Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car cover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokedownbiker, Aug 24, 2019.

1. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After hours online looking for a car cover that will fit my 1941 Chevrolet 2 door sedan, I thought I'd ask the folks here.
    I have a cover for my (OT) '66 Mustang that is made for it, it fits the car perfectly. I'm trying to find one to fit the Chevy the same way as well as for my '51 Ford but I cannot seem to find one for cars older than 1955 (Tri-Five Chevy's)
    Anyone got a line on a company that makes covers for specific old cars ?

2. egads

egads

California Car Cover show's they have them. Not cheap but fit well.

seb fontana and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For inside storage.. mine has a flannel on the inside and cotton duck on the outside...great

egads likes this.
  6. I purchased a cover for our wagon from car covers . com, do yourself a favor and but one from California car cover, they may be a little more expensive but they will fit like a glove, the crap I got ended up being a universal station wagon cover but I was told it was specifically for a 52-54 Ford wagon, yeah right it fits the car like a small guy wearing a 3X t-shirt, this cover would probably fit a Sherman Tank! :mad: HRP

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    egads likes this.
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a California Car Cover for my Shoebox. It's my 3rd cover by them. I had a cheapie on one of my cars....NEVER AGAIN! Buy a good one first and don't look back!
    BTW... I even have one for my vintage camper (custom paint) that sits outside all Michigan winter long. They really work well.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Good ones ain't cheap and cheap ones ain't good. Words to live by.:D;)

9. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

10. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

CoverCraft is not cheap but very high quality. They offer a variety of materials for different needs. If they don’t have a pattern for your car they will send a form for you to fill out with your own measurements for a custom fit cover. They have great customer service.

11. Speed~On

Speed~On

I had California Car Cover custom make one for my car. They did not charge any extra $$$ for a custom made cover vs an in stock cover.
    They ask that you send photos of your car from each side and write the measurements on each photo. It was simple. I couldn't be happier, its a great cover, machine washable, fits perfect. It is several years old now and still looks new.

12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I noticed (while I was shopping for one the other night) that the California Car Covers for a '32 Ford has model choices of "Model B" or "Model 18". Anyone have a cover for a '32 from them and know why they call them out like that? Same body, different engine, no dimensional difference. Before you say either will work, there is about a $150 price difference between the 2 in each style of material.

Because of what I'm finding while shopping, I would not order off the internet but call and talk to an actual human.

SPark

egads likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I bought a cover from CarCoversdotcom too, I bought their high end top level cover, it was for my 47 Coupe. It's really oversize, and it hangs down off the back bumper like a dirty diaper that's full. I contacted them to tell them I was unhappy with it, and they told me it was the best fitting cover for my car. They reminded me that it a "semi-custom" cover, not a "full custom" cover. They offerred to take it back and give me a full refund, I opted to keep it, because covers from California Car Covers are so damned expensive. This cover comes with a lifetime guarantee, I guess we'll see how long it lasts, and how well they stand by their guarantee. Here's how it fits:
    20190423_175559.jpg 20190423_175610.jpg 20190423_175624.jpg
    And that's with the extra wind restraining straps installed.

Note: the pics are of when I first put it on, I now put a folded up towel over the hood emblem, and a foam roll over the rear license plate before I put the cover on, the prevent wear from the inside. Also, I've been shading the top with a tarp to protect it from the So Cal sun during the summer, and to give a little added protection when it rains. Again, we'll eventually see how well it lasts, and I'll make sure to post everywhere on how well they treat me when it eventually wears out. I'm giving it every possibility to last, now it's up to the material itself.

14. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Casey Riley likes this.
  15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, their site didn't come up on my searches.

16. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the photos, that kind of fit is what I'm trying to avoid.

17. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I'm running into as well. The places that have covers for '41 list several different models but none of them are for my Master Deluxe sedan.
    California Car Covers only lists a Special Deluxe Station wagon

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  18. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Didn't know that. I saw 2 door and thought... coupe!

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That carcovers.com site also has a listing for a sedan.

Having said that, I'll put in another vote for California Car Cover. I've had their covers for two different cars, and both fit like a glove.

olscrounger and egads like this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think the Model 18 came with cowl lights whereas th eModel B did not. So $150 extra to cover your lights?

21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would not leave my car outside with a floppy condom cover like @Blues4U I would be concerned about paint rubbing during wind. Inside it would be all good though even though not pretty.

