Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC with a manual trans in a 32 frame exhaust routing questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lrs30, Apr 19, 2019.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think the environment where the car spends the bulk of its time has a lot to do with the longevity of the system if it is to be wrapped.

lothiandon1940 and lrs30 like this.
  2. There's more than a little truth in that statement. But from what I've seen, if you live in a high-humidity area it's not a good choice.

lothiandon1940 and lrs30 like this.
  3. Wrapping the pipe overheats and deteriorates the integrity of the metal. ;)
    I like metal heat shields where needed.

lrs30 likes this.
  4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

will look up the Hutch built 32. or do you have a link?

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I may or may not keep it wrapped, I am in the trial and error mode of this build. I have experience with building bikes, and building various types of muscle cars, and older pickups, but this my Third attempt of a ground up build but the first one I have kept till its driving stage. The other builds have always ended up being sold before finished due to other people having more money than I could say no too. But who knows this one could be bought before its finished also..lol But the exhaust wrap may come off in areas and stay in others, and the exhaust may be redone in stainless in the future if I do keep it. Ive never actually seen exhaust rotted off because of a wrap job, but I have seen alot of them fly off over time. I was just trying to prevent any fiberglass to exhaust heat issues before it happened..

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thats what I do! hhahahah

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have seen a LOT of junk headers that were wrapped. We raced dirt late models and modifieds for many years and in that environment it killed header life. It would trap moisture in the wrapped areas and the tubes would crack and rot in a single season. I've seen wraps removed and the headers literally fall apart they were so full of cracks, have never seen that on unwrapped headers. Street cars that never see moisture and mud might work better but I will never use it. I built mine all of stainless and the headers are coated.
    SPark

Montana1 likes this.
  9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thread title : my 32 roadster project @ hutch built
    Don’t know how to get a link on the app, just do search, should be able to find it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IM003040.JPG IM003041.JPG IM003042.JPG Here is mine for what its worth.

lrs30, Dino 64 and Ron Funkhouser like this.