Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Santa Barbara TROG 2020?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NINE INCH, Jul 29, 2019.

1. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Has there been any talk of a repeat Santa Barbara TROG for 2020? I've seen no info. Any scuttlebutt out there

2. Considering that the California Coastal Commission just banned vehicles from the Pismo Dunes area it is hard to image that they would allow a TROG anywhere along the coast.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It was on a closed street the last meet, and I think is was because of the CCC and the town of Pismo that they went to the street.

4. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

That fizzled quick.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It still was a major hassle and I recall reading that they would not be doing it again.

I still say, let's move this out to El Mirage!

32Dan and 32Stoker like this.
  6. I was driving by Willow Springs Raceway recently. TROG popped into my head. It's privately operated. I sent the organizers an e-mail with the suggestion. They have an 1/8 mile set-up on the front stretch they use during the summer for "grudge night". There is a restaurant on site, a paved and dirt oval. Unfortunately all the hotels and good restaurants are in Lancaster/Palmdale a few miles away. Rosamond is pretty sparse. Who knows. Could that venue work?

7. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Love the El Mirage idea, but my guess is that the organizers/sponsors would never choose a location where they wouldn’t be ASSURED of making their money back on gate and concessions...

I vote Irwindale.

8. BuckFord

BuckFord

I love the idea of El Mirage but Irwindale might be a more viable location. Mooneyes gets a crazy big turn out so I feel TROG would do pretty well. Not that there is much of a car culture out here..:D

9. Hard to believe that there is no place in California that would allow sand drags... isn't this the birthplace of dune buggies and sand rails?

mctim64 and Blues4U like this.
  10. uncle buck

uncle buck

Isn’t this the tree hugging capital of America. They supposedly had representatives from environmental groups most of us have never heard of at the Last Beach event

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  11. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I haven't been but I feel a big part of the appeal is a cool location (preferably at a beach). Irwindale and Mojave are not like that.

NINE INCH, mctim64 and Xman like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We would all like to see another TROG event, but in a place like Santa Barbara that has plenty of attractions to make it a big, long weekend or short vacation. We drove through Rosamond plenty of times for our desert motorcycle racing adventures during 1964-67. We drove through the Lancaster/Palmdale area during those times, as well as taking a different So Cal driving trip through the desert climates in recent years. If the idea of just finding an open area like El Mirage for this event, the weather and conditions must play a big part in scheduling.

The tides did not do Pismo Beach justice, as that is something no one controls. The Santa Barbara area with its closed off ocean front race course was outstanding. It is a wonderful place for another event as the area can hold a lot of satisfied customers and enthusiasts.

After the last Santa Barbara event, locations for the next one, flew out like it might take place if enough people were backing the next West Coast project. The shoreline of Long Beach is also ripe for the picking with the automotive crazed events happening in April, every year. That brings tons of income to all of the businesses and hotels. Let alone, a portion of the shoreline streets have been designated as part of the Gran Prix races.

As nice as El Mirage and the So Cal Mojave Desert climate areas are, it just does not look like people would trek out there for a one time event. The hard core El Mirage/Bonneville crews and racers not withstanding. Places like Pomona and Irwindale have history, but the climate is not always a nice attraction for everyone. But, they do have the facilities. One thing is that the actual race tracks are nice, but then it would just be a bunch of old hot rods running at the local track. At least in Santa Barbara, it was a certified street next to a mile long beach.

A couple of places that are still viable are the Giant Hangar location at the Tustin Marine Air Base and it nearby open space neighbor. The giant hanger is still there, it is a historic site dating back before most of us were born. Inside the hangar would be outrageous, but outside would be historic as there were some drags back in the late 40s. It is not the Historic Santa Ana Drag Strip site, but close by in the middle of suburbia of Orange County. There is an approximately 1500 ft long pavement on one side and plenty of dirt areas on the other. The logistics being what they are, it could work. Drawback: it is very close to homes and businesses.
    upload_2019-8-22_3-35-50.png
    In an satellite map, one sees two large dirt open areas in the middle of Orange County. One is the Tustin Air Base and the other just South at the old, El Toro Air Base.

In the same general vicinity, the old, El Toro Marine Corp Air Base at the Great Park area is still around with plenty of open space to provide set ups of all kinds. Yes, there are homes in the area, but it is mostly open space ready to be developed into the Orange County equivalent of Central Park in NY. It might be the last time those long aircraft runways get used for some purpose. At least it is just steps away from the now, torn down OCIR raceway from back in those turbulent, odd, drag racing days.

A music event center just opened, a giant park is nearby, and there are plenty of areas to set up and run. There are plenty of places for foodies, and shopping is just across the freeway in a giant outdoor facility at the Irvine Spectrum. The original Cars and Coffee started in the same area near the shopping center, back in the beginning of those events. So Orange County does have the facilities with some history behind staging the TROG event in 2020.

Jnaki

So, in order to attract participation and attendance, something has to draw people to the area. A mile long shoreline race course along the waterfront was an outstanding location last year. It is too bad it seems like it will not be happening any time soon. So Cal weather along the coast line seems mild enough most of the year.

The spring and fall seasons are mild enough to ward off those breezy storms from the ocean. But, both of those times are in a contrast to the existing auto event in the spring and the fall season is school opening for many families. So, a hot summer beach style event is ripe for the choosing. That would spark a quiet beach front location to no end and make money for the local merchants.