Black_Sheep and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We lived in a house on a steep hill with a narrow carport. One side had a huge block wall as part of the foundation for the house. The other two sides were the driveway and openess to the surrounding neighborhood. The road in front was so steep that we never backed up and turned left, uphill. We always went down the steep road in front and that was the daily scene.

It was the open sides of the car port that continued to get to our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and my wife’s sporty car. She specifically chose that little car because it fit better in the narrow car port. But, as things go, the weather always made a mess of both cars, being exposed on two sides. So, as a measure of protection, there were a couple of companies that made custom car covers. One of the associate editors of Road and Track lived down the street and he had a cover on his 46 Ford Woody in his two car car port. Road&Track and 46 woody? Who would have thought…

We took his advice and purchased a couple of custom fitting car covers for our two cars. My wife’s sporty car was smaller than the 40 sedan delivery. That custom cover fit like a dream. The larger one for the sedan delivery fit and if I pulled on the adjusting cords, hugged the whole body. There were only a few companies back then, but the big name was Covercraft. It had the same quality that everyone praises from the current California Car Cover company. The inside protected the paint softly and the outside shed water like a duck. Both cars were always clean upon our daily drives.
    upload_2019-8-28_3-46-17.png
    Jnaki

We found out that the covers fold nicely and fit in the trunk of the sporty car and empty areas of the sedan delivery. So, we took them everywhere. Our cars looked and felt clean all of the time. Even my wife was fine with the on/off cover for her car, daily. But, it was getting a little weary, taking those covers out, putting them on the car/sedan delivery and adjusting the straps for a secure protective scenario. There was even a lock attachment for unsecure areas in every neighborhood.

As the weather got milder, the car cover usage stopped as cleanliness, as obsessive as it is, just was not part of the busy cover/uncover scene. It was easier to just wash the car weekly. It became part of the old “Zen” thing to do as we learned in our early teen maintenance days. As 20 somethings, we had the energy and clean cars.

The only times the custom car covers came out were the times when we took the sedan delivery on a road trip for a week or two. (locked and secured) Or vice versa. As funny as they look sitting in a car port, they did what they were built to do, protect the cars.

Of course, ever since, the protective, enclosed, two car garage, covered parking structures (as many as possible), and no parking under weeping trees, help in the “stay clean” car adventures to the present day.

23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I had a California car cover for my 52 F-1. It fit well and when it started to come apart along one of the seams, I called them and sent me another one ! Can’t beat that ! However, covering is not like being inside. Lots of things got rusty or rubber started splitting, my master cylinder rusted up badly too

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

If you have nice paint don’t cheap out on your car cover.

egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, I know is is an old thread but I have to share my recent experiences in the car cover quest.
    I looked at several companies and eventually settled on Covercraft.
    However, they don't list my car. So I sent them the info and pix of the car for a custom cover (extra $35) but they blew me off and eventually stopped answering emails or calls. Lousy customer service killed another sale!
    So the cars spent all winter with just old bed sheets as covers.

I just found a another company that lists my car so I have finally ordered covers. Carcovers.com is the site I ordered from, I'll update when they arrive and I can evaluate the quality.

26. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the covers out and on the cars but I'm really disappointed. They were supposed to be direct-fit covers for my particular cars but in reality they are identical universal-style covers, baggy and ill fitting. Either cover will fit either car ('41 Chevy and '51 Ford sedan).
    They do cover the cars so I'm going to keep them- it's not worth my time to hassle with it.
    Buyer beware, I guess.

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My '50 Ford Sedan spent another winter covered with my California Car Cover. It started to split right where the hood ornament sets. I doubled up some duct tape on that spot (one inside, one outside) hoping it'll last another 8 years!

28. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

87B14E0A-C758-4C21-8651-C9EFAC314343.jpeg B6606BD3-E2E9-4123-B3D6-9E2543894538.jpeg I have an Cover Craft Evolution Block-It cover for both of my cars. While they do not fit like a tailored suit, both fit well and keep the dust off while parked inside.

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have several California car covers--fit well and last.One is over 35 years old. Still good shape.
    I have a spare as new one for a 57 BA hardtop from when I sold the 57 Fuely a few years ago-up in the attic somewhere--One for wife's 55 is the oldest one-still good-one for my 40 10 yrs old-still excellent shape too.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    egads likes this.
  30. Prime example of you get what you pay for, California Car Covers are the best if you want it to fit you car as it should. HRP

olscrounger and egads like this.