Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Driveshaft cost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Aug 14, 2019.

1. gatz

gatz

let me get back to ya on that in a coupla days.

2. GTS225

GTS225

3. jazz1

jazz1

Local shop charged $250CDN for mine,,it was about 6' long

4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I just had one done by Performance Driveline in Bakersfield for a 71 Chevelle 400 Turbo/9" Rear. Shaft, yoke and both universals delivered to my door for $320 and it is perfect. Very nice folks also.

olscrounger likes this.
  5. gatz

gatz

The length was shortened a couple inches; is now 49" from U-joint to U-joint.

Dodge Drive Shaft, Shortened.jpg

I furnished a NAPA 316 U-joint and the company that did the shortening and balancing supplied another similar; as they said there were "rough spots" in it when flexing.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always have new ones made for the 40's we do. New Ujoints, yoke etc--$275

7. I'm sure there will be some rolling eyeballs on this one, but since I've been doing it for 40 years with no problems, I'll post it. Most of the drivelines I've made were for early Fords with Chevy 4 speeds. I just found a driveshaft with the right u-joints that was too long. Always cut them at the rear end making sure the cut was nice and square. Clean up the rear u-joint retainer (what's this thing called?) and drive it back into the shortened shaft. Make sure it's timed right. I just laid a welding rod across each end and eyeballed them. It will pretty much square itself but some careful measuring will make it perfect. Tack it once, check measurement, tack opposite side, recheck. end up with 4 tack welds. Make a nice mig bead and throw it in the car. Never felt the need to balance one. Have driven thousands of miles with zero problems.

Nostrebor and Yamagrant like this.
  8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I googled "driveshaft repair,reno,nv" & quite a few came up, start there

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I had one made for my '32 Ford about a year ago. All new including yoke and joints for $200 from Fast Shafts in Des Moines IA. IDK if that is their going rate or a special because I know the owners son, but it looked and fit good. They build tons of shafts for the stock car crowd so they know how to make ones that will get beat on and not break.

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

X2 on Tom Woods. Made the splined shaft for my '31 and as I recall paid less than $300.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Going rate here is $500 with new weld yokes in addition to a slip yoke.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X3. He has made a bunch for me.