Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on C.A.E. quick change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UNCLECHET, Jun 10, 2012.

1. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

i'm looking at a model a pickup that has one of these quick changes. Can anybody tell me what experiences they've had with one of these? I've never known anybody that had one. Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

• cae.jpg
      cae.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
  2. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Here's another pic.

Attached Files:

3. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

C.A.E. Culbert Automotive Engineering -Santa Fe Springs, CA

I've built several of these over the years. They are very similar to a Halibrand Champ but stronger.

The one that I have now is going in my '37 Chevy.

If you don't like yours, send it over. I'm sure I could make a wall hanger or an ashtray out of it.

How many bolts hold the side plates to the center? Looks like a 12 bolt. I'm not sure of the axle bells you have.

5. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Thank you! That gives me some info to go on. It's a nice looking piece but just a little bit different then the Halibrands you normally see. Thanks again.

6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My first bought rear end was a CAE which went into a CAE designed super modified chassis in the early 60's. Before it I had an all steel home made QC that set the record for unsprung weight. These were followed by a Franklin and Winter's before going to the open tube. I don't recall the CAE giving any trouble other than a couple bent lower shafts and cracked bells which happens to ALL circle track cars when there are retaining walls, other cars rooting their way up through the pack and every possible track condition.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. deucemac

deucemac

Just to set the record straight, CAE was on Federal Avenue in San Diego just off highway 94. The owner, Jim Culbert bad his Shop foreman, John Cramer have both passed away several years ago. Much of he internals will interchange with Halibrand. Great units.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. pontman

pontman

Got a good friend who has run one for years in a 9sec drag car and also gone 195mph on the salt. That thing has never been apart according to him. Can't seem to find a pic.

Texas Webb and kidcampbell71 like this.