Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 312 advice and value???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pheadrus, Aug 20, 2019.

1. It's entirely possible that a Y-block was OEM in that Metro as they bought chassis from various manufacturers.

One easy check to narrow down the year is to see if it still has the road draft tube on the front left side of the block. Those disappeared around '62, with the boss for it remaining but not machined; the 312 was gone by that time, all were 292s.

The 312 wasn't around that long. Installed in Fords for only two years ('56-57), and it soldiered on in Mercurys as the only Y-block offering until '60. The 292 took it's place in '61.

2. Pheadrus

Pheadrus

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge from everyone. The seller told me the entire drivetrain was swapped from a 56 T-bird. The Metro is a 63-64ish vintage. I'm up in nortern Ontario Canada so rust is a major problem. I haven't looked the Metro over closely to know whether it can be saved. I was mostly interested in the drivetrain for my F100's because the longbox has a Y block short block in it.

Can anyone identify the shifter and console? I'll post a pic of it. I know about the dot on the crank but didn't get a chance to pull the dust cover. If he lets me come over this weekend, I'll get the carb, intake, and block numbers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Looks like ‘65 mustang console and shifter,
    Cool swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’d be tempted to leave the engine in the Metro and fix it up! Then look for another Y block for the pickup.......said the man with tooooo many projects!

Bones

5. Pheadrus

Pheadrus

If the body and frame of the Metro are still solid, I'd consider leaving it. But I don't think the valve seats were changed out for hardened ones. He thinks it was rebuilt by some local stock car friends around 72-73 but his memory is a little foggy so who knows if the seats were done to run unleaded.

It's been in his garage for 20 years but it may have already developed cancer from the 35+ years it was driven in the salty winter roads here. I'll know more when I get it home.

For the console, I was guessing mid 60's Galaxie. It also has a front bumper from an early 60's car I want to idenitfy. I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Have a great weekend everyone.

6. Pheadrus

Pheadrus

The console doesn't seem to match to Galaxies, Fairlanes, or Mustangs.

7. town sedan

town sedan

Hard exhaust seats are not mandatory for unleaded gas.
    If the engine is hammered on a regular basis, like towing or heavy hauling, then exhaust valve recession can take place.
    If the engine is powering an ice cream getter then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Still not a bad idea to tear the engine down for an inspection, if you're concerned about the internal condition of the engine.
    -Dave