Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you more of a hot rod guy or a custom guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 23, 2019.

1. I migrated toward the hot rods at a early age and I really believe it was because when I was a kid I never saw any customs around my home town but as I got older and read more magazines I was taken with the the styles the custom builders were using.

I love both the Rods & Customs and have really never had a custom although I was leaning that way when I got my '50 Ford coupe but as I dove into it and with the big engine slowly but surely the hot rodder in me took over and it veered away from the custom I was thinking I was going to build.

I'm confident that some day I am going to own a custom, it doesn't have to be over the top and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Ford but it has to speak to me.

I guess we all day dream about what we don't have, but someday...... HRP

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What kind of question is that Danny?
    [​IMG]

3. Far and away a custom guy here. Owning a hot rod would be WAY down on my list of wanted cars.

Texas57, Sancho and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

5. Hot rods because I don’t have the talent or money for customs. I have one that might be called a mild custom/hemi powered hot rod
    705ED151-9B3D-4677-BDD4-25B7CE679F19.jpeg
    Trust me there are a bunch of little things about it that are “kustom”

6. egads

egads

7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0464.JPG IMG_1076.JPG our pic`s 181.jpg our pic`s 234.jpg my tastes vary a bit , even have a stocker or 2

Squablow, enloe, traffic61 and 5 others like this.
  8. If anyone looked through my albums you would assume I am a hard core hot rodder but I guess I might just be a closet custom guy.

I would love to have a simple 50 Mercury and actually got close to a trade with my old black 4 door 32 sedan with a old friend but we just couldn't close the deal, that's been almost 15 years ago. HRP

triman62, enloe, traffic61 and 2 others like this.
  9. das858

das858

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Hot rods, I like going fast.

11. mopacltd

mopacltd

Hot Rod vote from here!

lumpy 63, Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I appreciate the talent and the correct smooth lines on a custom as well as the technical aspects . I have never pictured myself cruising in a low n slow car with a wicked chopped haircut but I view them as cool. A hot rod with a good rumble and shifting gears and I am there with some cool shades and a backward ball cap. :)

13. Unfortunately for me, I dig both. :)

14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

15. hudson48

hudson48

Both. Started with hot rods and then crossed over into 49th Street so have a foot in both camps. Then toss in a 63 Riviera and that completes the picture. 2U3A0130 (Large).jpg

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My vote is Hot Rod. While I can appreciate the time and skill of the custom builders, I rarely like the outcome more than the original. I can accept a mild chop, even though I cringe when I hear of a guy taking a saw to an unaltered original . Don’t like low cars either, guess I got that from learning to drive on dirt roads around the ranch, needed clearance! But I do like power and sliding sideways on the dirt!

Bones

ffr1222k and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve always liked traditional customs, but I have this severe itch to bang Hurst shifters installed in old Fords and Chevys ... so it’s gotta be hot rods!

18. I have had both, but actually prefer a noisy and in your face hot rod...

19. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have always been a hot rod guy, the older I get I am liking customs more and more. She likes customs a lot, so when or if I get some of the hot rods done, I see a custom in my future.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mild hot rods for me but would like a mild custom 49-50 Ford coupe or 49-51 Chevy Torpedo. Both would have stout engines though.

21. I like just about every style of car as long as its old american iron. I will say that i enjoy dreaming and thinking of customs, but I never cared for how the traditional custom would run basically stock motors. A custom needs a hot rod motor as well in my book, but we have a little of everything in the stable my grandfather and I share. Got a hot rod, got a custom, got a 50's cruiser and a restored stock muscle car, just need a old gasser/drag car now

arkiehotrods and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Dad built 3 of them over the years first one in 54 last one in 97 . here is an article from Jan 55 HOTROD
    IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0188.JPG

arkiehotrods, Squablow, enloe and 8 others like this.
  23. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I've always been a hot rod guy because I like to go fast. Back in the day, if someone wanted to insult you they'd say your car was all show and no go. That's how I always viewed customs, kind of like low riders. I can appreciate the workmanship of them but they were just never for me.

As I have gotten older my outlook has changed somewhat. Been thinking I'd like something like a '64 Rivi with a Watson style paint job. Also really'd like a '36 three window tail dragger with skirts. Even been thinking about doing up my '64 Catalina 2+2 in more of a custom style even though it's a 4 speed car. Just something to cruise in with comfort with a nice ride, glass packs and fancy paint. :cool:

24. After reading about the Barris Brothers I was hooked on customs, but now I have both...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Hot Rod but admire the effort put forth on a custom!

HOTRODPRIMER and ratrodrodder like this.
  26. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I'm with Bills 50 ^.
    The craftsmanship required to pull off a good custom is currently beyond my skills, and I'd love an early '50s Merc.... but in all reality, I'd much rather have a hot rod with a souped up engine and big-n-littles to scoot around town in.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.