But, then again, Orange County is totally freeway close and everything is already in place for the event. It comes down to city approval or county approval to stage such a weekend event. Let’s hope it all works out for the West Coast folks. (Especially in So Cal.)

Blues4U likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Great ideas!

jnaki likes this.
  14. I totally agree on the Antelope Valley being not a good location. But, if Willow Springs were in a better location, it would be a good venue. But then again TROG's core is being on the sand or there about. There just isn't enough in the surrounding area of Willow Springs for it to be "right".

15. 4woody

4woody

Doesn’t Nipomo- right next to Santa Maria- have a race track?

16. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Clay oval track & Nipomo is not a Pismo or Santa Barbara as far as destinations go.

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coastal Oregon has Oregon Dunes National Recreational Area near Florence, OR. Legal to drive on the beach and hotels and restaurants in Florence as well as other cities north and south on US 101. Might be more receptive to Trog than CA was. Just a thought.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

jnaki likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B,
    That Huntington Beach idea is pretty great. Back in our teenage days, it was surfing, parties and rock music at the Golden Bear that drew us to this city. Not only that, but a lot of hot rod/drag race friends cruised down the coast as a different area to experience as So Cal locals. That city always draws unusual public events to the city/beach areas and draws a lot of publicity for those different locations.

Miles of beachfront, from the undeveloped to the massive structure of the newly created resort areas and well designed public beach, uses the city’s resources to the public’s good graces. In this case, it was the hot rod “journey and the destination” all rolled into one coastal location.

Big concerts on the beach, night time hot rod cruises, big name surfing and volleyball events, the attractions near the famous pier, etc. The coastal drive down PCH runs all along the sandy beaches. But, along the beach side are miles of parking lots and a wide bike trail that could hold two cars side by side. From the pier area going South seems to be the place that most activity takes place.

Add in the huge vacation complex locations that extend the central city South makes for a wonderful attraction of travelers and So Cal locals. Now, the coastal commission would be a part of this equation, but that motorcycle event was right on the money for using what facilities were available...a short track on the sand? WOW... how creative ! HB has come a long way from our teenage days in So Cal.

Jnaki
    What a great idea and thanks for bringing that unusual event location back to the mix of possible sites for the next TROG event in So Cal. HB does have a lot of hot rod events, is local to many builders and is also freeway close to everyone in So Cal.

Blues4U likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, Huntington Beach epitomizes the whole So Cal experience, it's everything rolled into one. Some of the best beaches in the world right there (not to get into an argument about where the best beach is, but HB is surely one of the top). Hot rodding, surfing, skate boarding, everything about the 60's hot rodding scene was epitomized right there. And there's still a lot of it going on, with plenty of hot rod shops there and elsewhere within a few miles.

And not nearly as snooty as Santa Barbara. Don't get me wrong, it was a very cool location, but in reality it was not really hot rodder atmosphere. HB totally is. And the options for hotels and places to stay, there's none better anywhere, you have the entire Orange County area full of places (it is the home of Disney).

Look at this pic: [​IMG]
    The beach & ocean to the left, Pacific Coast Highway to the right. I think they just brought some sand in and laid it down for the event on top of the paved parking lot. No danger to the wild life like in Pismo, and no danger of high tide ruining the course.

And looks like a makeshift drag strip right here:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a perfect location to me.

Of course I'm biased, it's about a 45 minute drive for me, in traffic (less when the traffic is relaxed). I play there once a month in a club right down at the corner of Main St & PCH (in fact, I'll be hosting a jam there Sunday Sept 1, 1-5, if anybody's interested).

jnaki likes this.
  21. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Upon further reflection, I don’t think the old Irwindale venue would suit TROG at all. It’s too raw and doesn’t offer the beachhead-themed glam I think TROGladyte hipsters have come to expect.

HowwevAH, I do think Irwindale would be PERFECTLY suited to a new H.A.M.B. Drags Winter event...perhaps to coincide with GNRS. Ryan??

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    WiredSpider likes this.
  22. It’s happening Santa Barbara 2020

51 mercules and Chucky like this.
  23. Of course there's a 10,000 plus acres ranch just up from San Luis Obispo CA that has a paved airsrip that we've been using for over ten years for Time Trials for Ford 4 Bangers! Hot Rod magazine folks "discovered" it; and ran their "RPM Drags" last year. They're going to run their drags again on Oct. 26th. The owner has told me a number of times that he'd like someone to organize "Dirt Races"!
    FASTSM-7 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg ranch10 (2018_02_11 18_51_06 UTC).jpg ranch11 (2017_06_30 03_13_08 UTC).jpg ranch8 (2017_06_30 03_13_08 UTC).jpg ranch9 (2018_02_11 18_51_06 UTC).jpg

51 mercules likes this.
  24. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Anything new? I could see a Hill climb in Ojai, Something at the Fairgrounds in Ventura. Maybe on the river bed if the Santa Clara river bottom still drys up?
    C'mon Summer!

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Any news on this front? There's a teaser in Hop Up, but no details. I'd like to put in at work for the time off, reserve a room, it'd be great to get some news on this if they're returning this year. Anyone got the skinny on it?

26. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Any news, lots of people ready to spend some money on this event. Santa Barbara was a great location a real first-class venue.