Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Plymouth flathead 6 to 440

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stock valley ranch, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Hello guys I’m in need of some advice. I picked up a 59 Plymouth I’m wanting to put some muscle under the hood getting rid of the flathead 6 with 3 on the tree move to a 440 with 727 has any of you done this I sure would appreciate some guidance, with people that know more than me. I’m finding out I know nothing of mopar stuff. I know mounts will need to be welded for motor and trans different drive line and radiator. If anyone has some first hand experience that would be great thanks for your time.

2. Well, a '59 was available with a "B" engine so should go in with factory parts.

Truckdoctor Andy and JeffB2 like this.
  3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

turboroadster likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

59 was one of the last years for the flathead, don't scrap the motor it has a somewhat rare lowered water pump housing, 12 volt electrics and I have heard that the last generation of the flat head had more h.p. And had a better breathing exhaust manifold.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

5. exterminator

exterminator

Your idea sounds good to me.440 yeah!!

6. Use factory parts as said above, the mounts can be a lift tricky to find

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. You don't show your location.Maybe a long shot but a junk yard in,around your area could be of help.

8. Thanks guy I will keep looking and learning

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where are you located? I know of one salvage yard that may have what you need, but would advise you to pick it up in person, as they have a bit of a reputation for screwing buyers that aren't local.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha ha, I know that place!

11. But still a flathead that probably weighs as much as the 440 and busts out a mad 100 horses or so

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yeah your right there, but there's some knuckle head like me using an old lump like that so I'm just saying don't scrap it out. image.jpg Sorry for hi jacking your thread

turboroadster and Torkwrench like this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yank that crusty turd out and slam home that 440!

Speedway sells Hemi engine mounting brackets for a Hemi that fit the 440 as well.

53C4D5BA-F021-4A8E-A818-8033D54C1D9B.jpeg
    You can fab up frame brackets hella easy. Tranny crossmember is a cinch as well, use the 1966 style tranny mount it’s easiest to work with.

I’ve put big block Chrysler engines in Model As, a 1952 Plymouth and cars they belong in and they’re just as easy as the small block Chevy. I’ve even thought about putting one in my ‘56 Chevy! :cool:

541DF48C-05EE-4A2D-B8FE-6B70E2BF1605.jpeg

turboroadster likes this.
  14. Damn, that's awesome!

15. That’s really good to know thanks for the insight