Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Quigley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austin kays, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Austin kays

Austin kays

Can I get some more input on this oh so very odd engine? I know there’s a thread on here but it’s dead and lacks much info.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Austin kays

Austin kays

9DA587D5-0EEB-46F6-9108-F03D94AB3874.jpeg 61C11527-87F2-4D02-BEC8-FF9C125374DC.jpeg 99FBD1C9-04DF-4066-96FA-95500828FFC3.jpeg 4446F161-B46C-45DF-9A8C-20AA405E6E4F.jpeg 56FE15E6-0A5C-4E01-B79E-877DBE5526AD.jpeg 00903E3D-D62A-4944-8556-04EB89F01D99.jpeg

Attached Files:

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Austin kays

Austin kays

Recently seen by me this past weekend it got me wondering. Why? And how? Is there any footage of it racing? Drawings? So many questions to such a fascinating engine

Stogy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy, Austin kays and loudbang like this.

5. Austin kays

Austin kays

Yeah I read threw that thread I was hoping that maybe there was more found out about it since that tread was started.

Stogy likes this.
  6. leon bee

leon bee

Where is that thing?

7. Austin kays

Austin kays

The speedway museum in Lincoln Nebraska

8. 62rebel

62rebel

Lots of comments on the other thread about the long chain drive... SOHC 427's had them, few hassles iirc

Austin kays likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Does that mean there were few hassles or there were a few hassles?

Texas Webb likes this.
  10. 62rebel

62rebel

Few, as in pretty reliable setup for a high revving engine design

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Sometime in the '90s there was a similar conversion for 351w Ford motors : saw a feature in one of the magazines, along with adds for the conversion, but never saw it again. Remember it as a bit "pricey", especially for a guy just coming out of a divorce, bot it was interesting

12. 62rebel

62rebel

I do admire the imagination and work that went into that; within a few years, cars would have substantially smaller engine compartments, and the sheer amount of extra space required for that would have doomed it, except for a pickup truck or something like that. Imagine it in a shop truck circa 1964....

13. Austin kays

Austin kays

As do I it’s such a neat engine. It’s got my wheels turning

14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Pete Aardema here in San Diego does some interesting ohc conversations on a variety of engines. He has some cool videos on you tube

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Austin kays likes this.
  15. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Looks like a 1956 (and 57 pickup) 265 with the log type exhaust manifolds, oil filter, and the small Rochester 2-jet carb. A lot of work for an engine that wouldn't flow much air. Was maybe a test mule for the OHC design.

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Well my friend Dave crane passed and that motor was his. It is a 265 Chevy that mr Quigley built it in the 50s to run in a stockcar! I don't have a lot of details, because everyone that has been tied to that motor is gone. imagine what the officials said when they got alook at that small block. the class it was built for required a 2 barrel, 300 inches, and stock manifolds. story goes he would haul it to the track, pull the distributor out of the chevy truck , drop it in this motor, his driver raced the car, pull it out put back in tow truck, and haul it home! Quigley was an employee at the Chrysler proving grounds, in Chelsea mi. , he built modified stock cars, plus quick change rearends, and other parts, and built this one only sbc. it was home built, the oiling system is quite something to see. a lot of throught went into this for a home build. we never found out how well it ran, but as I remember, after the officials discovered it, they asked him to take it home! the motor was found in a house in a basement, as the house was being torn down. and then given to dave. we spent a lot of time looking at daves ;Quigley; when we were in his museum. sure miss david. please make a trip to the museum of speed in Lincoln Nebraska, its well worth your time. david cranes collection is there now, and he had some interesting things! ask for tim the curator,great guy! tell him you want to see the QUIGLEY!

Austin kays and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a very unique feet in engineering... @rd martin great story

@Austin kays if you could get that engine I take it it might bump the period up on the old Hotrod a bit eh...:D...it has the profile of one of those engines from the twenties...I remember posting a pic of a Hotrod with one in it back some time ago...I think it was a Hispano Susia...:confused:...probably spelled that wrong...:D

Austin kays likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

It would be interesting to see dyno numbers on that engine compared to a stock one.

Stogy likes this.
  19. My first impression is that whoever welded those valve covers is an excellent fry cook....o_O

20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Hah! 56Don beat me to it. Mr. Quigley appears to have been a very inventive engineer, but not much of a welder.

21. Austin kays

Austin kays

Hehehe that it would.

22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

If you can get to the museum take a look at the way the cam housing on the front of the motor is made, all pieces of steel welded together! When ever I have looked at the motor, the first thing I see is Cadillac North Star eng. I was a gm mech, and the cam housing on the front of it is very similar to a North Star v8. Lots of thinking went into it! Every time someone walked into Dave’s little museum and saw that motor, Dave asked, do you want to see my quigley? I will never forget Dave, or that dam quigley! Get to the museum and see the place, and cmon out Dave’s other stuff, including his altered that’s there!

Austin kays likes this.