Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you look to see if people are looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Aug 14, 2019.

1. OK, only this one time!:rolleyes:
    CT Dragway 150.JPG

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We drove from Iowa to Connecticut to get my ‘32 body. On the way home we stopped to grab a bite. Before going in I was checking my tie downs and an old lady (I’m 61 and she was a lot older than I am) walked up and asked if that was a 32 Ford. I said it was a fiberglass one. She said when she was younger her boyfriend had a ‘32 5 window. She had a funny smile on her face and just stared at it for a minute or two. She patted it on the trunk, gave me a hug and said “memories” and walked away.

Several more times on our trip home people honked or waved at us. That’s when I learned these old cars mean a lot to some people’s lives.

Looking around should be a normal part of driving but don’t ignore those looking at you. I tend to wonder what they are thinking.

SPark

i.rant and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I don't see why anyone would wanna look. I'm no exhibitionist by no means.
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  4. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

Coming down TN 68 the other day and a Harley ride stuck his finger out at me like they do other Harley's, I stuck mine back out at him!!! Whether its cool or not, around here just about everyone waves, rude not to respond like wise..

i.rant, greaser and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't need to look to see of people are staring at my car...

I'm so cool that I carry my own breeze...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

clowncar.jpg
    It was impossible to ignore the people on the Interstate as I was headed toward Texas today. They honked and waved and took pictures with their cellphones. There were locals but also yankees from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio taking pictures.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

No, but I always make sure to turn my head sideways toward the crowd when I shift gears, giving them the cool look I have practiced for many years when driving past the storefront windows downtown. They know, that I know, that they know, that I am cooler than the Fonz ;)

clem, Guthrie1068 and Yeti Man like this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

51miles.jpg
    I rarely look at my odometer but I saw that it was at 00047 today so I got my camera out, turned it on and slowed down so the speedo needle wouldnt block the odometer numbers. By that time it was up to 00051

woodsnwater likes this.
  9. Mike

Mike

If I notice someone giving a wave or a thumbs up, etc., I try to acknowledge them. I'm usually to busy driving a 60+ year old machine in modern traffic, and probably don't notice about 2/3 of the time. The folks that are part of that 2/3 probably think I'm a jerk, but I don't worry much about it because I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing.

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what surprises me is sitting at a red light in my 61 Dodge and no one is looking at my car. people don't want to look at or hear from anything or anyone that is not on their phone.

11. 4speed411

4speed411

Now that is cruising traditional style...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

13. Somebody

Somebody

I don't see why it matters. Sounds like you are into cars for the wrong reason.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Riding shotgun in my spiffie OT 72 Comet my buddy had his arm out the window like in pic...Took me two years to get his arm print off the door!!

61Cruiser likes this.
  15. v8flat44

v8flat44

Don't pay much attention to who's look'n, but sure am blessed when kids from 5 to early teenage holler: "Hey mister, COOL CAR ! Go ahead kids, make my day....not all of our youth are lost in the phone ! mike

61Cruiser, Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  16. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, you can be rolling down the street and spy an adult with kid in tow on the sidewalk. You don't even register on the adult's radar screen but the kid does a double take. It's priceless.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  17. I have people taking pictures of my car too. Imagine all the ones I miss. I try not to look around too much when I'm out driving, hard enough to dodge the ones that are out to get us.

Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  18. I glance around covertly to see who's looking, while trying to look cool by not giving a shit. As for the elbow out the window, I do that 'cause it's comfortable. I think what amazes me is how many people don't seem to notice my loud obnoxious little T. I notice just about every old or exotic vehicle on the road, in a back yard or driveway, or parking lot...

Fitty Toomuch, 61Cruiser and Deuces like this.
  19. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, it's traditional. Riding the cruise circuit in your home town as a kid, down main street, side glance out of the corner of your eye at your reflection in the plate glass windows of the stores to see if you have your stance right.

20. As others have said "my car is cool, I am not".

clem and 61Cruiser like this.
  21. ned5049

ned5049

I did noticed and wave to an elderly lady walking with a walker stop and give my car the "thumbs up". Better than a trophy anytime !

22. Greenblade

Greenblade

Haha yeah me too

23. So, only dorks prop their arm up on the door when they drive? Sounds like a fucking dork came up with that! Bunch of judgmental pricks! ;):p

tr_rodder and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flipping through this old thread just cuz it came up. And then I saw this from @ned5049
    Oh my gosh. Sometimes I think I might be a bit of a puss, but I can't help it. When I read this I felt a wave of emotion. The old ladies' reactions are the best. So sweet. As I get older, I understand more clearly. Can you guys read this without feeling your heart swell? She actually stopped and let go of her walker to give him a thumbs up. Golly... it speaks volumes.

25. clem

clem

Often think that it’s mainly the older ones that appreciate the old cars.
    Kids have given me the 2 thumbs down as I drove past, others, - teenagers chased me all around town to ask if I would take them to the ball.
    I still have this car - only because I enjoy it, - no other reason.

2A1B756E-1EF7-49FF-9C97-CEC4ECB9E118.jpeg

obviously this puts me in the same category as @HOTRODPRIMER

26. Clem you dork :p:D:cool:

clem and hotrodjack33 like this.
  27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Can't See Them Or Anything Else...Perfect.. DSCN4414.JPG

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My Dad bought a 64 corvette coupe in 1970. He came and picked me up to go to the bank in another town and pay for it. We were cruising down main street and there was a bunch of kids waiting to get into the local theatre there. One of them yelled, Look at that old guy in that corvette!! Dad flipped them off and nailed it. We hauled ass down main street laughing all the way. Yes, my Dad was cool. LOL. Lippy

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driving a hot rod, arm out the window, sunglasses, ponytail blowing in the wind and a Rocky Pattel hangin' outta my mouth...I'm just so fucking cool, people can't help but notice.;):D

Guthrie1068 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not cool, but my car is. I smile and wave any time someone gets a kick out of one of my shitboxes. I drive them for my own amusement but knowing they brighten someone else's day is alright.

Yeah, I hang an arm out the window. Not enough room in a Model A for both my arms.

osage orange, tr_rodder and LOU WELLS like this.