Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rod and custom magazine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gasmanm01, Aug 21, 2019.

1. What.......loved this magazine.. and loved how they had everything from 32 Ford’s to 70’s drag cars...it will be missed. I have every issue

2. ...what if I printed shirts like this...

RQD & CUSTQM ?

...how many guys would like a shirt?

3. Wow...and Hop Up...annually....I don’t get it...holding the magazine, the smell of the ink and paper, knowing someone put their thoughts and style into the story and photos...sorry looking at a computer, tablet, or phone isn’t the same...this digital shit to quote officer Lawnmower “ is wayyyy outta line” give me a damn magazine

4. catdad49

catdad49

Tiki, I'm with you! Give me something (in my hands) I can peruse front to back, back to front, at my leisure. See my post above regarding TR&K and I did check out the latest word on Hop-Up. An annual is OK with me as long as it's up to snuff, but the Special at $7 + $8 shipping, I have to think about. I wonder if they would give us a group rate?!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Slopok

Slopok

I find it hard to bring the computer into the washroom!:eek:

6. Ever drop an IPad in the shitter...

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Rod & Custom is where I found exactly what I was looking for as a kid, that carried over until their demise, the second and third! I agree with others, this is our Rod & Custom for now and the future. Thanks Ryan!

9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I and a lot of others would like a R&C shirt with the correct logo. I see a market for this logo on different kinds of apparel but I am too old to start a business...……..

10. Cymro

Cymro

This was the best magazine by far, in terms of content, articles and how tos, The Rodder's Journal is good but subscription only I believe, over here in the UK.

11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Loved Rod & Custom. Started reading it when I was about 10 years old, & it was the little magazine. At that time it was 1958 & I was crazy for go karts. It had about 10 different factory made go karts advertised in it plus plans you could buy and build your own. It also had mini bike ads as well. Started buying it for the go karts & mini bikes but got hooked on the cars. T-buckets, customs, hot rods I was hooked for life. I grew up and they came back out with the new Rod & Custom magazine. Always loved the covers, and the way they had laid it out. By then I was getting any magazine I wanted free from my next door neighbor, who worked for a magazine display company. She gave Vogue, and Glamour magazines to my wife, and Hot Rod, Car Craft, Hot Rodding, Street Rodder, Rod Action, Rod & Custom, plus any other car book that I wanted. It got to the point that I had so many Car Books in boxes in my garage, that my wife started to worry about mice getting in the house. It was a 2-car attached garage. So I kept the R&C magazines, and donated all the rest to a local Vocation School where a good friend was the body shop teacher. He said after I dropped those magazines off, he couldn't get any work out of the boys for the rest of the day. They were all fighting over who was getting what to take home. He said he got some major points from almost all the kids except the one into rice burners. There were some Motor Trend in there, but not enough to please those kids. I for one would love to see R&C come back.

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Try subscribing to this! It's free!

Allmotor, buford36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sold my magazine collection which started in 1972 on ebay a few years back.... kept only my Rod & Customs

Junior Stock likes this.
  14. Had a few bad years. I finally got my act together and started shuffling through my old magazines at the end of last year. That's when I found out Rod and Custom bit the dust. Broke my heart.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

[​IMG]
    Trent Sherrill is starting this publication with the
    Cheater Slick guy
    I have started a new platform / publication Traditional Rod & Kulture Illustrated . With partner chuck of Cheater Slick Culture , as #traditionalrodandkulture has came to a stop. I feel it would be easier to make a video and give a “how thankful I am “ speech for the countless things this magazine has brought to my life, but in text words won’t truly be able to describe how much I appreciate Scott Stevens and the platform he gave me to show off my passion to document americana around the world + the fact he always treated me right, I’m starting a new publication I hope the supporters, family and friends see it as a passing of the torch to allow me to continue the documentation of what we love with americana and more. Thank you to every contributor that ever gave their blood sweat and tears and content into this magazine. Thank you to every subscriber / anyone that has gave any positive actions towards Rod and kulture. Love y’all, time to keep on keepin on

Sent from my iPad

16. Can’t wait for it..TRK will be missed

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. musclecars

musclecars

So am I reading this right that TRK is no more and Speed and Kulture is taking it's place.I just re-upped last January and have only received the Spring edition,are they going to fulfill my sub with the new rag or refund me some money...inquiring minds need to know.

chuckIII and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Rod & Custom was the best main steam car magazine I miss it, but I can always say I made the last issue!
    IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2395.JPG

19. musclecars

musclecars

just want to make it clear that I'm not bad mouthing anyone at TRK,I have every issue and was looking forward to #58 but having not received it yet I was wondering what was going on.After I replied to this topic I did some research and found where it says they decided not to print #58 and move on to the new name hence my wondering about the rest of my sub.If I am getting the new title mag I'm sure it will be just as good as TRK.

20. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

R C was a Damn Good Mag. St./Rod Don't like N its been going Down Hill

21. Gary Rickels

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

When they dropped Rod and Custom they replaced my sub with Motor Trend , For over two years I threw every copy in the trash! Was in the man cave in the shop having a beer tonight looking through some old 90s mags laying on the bar. Bought a street rodder here and there when I am working out of town but 57 Buick customs with 20 inch wheels are not my thing. I started buying Rod and Custom and Hot Rod back in 1967 when I was 12 , I miss real mag's . Larry

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  23. dln1949

dln1949

The last time I saw Rickels T bucket Dave Kraker had it in the San Bernardino area, and thats been 35-40 years ago.

24. exterminator

exterminator

I have fond memories of Rod and Custom. Picked up my first one in 1968 while in high school and subscribed to it until it died. Sad for me. Almost feel like I lost a friend!

25. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

They will honor your subscription and give you Speed and Kulture magazine

Sent from my iPad

26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Back in the eighties I was at a car show and took out a subscription to a new independent street rod magazine. less than six months into the subscription the magazine went belly up and they then sent some magazine that only featured Corvettes till the subscription was up. I sell used magazines at swap meets that I pick up in bulk or are doubles I already have. They sell well and most of the time people tell me they buy them for the same reason. The new books are too expensive and in most cases the tech articles don't seem to be outdated and can still be applied.

27. exterminator

exterminator

That was my first rod and custom I picked up.The little black T roadster on the cover I thought was so cool and then some years later the guy that owned it drove it over to my house since he was a friend of my buddy. I felt like I had a VIP visiting me. I was jazzed. Exterminator

28. Church Key

Church Key

I am a subscriber from issue one and still have every issue. Their demise is news to me, is there any statement from TRK. From what little news I have seen it looks simply as a name change.

29. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Yea I think it’s a owner/name change thing

Sent from my iPad

30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

They quit selling TRK in Canada a couple of years ago. Makes it pretty damn hard to support it. I loved that mag. Pin ups and real nice cars.

How come OL sckool rods won't die instead?