater delete car. I pulled the factory 327 out and put it on a stand in the shop (don't wanna hurt it) and put another engine in it back in the day. But since I don't do any drag racing with it anymore, I should rebuild the 327 and put it back in. I've lost track of the number of offers to buy it over the years, I have to keep a cover on it down at the shop because it draws people in off the street (car guys I don't mind so much, but crackhead's wandering up at midnight I can do without!). I tell everybody I'm going to be buried in it, but I wouldn't do that to the car... it's a keeper! 20190825_081616.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never really had any that I wouldn't sell, but had several I didn't want to sell and ended up having too for one reason or another. Like HRP said, after all was said and done, the money was spent and gone and I was without a car. Most of the time it worked out that if I had of just held out a little longer I wouldn't of had to sell anything, but no one can see the future.

My 47, I doubt I'll ever sell it, although I might possibly be open to trading it for the right car, but it would have to be absolutely perfect and something I couldn't get otherwise like a 40 Ford. And even at that, I don't know if I could get rid of the 47, I've had to go completely through that car, changed everything from brakes to engine to rear end, new wiring, and hope to get new paint sometime in the future. It's not a car you're likely to park beside at any show, in fact, you may never see another in the flesh, er, steel, so that's another thing I like about it. It's different, just like I'm different. No bellybutton cars for me!

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife's 55-it's been with us for 42 years and was our main car for many years. My current 40 has been around for 11 yrs while many other 40's we built have come and gone. Considering maybe selling the 40 but never the 55! Thought I would never sell my 57 Fuely but we did after 39 yrs-kinda miss it too. Wife told me to keep it but we let it go.

18. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've got two.. My '46 truck, I've only owned it 11 years, but the memories made in it with my family have put it in the "never sell" category. The '52 pickup I just got back- well, it took me 20 years to buy it the first time, then I got stupid and sold it. It took another nearly 10 years to get it home this time. I give up, am fixing everything wrong with it, and keeping it....

19. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Probably be my MG Midget, Midge. She named herself - the 'T' on the left side fell off as I was looking at her one day.

Many other parts have done the same since...

Why I won't sell her? She got me through high school and the military, still turns heads, and has another few dozen things I still need to fix. Again.

Mostly, I'm just stubborn. :D

I think Gladys, the 1950 Dubl-Duti, will fall into the same category, but without the British Leyland build quality.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

IMG_4469.JPG

Thought about parting with my 1912 T, but everything worked out and it is still the keeper. Restored in 1950 in time for the Glidden Tour three months before I was born. Got my very first "old car" ride in it when I was 12, came up for sale when I was out of money, and again in 1983. Sold a 1928 Packard Roadster project and have had it ever sence. Oldest daughter drove it when she was six, oldest grandson drove it at 4. Should have it at Hershey for my 50 in a row swap meet attendance. Bob

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    nunattax and olscrounger like this.
  21. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I have a few that will probably always be around although some are driven more than others. The ones in the pic have been with me a long time. The '37 since 1990, '51 Plm - 1984, Comet - 1985 and my Dodge - 1974, the winner at 45 years so far. This photo was taken in 2004 and they all look pretty much the same with some improvements 15 years later. I bought what I liked and have no reason to sell. As many have posted here, they are part of me and my family history.

the fleet 04.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    The37Kid and nunattax like this.
  22. I got my 36 Chevy truck 40 years ago today as a birth day present from my folks. I dated my wife in it, used it in our wedding, all 4 kids grew up with it. I consider that pickup as a member of our family, it’s not worth much money wise but it’s got billions of dollars of sentimental value. I’ve had absolutely no problems selling any other cars I’ve owned, just not this one. Mitch

The37Kid likes this.