Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical American Classic bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john worden, Aug 22, 2019.

1. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Anyone experience problems seating the beads on 820x15 American Classic bias look radials on 7" rims?

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned to keep them in the house for a couple of days after unwrapping them to allow them to get some shape back in them before mounting them...That and taking them to the local tire store and paying some kid to mount them for me.

belair and wvenfield like this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Billy,
    Mine arrived with one side wall collapsed enough that the beads were touching. Were yours?

4. I've ran into this issue on motorcycle tires more than once. I'll cut some spacers from scrap wood to hold the beads apart, then let them sit for a few days. It helps a lot….

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I put inner tubes in the tires to stretch em for a couple of days before I mount em

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I appreciate the feedback but I need it concerning specifically 820x15 American Classic bias look radials on 7" rims.
    I used inner tubes to open them up and the result is pictured. 102_2915.JPG 102_2916.JPG

7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Are these much different that the American Classic regular radial? The fore mentioned have worn well but will rattle your fillings.Keep us posted!

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

are those cracks on the sidewalls? I have zero experience with radials as all of my cars have bias plies. My 40 has 8.20's on the rear and mine are on 6 inch wide rims. the tread width on mine is only 5 inches or so. are the radials a similar width? I was always told no more than an inch difference between tire and wheel width...

9. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Just a guess, but I'll bet that crazing will wash off. The tires were probably coated with something to shield them from oxidation and possibly ultraviolet degradation during storage. When you flexed the rubber, the coating cracked. If the rubber is actually cracked, send them back.

sidevalve8ba, Blues4U, egads and 2 others like this.
  10. I,m with Fabber McGee . Also used wooden blocks a few times.

11. alchemy

alchemy

If that isn't a protective coating, and won't wash off, I'd send it back. Doesn't look good, no matter what kind of tire it is.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, they wrap them so tight that the beads are practically touching. Mounting them cold in that condition is a real pain in the patootie.

13. swifty

swifty

Local tire company who is Aussie Coker agent need 2 to 3 days warning before fitting these. They will not even try to fit them straight up. They use the inner tube method and even then it took them awhile to get them to seal. I have them on my coupe and had to wait the 3 days to get them fitted. Not cheap at over $1800 for a full hot rod set and I guess they're more now that our $$ has dropped further.

14. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The mold release agent is completely cleaned off. I can just catch my fingernail in the "webbing"
    Pictured is one of the tires that sat for at least a week before removing the tube. The bead gap was opened to 8 inches all the while and even sat in sunlight.
    Originally it was impossible to get fingers into the bead gap.
    They say I ballooned the side wall past it's limit. Seems to me that radial side walls balloon some in normal operation.
    They recommend bead stretchers but the tread is too stiff to collapse and force the beads to separate.
    I'll probably end up eating these tires as it too often its the buyers fault. 102_2921.JPG

15. Strange BS story, Would,nt that be a blowout explosion then ?

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

just run inner tubes in em.....

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, those look so close that the "can of ether and a match" method wouldn't even work. If you do run tubes, make sure you get tubes for radial tires.

18. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

I had a similar issue with Firestone bias ply. My tire guy used a pressurized air tank, while having the air nozzle on the valve stem, to blow high pressure air to seat the bead. Works well if they know how to do it.

19. Theres always the old can of starting fluid trick...…...

20. No problems here. HRP

[​IMG]