Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ever notice when you go to work outside the wind picks up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Aug 24, 2019.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Happens all the time time.. I wait to go out to the driveway to work when it’s calm . all of a sudden wind picks up. So I go back in and wait.. when it stops and is calm I go back out.. wind picks up -over and over. Ever happen to you? Guess Mother Nature doesn’t like hot rodder.

chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  2. daliant

daliant

Only when doing an oil change.

lothiandon1940 and blowby like this.
  3. It doesn't matter what I want to do outside, the wind picks up. Mow, spray weeds, work on the car, eat lunch. Doesn't matter.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

If you want it to rain...wash your car!;)

5. no55mad

no55mad

Also notice that the trees are moving, that's what causes the wind.

6. Yeah it usually does after having my Chili too !

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is it just me, the wind always picks up when you want to mig weld something outside.:mad:

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I used to think that also, but after moving here where trees are an endangered species and the wind blows constantly, I now believe differently.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and Al T like this.
  9. rust&patina

rust&patina

Or when you sweep up the floor, just get the dust pan down 6" above the floor ...
    and here comes the wind o_O ..

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Our place is situated in a valley of sorts.....on warm days during the summer we get winds blowing through here pretty much every evening. So I know if I'm doing anything that wind might effect, I had better get it done before evening.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. We sometimes have a bit of wind but I don't mind that. I live at a Hwy intersection. Its traffic noise and other noise. I am very hard of hearing and its getting worse. Every time I want to listen to a engine some traffic comes by making excessive noise. A semi coming down hwy 93 with the jake brakes on. Motorcycle or vehicle with loud pipes. some idiot with 6 foot diameter speakers whole car vibrating so much they could bounce man hole covers on the hood. Or almost as bad a PECO Cackle Crate and the dead corpse smell that could gag a maggot that wafts around when it stops at the intersection. There are over 100 chicken grower houses on Hwy 93 between my corner and the Missouri state line 15 miles up the road. ICE raided PECO in Mississippi last week maybe they will come visit the Pocahontas Plant? And the very worse is folks playing musical children. The judge court orders divorced folks to meet and swap kids at the hwy jct (theres a wide spot parking area just across hwy 93 east of my shop. Those parents mother in laws ect. get to yelling and argueing ect. I am beginning to really hate this corner. No wonder Im a Curmudgeon in a bad mood LOL. Im slowly working towards moving back to our old place we have 14 acres there. Only dust from the gravel road there. And sometimes the 11 point river floods the road. But very little traffic.

13. exterminator

exterminator

The winds are welcome here in the High desert in So Cal in the afternoon. We need all the coolness we can get. Exterminator

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

The other day I was welding on my trailer . Of course the wind came up and had to stop mig welding until I set up a wind blocker from some sheets of plywood.

15. topher5150

topher5150

I don't have a garage and I had to do some welding. I tried putting a tarp over everything I think I spent more time getting the tarp to stay in place than I did actual welding.
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. catdad49

catdad49

Already windy today, so much for getting anything done Outside!

17. On a hot day with no wind, and a breeze would be nice, just hang up a part on the clothes line and get out a can of spray paint. Viola! Instant wind!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Old wolf and catdad49 like this.
  18. aaggie

aaggie

It gets a little warm in Texas in the Summer so when I built my shop I located it on a line Southeast to Northwest to take advantage of the prevailing winds. I have a ten foot rollup door on each end and a large fan by the back door facing toward the front door to get the breeze started. It actually is not bad working on a hot day. Welding can be a challenge but a sheet of thin plywood makes it manageable.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I ride a bicycle for exercise and the wind will always change direction and will have to ride into the wind on the way out and back home.

20. Richard Head

Richard Head

It seems like every time I try to fold up a tarp by myself, the wind picks up

Dave

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's more fun to WATCH than a Sunday afternoon at the boat ramp!

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On a postive note, you're getting more excercise that way! :) Jeff, you have reminded me of an experiment we did a few years ago on our bicycles. We pedaled from the house, into the wind, as far as we could stand it, then turned around and with one revolution of the pedal crank, sailed all the back to the house. A full quarter mile :)

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Murphy must have been a weatherman, the luck I have with wind or rain or snow.

24. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Hahahahaha

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And paint.

belair likes this.
  26. chrisp

chrisp

That happens all the time, get the stuff out, cut, grind, setup everything, get the welder, lower the helmet and voilà after the first tack the wind starts to blow. Now I wear a big cardboard sheet on my back like a cape so I can protect my welds. I must be looking like a total nut job to my neighbors...

chryslerfan55 and s55mercury66 like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Exactly the opposite here, when you need a little wind to cool off, none to be found. Mostly mid spring when it gets windy here, so you plan accordingly. Rest of the year, unless a front or storm is moving through, the air is so still and thick with humidity it takes a quarter 5 minutes to hit the ground when you drop it. We call it air you can wear, lol.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It was too windy for a bicycle ride today so I hopped on the Harley to a ride to the lake to get a sandwich and a couple beers.

29. 6sally6

6sally6

Its still-as-death here..........except when you strike a match. Never any wind when the flys swarm your burger. Everything is opposite-world!!!!!
    6sally6

30. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Not here in Washington, this is what happens!! tumblr_pcy4ofqeey1sqoxfvo1_500.gif